3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Decoys  (Read 458 times)

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Decoys
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
This year is really the first time in my 38 year Bowhunting career that I finaly found a place that have Turkeys. If I had had the places to Turkey hunt over the years like I have for deer hunting, I probably would have a number of turkeys to my account. I was out this morning and had 5 different Tom Turkeys in sight. Two of the Toms came in running when they saw the decoys, and when they got to approx 25-30 yards from the decoys they went into the woods edge and would not come into my setup. The 3rd Tom came in from the right of my blind and walked right by my setup at approx 30 yards and he did not come into the setup either. What I want to know, is what type of decoys do you veteran Turkey hunters use? I think I have to get more realistic looking turkey decoys. Here is a couple of pics of the ones that I was using. Please let me know what you think. But man you talk about an exciting morning, I thought for sure I was going to get a shot this morning, but no cigar. Thanks

Tony

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Decoys
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Those look good to me.  I have a turkey thugs feeding hen and a funky chicken.  They don't look like the real deal to me, but they lured 2 birds within 35 yards.  If you take what tv shows have to say to heart, than you are not prepared unless you have taxidermy grade replicas as decoys, 1/2 dozen mouth calls, several different striker plates with a many different strikers and a turkey specific shotgun WITH A SCOPE.  I think alot of turkey have been killed with a whole lot less.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
I will weigh in.  I killed three birds this season in two states.  The easterns hands down are more warry of any kind of decoy, but I will say after years of trying all kinds, that the dsd flock has brought four easterns in a row to 7 yds.  That is in the last two years.  They were like 450 for the flock which is pricey,but to me worth every penny.  

Realistic decoys doooooooo!!!! make a difference in most cases.  

I have seen them work so many times now, that I feel confident sitting all day if need be.  

Good luck, Hope this helps.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
I have the cheap decoys and they do not seem to work to good down here for me. I have read about how well the DSD and AvianX decoys work, but have not as of yet let loose of the $$$ to get them. I will say that I do believe that the more realistic they are, the better they will work. A good friend of mine is a taxidermist and he mounted a hen just to use as a decoy and he swears by that thing.

Good luck on those birds, Tony!

Bisch

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
I have some of the Montana decoys, and the turkeys around here could seemingly care less whether the decoys are present or not. They show a total disinterest in them, so I have quit putting them out, and the turkeys are still showing up. Today it is blowing 40 to 50 mph, so I'm giving the turkeys a break, but tomorrow I will set up with Big Jim's Bush in a Bag and no decoys, and I have had jakes to within 5 yards with this setup, but I'm an idiot and held out for a big gobbler. I may live to regret that decision.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Tony, until you use the good decoys you will never know what you missed. Good decoys are as necessary to bowhunters as
Good equipment. This past weekend I had 6 Longbeards within 10 yards, everyone of them was determined to destroy
My Jake decoy. I only had two gobblers that did not pay any attention to them and they had 11 hens with them.
  I've shot three birds this year already with this setup, my partner has shot four. That's 4 Easterns and 3 Rio's in two different states. They work, just get one hen and a Jake that's all you need, really you only need a Jake, but because your calling to the birds, I always have a hen.
  Now I use the Dave Smith Decoys because I think they are the most realistic decoys you can buy. My partner uses the
Zink decoys, very realistic as well, with equal success. The
Dakota decoys are realistic as well. I would suggest one of these brands, one Hen ( upright ) so she is more visible and one Jake. You don't need a flock, you don't need a breeding
Hen, just the two. Now I'm not baseing this on just a couple trips, with random success, but years of serious Turkey hunting with continuous opportunities for close range shots.
Now whether you hit them or not is another matter!!!

Roy
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
I have a cheap bass pro hen decoy which I velco real wings on set down low with a Dakota decoy Jake over top her and a avian x upright hen in my set up..... I killed 2 toms last year in 3 very exciting hunts and have had 4 toms in my set up so far this year in 3 hunts..... I feel the best part of the set up is the Dakota Jake it truly drives the toms into fight mode and makes them close the distance. Set the Jake hen combo at 5-7 yards from the blind and get ready its a blast.

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more with the previous posts.  I use the Avian X Jake and breeder hen.  If I was going to choose to only spend good money on one it would definitely get the jake.  That thing seems to touch a nerve in tom's that forces them to get close and reek total havoc.  Since I had mine I've killed birds at 8 and 10 yards.  I want close shots on birds that aren't focused on anything other than the decoy, and the more realistic decoys seem to do just that.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
I completely agree with having a quality decoy. I use an Avian Jake and two PHD hens and I witness many fights with toms each year as they hammer my decoys. It is the best money you could ever spend on turkey hunting.

Offline PaLongshank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Tony....I have the identical jake decoy and two hens (same manufact as the jake).  Since I bought them....many yrs ago....I have always had issues gettting gobblers in really close and around them...so, before last season, I repainted them and added some real turkey feathers to make them look more lifelike.  Worked like a charm as I filled both Pennsylvania tags.....while having mature longbeards in amongst them when they met their demise!  The second bird harvested was one of three longbeards that strutted and gobbled directly into set up...coincidence? maybe....regardless it proved I did the right thing making them look as lifelike as I could!  good luck PaLongshank
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Any of the Avian hens or Best turkey decoy. I run with a Best turkey decoy jake, Avian feeding hen and breeder hen. That's what works for me.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I have used a cheap set of Feather Flex folding decoys for many many years with great success.  Decoy sets are like calling sometime the pay attention and come in and sometime they pay not mind to you at all.  Set up the hen on the left real low like she is inviting the Tom over with the Jake behind her.  Or you can spend lots of $$$$ on high dollar decoys and see if it works better for you.
T ZZZZ

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Tony, here is my Avian hen with the real deal. I have had 12 shots in three years over my Avian dekes...8 got a ride in my truck. I won't bowhunt these demon birds without them  :)

Mike Davenport

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
The old saying "you get what you pay for". Rings true with decoys.  I love turkey hunting so I might be bias, but as some others have said, the more realistic your set looks the better your odds are.  I don't think you can go wrong with Dakota extreme jake and the hen or with avian or DSD.  You could probably wait until season is over and get some on sale somewhere and gear up for next year. JMHO

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
On another note Tony, I've used the exact decoys you have pics of for years.  But has soon as I got my Dakota jake and a realistic hen my success and sightings increased ten fold.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
most decoys are designed for shotgun distance, and they do not have to be detailed as much as a decoy you would want to use for bowhunting, Now I am a bullhead type broadhead user and my shots are always going to be under 10 yards and mostly under 8 yards, So with these distances I need a decoy that will bring them in that close with out getting suspicious and let them hang around. The DSD's I use will do that. I believe there are other decoys that will do this as well, BUT they are not cheap, not overly expensive but enough, On the bright side they will be the last decoys you will ever buy. I guess its sort of like Binoculars

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
I have two avian x feeder hens and one avian x breeder hen and will be trying for the first time a "funky chicken"Jake decoy. I've not had much luck in the past with Jake and strutter decoys but think this new one might bring out the bully in them. I bought all three of my avian x decoys on sale post season and basically got one of them free so watch for sales and it will take some of the sting out of buying them. Rocky Mountain Speciality Gear(sponsor) are handling avian x decoys now.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Tony,
 While I use AvianX decoys, sometimes movement can make a difference. Even on my AvianX jake, I use a length of fishing line from the blind to the decoy leg so I can give it a tug and impart a little movement.
 I've also found that the toms want to see the jake decoy's head so I point the jake at the blind, forcing the tom to come to the head.
  Maybe this could help with the decoys you already have - worth a try.
                    Good luck,
                      Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
I have the Avain X decoys, a jake and hen and the made a huge difference in my success and also use a string on the decoys.

doug77

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Tony, I sent you a PM.  I don't think that the looks of the decoy is as important as they way that they are set up. I set up with the Jake bringing up the rear.  I set him at about 12 to 10 yrds from my blind walking in.  if you look at the Jake decoy in the pic, he ain't much to look at, but I had my Osceola come right to it, and Kent Zocher killed two beauties over it.

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©