3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some help guys lookin to step up  (Read 556 times)

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some help guys lookin to step up
« on: April 27, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Hey guys, looking for some in put here I'm pretty new to Traditional. I started with just a simple cheap recurve. Just to be sure I would like traditional. Well I'm hooked now big time. I'm wondering what a good bow for me would be that wont break the bank. So give me a hand here guys if you would. Thanks
Chase Brown

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some help guys lookin to step up
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Would probably help to know your price range! I suggest looking at  www.rmsgear.com  they are sponsors here and have a great bow inventory, new and used.  Or become a member contributing member here or whatever it's called so you can look at the classifieds. You can often pick a perfectly good used bow for half or less of what they go for new. Also if you can make it to a big trad shoot there will be bowyers there so you can test fire before you buy.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
I'm looking to stay around the 500 dollar mark
Chase Brown

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
If you have any trad shoots in your area take the time to visit different dealers and shoot as many bows as you can. This time o year there are lots of trad shoots going on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
Denton Hill is mecca of trad shoots.  It is in late July in North Central PA. You'd be like a kid in a candy store there!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
What you want is kind of simple really but more info is needed. What draw weight do you want? Whats your draw length? What will you hunt or are you not a hunter? Longer bows are the best for taller people as your draw length may pinch your fingers with a shorter bow. Welcome to trad shooting by the way.

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
I'd like to stay in the 50 to 55 # range. draw length is 29. And I hunt religiously.
Chase Brown

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
keep your eye peeled right here on the classifieds,  if you are patient you kind find top name bows for a fraction of new .  I see top customs that normally run $800 - 1200 going for $500 - 700, some times lower.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Those are wide open numbers there then. At 29" I myself wouldnt go any below 60" bow. 62"-64" wont pinch and will shoot very hard with that draw length. My personal choice at that price range would be a used Bear Super Kodiak  at 62". I happen to think the best bang for the buck is the older Shakespeare Bows. Necedah or an Ocala are under- appreciated and priced super right these days. I just paid $157.00 for a 55# x17 Ocala and its a fine recurve.

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I was thinking about a bear grizzly or something along those lines
Chase Brown

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
I strongly suggest you go to ETAR at Denton Hill the last weekend of July. There will be more bows there to try out than you could possibly imagine. New, used, all price ranges. Most of the top bowyers in the country will be there.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I'd spend twenty or thirty bucks of that budget and become a contributor on here and watch the classifieds like a hawk watches a mouse. Top end bows go for that much or less all the time on the classifieds, some of them are new.  But nothing beats shooting a bow before you buy!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Go to Denton and save yourself A LOT of money buying and selling.  You can test drive lots of bows.  There is a rule of thumb for bow length but design also has a large influence.  I also draw just over 29" myself and there are a number of models out there that are 56-58" that will handle that DL like nothing.  Longer bows are more forgiving of error though.  Go to Denton.  And yes the classifieds rock.  Lots of bows in 9/10 condition going for hundreds less than new.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Yeah I know about ETAR just don't know if I can wait that long guys. I'm crawling up the walls here I got bite by this bug something fierce
Chase Brown

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
Getting in a hurry to buy a bow will bite you in the butt almost every time! Buy low sell high ; ^)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
New, I'd go with a Bear Grizzly or Super Kodiak, or a Martin Hunter.
Used, I'd prob go with the same, lol. Those 3 bow designs have been around a long time so that says something and I don't think you could go wrong. The hardest part would be deciding length as the Grizzly is 58", the SK is 60" and the Hunter is 62". I own 2 of the 3 and have shot the Hunter extensively and my draw is close to 29". Good luck.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
Maddog has a bow listed in the sponser's classifieds that might work for you. $395 shipped.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
Where do you live?  Lots of Trad guys in PA.  I live near Carlisle.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Getting in a hurry to buy a bow will bite you in the butt almost every time! Buy low sell high ; ^)
Some good advice above. Some great bows to be had on the classifieds right here on Tradgang at that price. More importantly, since you're new, test a few bows out and getting a feel for what suits you may be the most important advice of all. If the $500 is what you have an you're going to have to live with that for a year or two, I'd suggest the following:

Learn how to use the search function here on Tradgang and review old threads/reviews on bows. Make yourself a chart/list and start filling in the chart as to what the pro's and con's of the reviews are.

Purchase a membership on Tradgang so you can see what bows are listing and selling for. This will give you a feel for bow prices and if something will fall into your range with patience.  

Remember the old indian adage--'any bow good bow, good arrow heap much work'. A lot of guys could take a used 62" Martin Hunter or 60" Bear Super Kodiak, purchased for $200 and match it with some great wood or carbon arrows and still have money left over in your budget and shoot circles around a great custom bow and inexpensive arrows.

Patience grasshopper and you'll be better off in the long run.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
Go to the classifieds and buy used. Trust me, it'll probably take a few to find one that really turns you on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©