3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dulling Down a Bow  (Read 604 times)

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dulling Down a Bow
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
I have longbow that I would like to hunt with it but it has been refinished with an extremely glossy finish. I would like to dull it down to a matte or flat finish.

I considered painting it but don't want to cover the wood. I like the way it looks. I looked into having it refinished but I don't have a lot into this one and can't justify paying more for the refinishing than I did for the bow. I have considered trying some 000 steel wool but not sure what it would do.

Any of you do it yourselfers have a suggestion?
Something that worked for you in the past?

Thanks.

John
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dulling Down a Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Old timers used to use paste wax on the bow and not rub it out to dull it down for hunting.  It waterproofs also.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
A give my high gloss Tru-Oil finished bows a quick spray of satin poly to cut the shine of the Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
X2 on the paste wax...nice and dull for hunting then after season nice and polished.    :thumbsup:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Does the past wax make a mess when you're handling the bow or create a problem in higher temps?

Sounds like a quick and easy fix. Thanks.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
I rub string wax on mine then smear it around with my thumb. It's a lot thicker than paste wax. At the end of the season I buff it in with a rag. Works great.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Satin poly spray was my first thought but wax will just wipe off.
Live and let live.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Sand paper. Just kidding I use string wax also.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
I rub string wax on mine then smear it around with my thumb. It's a lot thicker than paste wax. At the end of the season I buff it in with a rag. Works great.
I use paste wax but NEVER during hunting season.  It has a very strong chemical smell.  
Camo make up works really well too all colors and it cleans right off.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Cloth camo tape on the limbs.  Helps prevent some of the dings and scratches, too.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
I use limb skins on mine. Loose the shine, camo it up and helps to protect from scratches.
Denny

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Limbsations
Onestringer.com
Slickhead

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
0000 will work. I think you'd find the 000 a little "scratchy"

Also take a look in the paint section of WalMart. There are clear flat sprays that will do the job and if put on lightly will come right off when you are ready.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
I also use string wax. My friend uses paste wax both work fine and remove easily after the season.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
String wax worked for me last year.  Years ago my mom sewed some sleeves out of camo parachute material that worked ok as well.
I have also applied a coat of satin finish that has held up. That was about twenty years ago so I don't remember what it was. I think I just knocked it down wit some steel wool as well.

I did spend the money to have one of my favorite bows refinished with a tough satin finish. I know you said you could not justify spending the money, but I am most satisfied with this result. Some people have mentioned they like the looks of the original finish better, and I am a sucker for high gloss finish- just not on a hunting bow. I think if I were in your shoes I would just do a little more research, maybe call a bowyer or two and refinish it myself and be done messing with it.
This:

To this:

Best to you,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Dulling down the finish is simple and doesn't require any additional finish.I use Brownell's Stock Rubbing Compound.It is made for exactly that purpose  and is no more difficult than waxing the bow.Just rub the bow down with it and and wipe off the residue.It is easy to get a very even,satin look and the finish will be smooth as silk.It takes only minutes to do.

Birchwood Casey sells a similar product,they call Stock Sheen and Conditioner.It works exactly the same way and you may be able to find it in a local,sporting goods store.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
You can take 320-400 grit sand paper and lightly touch sand it being careful to go one direction, then use 0000 steel wool on her... the 0000 steel wool might do the trick by itself.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. I'm going to try the wax first and see what that does. Still thinking it may be messy but it's the easiest to try.

The results I'm looking for are just what MnFn has posted in his pics. I like the rubbing compound idea as well. If I try the steel wool, which was my first thought, it will be on a small spot first. No sense screwing up the whole bow.

These are all good and worth a try. If anyone has a different idea than those posted, I'm willing to hear it.

Thanks again.

John

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I know this doesn't do much for the riser, but this is my plan-

Camo Bow Socks
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/Camo+Bow+Socks_i4423X_baseitem.html

Supposedly they work better on recurves than longbows because of the wider limbs, but they're removable, there shouldn't be any scent and based on the pictures, fairly effective camo
Bear Archery Grizzly 58" 40@28

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
I've use string wax on my bows for years. No downside and works great.Just buff it off after season.

God bless, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©