3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gobblepazoolza 2014  (Read 1617 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gobblepazoolza 2014
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
This was a Very Special hunt for me as my son Zach was on his first turkey hunt in fact this is really his first year hunting!  He shot a hog on the Bacon Strip with me two years ago and this fall spent a lot of time chasing elk around Crested Butte...but this was his first hunting camp!  Hopefully he'll fill in on his experience.

Before I go much further I'd like to thank Bill Dunn for sending me some of his new three blade 190 Grizzly broadheads.  These were seconds but in fact they looked like first quality to me.  Being a bladesmith, it's pretty easy for me to get a sharp edge on my knife grinder set up...but what I was interested in was...

1) How well they flew & penetrated with a lower poundage bow.  Being an old man, I shoot 40 to 45 pound bows.

2)  Just as important, how easy is it to re-sharpen them in the field...even if you happen to missss!

A little tease for when a few stories unfold...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Well done Mike, looks like you're getting pretty attached to that Bear T/D. Can't wait for the rest of the tales!

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Jeff, can't wait for you and Zach to tell us your turkey tales. Are the two of you going to be in La Tuque this June?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Mike,
We won't be able to make the trip to Canada.  Zach has just landed a large blacksmithing project doing all the railings on a five floor apartment complex.  I seemed to have torn something in my right knee at the PBS gathering.  I'll probably be needing some surgery when we head back to Boston.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Great story so far, as always. Congrats on the decoy killer Mike! Tippit sorry to hear about the knee, good luck.  I am looking forward to the rest of your turkey story.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Some day, when I grow up. I would like to go on this hunt.   :D

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Bill I have one of your heads that Tippit loaned me. Seeing that I Ummm mmmmissssed each time I had it on my bow, I am going to test it on my next Illinois bird  :)   Cant wait to try it out! Tippit did some work with them  ;)
Mike Davenport

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Actually Bill the Ummm Mmmisses were just as important as the ones that connected.  I'm a fanatic on how sharp a knife or broadhead is.  I have a bad habit of picking up any knife that's lying around camp, feeling the edge, and if dull sharpening it.  It was easy to get the Grizzly three blade sharp on my knife grinder...but they were so easy to sharpen with just a file laid flat on two edges.  With a couple of strokes and rotate to the next, it took about two rotations to get them razor sharp again.  They were easier to field sharpen then my usual two blade heads.  

The misses from all of us proved how sturdy these broadheads really are.  One slammed into a fence post and others caught ground sand.  There were no bent tips even though I kept the end as a needle point.

As to arrow flight, I use 200 gr field points and these heads flew exactly the same for me.

My final criteria was penetration for a lower poundage bow.  Both Mike & Zach shoot heavier bows so that wasn't an issue, but for me that is paramount.  For the past 5 years I would only shoot 2 blades...now I'm switching to these 190 gr three blade Grizzlys for everything.  JMHO...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Man Mike,  might as well stick a knife in my gut and twist it! Those pictures brought back vivid images in my mind! It was hard to miss this hunt and I woke up every morning wondering how it was going.  

But I am glad to see that little honey hole pay off again.  It's such a cool set up to be able to watch the birds work their way hundreds of yards across the bottom and ends up right in your lap!  

Great stuff so far,  but I know this one had barely begun.  Carry on!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Congrats guys, gotta love Turkey hunting, very exciting,
A great challenge and at a great time of year. Well done
Gentlemen.

Roy
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
Just like Whip....been thinking about you guys every day you were there and not at all surprised at the success or fun you had.   Bet Ryan is bigger than me this year. Keep it rolling.  I know you got more.     :thumbsup:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Great turkey tales so far!I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks for the recap on the broadheads performance, Jeff! I truely appreciate you guys putting this head to the test for me.
Mike, I'm sure those Illinois birds will pay for your Nebraska miss.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Sheltoncreeker aka Dirtnap Dave is off riding a train. 12 hours in the car with me then he gets home to get on a train for 2 days to work. Here he is in happier times:

*Brothers

I also had an idea on the way out. I am a Snickers candy bar freak. I take one in my pack in deer season and play mind games with myself. I won't let myself have my snickers until 10 am on stand, then proceed to make slowly eating a candy bar an art form. By the time I am done it is 11 and I have burned another hour in my tree. So I bought 8 candy bars...one for the birds I thought we'd kill. Course I changed my mind and got hungry and ate one on the drive   :)   So, you kill a bird, you get a Snickers. Let's just say I underestimated my camp mates! Here's the first morning prior to our hunt:

*Underachieved

So while we are waiting on Dave to pull off his Casey Jones act, here's a little foreshadowing and some random pics:

*Second again

*Where eagles dare

*Les Hombres
Mike Davenport

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
High praise for those broadheads.  I think I like!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Congrats thanks for sharing it!

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
First morning with my knee bummed up, I choose to hunt blinds that Nick had set up around the house/barn area that I could be driven to.  I had planned all year to try run & gun with my ghillie & decoys...not to be this year  :(    Then again not so bad as I had 19 birds in roost 150 yards from me...

All morning, I had Hens & Jakes all over me as close as 5 yards plus 4 strutting Toms that wouldn't come close enough.  I had decided I wanted a Tom or a Merriam so I just enjoyed the show.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
I have a bunch of short videos on an SD card...but I have no idea of how to post    :knothead:   Any help would be appreciated.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
This is great.  Thanks for sharing guys.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I can't wait to see the final tally of how many of those candy bars got ate!

Bisch

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
:campfire:  Awesome hunt guys...Congrats to you All!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©