3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a thought about turkeys and trad gear  (Read 441 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
a thought about turkeys and trad gear
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
I've got a recent story about birds, shotguns, and longbows. Yesterday a guy shot a turkey TWICE with a shotgun and the wounded animal headed for a nasty thicket. Since the hunter didn't pursue it, I dispatched the bird with my longbow when it made it onto my friend's property late in the afternoon.

While cleaning up the bird I was trying to figure out how a guy blasted a bird at close range with a shotgun and didn't kill it on the spot. I believe he went for the "Texas heart shot" and I think the shot was low. Looked like about #2 shot breaking several leg bones, and lodging in joints. The follow up shot wasn't a miss either. I was shocked to find a bunch of what appeared to be about #8 shot embedded in the skin over it's back. I'm guessing as it was flopping away with it's wings and the person shot it again with whatever shotshell they had on hand.

I could describe the arrow wound, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words:

I believe this tackle to be very lethal and completely ethical when proper shot placement is available. I'm real sorry some of you guys are having a hard season, just wanted to offer this up as a little encouragement for anyone looking for some.

Whatever gear you decide take afield, the very  best of luck to all of you!
Thom

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: a thought about turkeys and trad gear
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
My first and only turkey as one that stepping out into the trail in front of me at 18 feet!!!  Re-acted, dropped to my knee and an arrow ended up in his boiler room, broke one leg going in and hit one drumstick on his off side leg.  He was stopped flopping by the time I got to him.
MOAB and 160 grain Magnus Mag I did the trick.  
   :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I have shot several turkeys with my longbow, and all but one of them died in seconds. The one that didn't was hit poorly and it was my fault, not his, that he got away. When they are hit in the right place, they die, be it by bow, shotgun, AR15, or howitzer.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
You might suggest to your shotgun neighbor across the fence that body shots on turkeys with a shotgun are a no no.  In Wisconsin, shot larger than no. 6 isn't legal for turkeys to prevent against just such behavior.  A load of 6s in the head will do em in every time.  In the body, not much.  Neither will 4s or 2s in the body.  Too many feathers to stop the pellets. Of course, the fella may have just taken a shot that was way too long and his pattern spread out to the bird's entire body. Regardless, no.2 shot is also a bad idea.

Yep.  An arrow in the right place makes quick work of a turkey.  I managed to really drill the last two I shot, and neither went 10 yards after the arrow hit.  Doesn't always happen that way, but nice when it does. Been at it several long days this spring, but no Toms in range yet.  Long, hard winter with deep snow seems to have reduced the bird population a little around here.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Not sure what to make of the shotgun hit- as the hunter may not understand what it takes to kill a turk.  Needs a little education. . .  Congrats you were able to get it done with the trad gear!  

With that said- the problem I see in our cyber world is we rarely hear of real life failures. I personally know of many turk losses in contrast to recovery with ALL types of archery (at least 4/1 in past week or so). Most of these losses are not for a bad decision or apparent shot.

If we were honest- I really wonder if we have less a concern for losses on birds as we have on other big game. I agree that an "arrow in the right place. . ." is the key (which applies to turkeys or Bengal Tigers!).  But therein is the rub. Variables! The right place on a turkey's body has a lot of variables- not limited to vital's less than 3" dia., limited blood trail, a bird's body that can easily move/shift upon impact, etc.

After hearing all the first hand reports over the years, I decided a long time ago that my ethical shot is a head shot with a broadhead (same size as vitals). I do the same with a shotgun.  

My 2C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
I just returned from my annual spring hunt and lost my first turkey     :(    I have shot a fair amount of birds over the years and some die right on the spot and some take a bit of tracking. This particular bird was shot right through the body in what looked like a great hit. The off side leg broke and he really struggled to run away, but run away he did. I followed him and his three buddies up a steep slope, he had about an eighty yard head start on me. His buddies left him quickly and I thought I was going to walk right up to him and dispatch him easily. He continued very slowly upward and stopped in a thicket, I had him ! I got to 20 yards knocked and arrow and was looking for a hole to shoot through when he made his move. He went out the other side took one awkward hop and "flew" down the ridge. I was shocked he could get off the ground. He left a trail of feather to follow for fifty yards. My hunting partner and I looked for another two hours and found no sign of him and no more feathers to follow, we where in some pretty thick pines on a steep slope. We were going to look the next day for him but it snowed about three inches and there was no chance we would have been able to see him. That was one tough bird. I punched my tag and called it a hunt.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
All of my yrs hunting them has lead me to one conclusion. They are extremely tough!!!
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:05:00 AM »
I'm never really been a against the grain/flow type of person, but on this topic I'm a little different than most I guest. Not starting any thing but I have taken more turkeys than one person should be allowed over the years. No, I did not hunt them illegally,all were taken with tags that were purchased through Texas Parks & Wildlife, I just tagged out every year, year after year. I have not shot a turkey with a rifle or shogun in a very long time, but when I did, a #4 was very deadly, even if the shot was not a great one. One of the most awesome meals you will put in your mouth is a freshly taken wild turkey sliced into thin strips and chicken fry it with gravy and biscuits. Oh, you have to dip it in ketchup also    :thumbsup:

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Redfeathers:
I'm never really been a against the grain/flow type of person, but on this topic I'm a little different than most I guess. Not starting any thing but I have taken more turkeys than one person should be allowed over the years. No, I did not hunt them illegally,all were taken with tags that were purchased through Texas Parks & Wildlife, I just tagged out every year, year after year. I have not shot a turkey with a rifle or shogun in a very long time, but when I did, a #4 was very deadly, even if the shot was not a great one. One of the most awesome meals you will put in your mouth is a freshly taken wild turkey sliced into thin strips and chicken fry it with gravy and biscuits. Oh, you have to dip it in ketchup also     :thumbsup:  

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
I have never heard of anyone intentionally shooting a turkey in the body with a shotgun. The fella trying a "Texas Heart Shot" on a gobbler with a shotgun needs some counseling...
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
I have never heard of anyone intentionally shooting a turkey in the body with a shotgun. The fella trying a "Texas Heart Shot" on a gobbler with a shotgun needs some counseling...
I did. Years ago. I was young and very excited. Never even thought of the head at the time. Put bead on center of bird and pulled the trigger. I knew right away what I did wrong, as the bird(s) flew away. Live and learn.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
I've been at this turkey hunting thing for a long long time and have taken my share... lost my share as well.

My thoughts on the matter are pretty much set in stone.
1. ALWAYS use a string tracker.
2. Use the biggest broadhead you can get to fly well.
3. Shoot them from behind.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Wow there are lots of great thoughts, perspectives, and experiences on here. Thanks everyone for sharing them. I'm glad I started this thread while this was on my mind.

This situation makes me really thankful I've got the good neighbors that I do around my place! None of them shoot a bow, but I respect the way all of them pursue their game.
Thom

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
So is it Turkey Chili this weekend at the Spring shoot?
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »
I would never shoot a turkey in the breast area on purpose with a #4 much less any other bird shot. I love the meat too much, you can have the beard    :thumbsup:  There are a bunch of gentlemen on here giving us all lessions where to shoot though!!!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick Butler:
We were thinking one breast into the chili, then slice the other into strips, roll in flour and spices, then fry them up for a camp snack.   Hopefully you are in for that!
Thom

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Works for me Thom!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick Butler:

Thom, that's a meal for champs!!! It's very hard to beat wild turkey breast cut into thin strips,add flour and spices fried  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©