3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: strings: type, materials, and expectations.  (Read 604 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: strings: type, materials, and expectations.
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
can't ever go wrong with good ol' bcy d'97.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: strings: type, materials, and expectations.
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
 hmpe bowstrings are first and foremost about increased consistency over stretchy dacron.
I agree.  They are also lots more durable.

As far as imparting more shock to the limb tips....  

I know that I can put an HMPE string on a bow that is shocky with polyester ("dacron"), and the shock is greatly reduced.  Seems to me if the lack of stretch was imparting more energy to the limb tips, we'd get more shock in the riser rather than less.  I'll leave the explanation of why to folks who have a better understanding of physics than I do.

Dynaflight '97 and Dynaflight 10 (Force 10) are practically the same material (SK75 Dyneema vs. SK78 Dyneema), just a little different diameter.  The feel can be different between colors, or even between batches of the same color.

I need to start making my own hmpe strings for my mild r/d longbows and my Hill bows. Which one is a good one to start with?
Dynaflight '97 and 8125G are still VERY good materials, but if you are going to stick with just one or two I'd go ahead and start with the best there is.  For a 100% HMPE material, 8190.  For a blend (and slightly softer feel, and even more stability) BCY-X.

8190 is 100% SK90 Dyneema--the highest grade available.  BCY-X is 17% Vectran and 83% SK90 Dyneema.  I like 18-20 strands with either one--both are very small diameter strands--about 1/2 the diameter of Dynaflight '97.  Won't be a fat string, but not so skinny that you have to do anything special to get a proper nock fit.

BCY-X is my favorite to date.  I've found it to be VERY quiet (only need one small set of cat whiskers), VERY stable, and so far very durable (haven't shot it enough to say for sure, but so far the string still looks new after quite a few shots).  The test bow is a Samick Journey (retails for around $130).

If you want to try either of these, give me a holler and I can get you a deal.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©