3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads: unmodified or modified?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Broadheads: unmodified or modified?
« on: September 21, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »
I was just curious to know how many of you prefer a modified grizzly broadhead or just sharpen and use it a it is...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads: unmodified or modified?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
ttt
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
I'm using them unmodified since I prolly wont be chasing Mbogo  any time soon. lol I'm just switching over to right wing fletching to get all the advantage of the rotation.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
I dont even know the difference between the two of them?  So I guess I shouldnt vote.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
if you have to modify them why use them ther are plenty of good heads you do not have to touch and have cleanly taken the largest game think arrow weight and shot placement I have heard lots of opinions on broadheads single bevel and I think it is much hype about nothing where I come from you do not need a majic broadhead just keep what ever you shoot scary sharp and only shoot droadways shots you will find you do not need the single bevel modifed head they are for tinkers and probably ruin more good broadheads and cut more fingers so why do it  :help:
Gord

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
ttt

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
when I say modify, I talking about what Dr. Ed Ashby says

Offline Tom Krein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
If you read through the report by Dr. Ashby you will see that the modified Grizzly's give you an error margin.  What if your shot is slightly off and you hit a shoulder??  The report also shows a major difference in soft tissue damage.

The report convinced me!  I will be using them this fall.  Do you NEED them to kill deer?  Probably not!  Lots of deer have been killed with traditional double edged broadheads or unmodified Grizzly's.  I personally want as good a broad head as I can possibly get, with as much penetration and tissue damage!

Tom

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
I'm with Tom, If I have a broadhead, and I can make it better, I will.

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »
How can you possibly make a broadhead that does complete passthru's on elk and deer any better? I don't hunt cape buff and if I did I wouldn't try to shoot them in the scapula. I don't know of any good broadhead, think zwicky, ace, eclipse etc that won't get the job done. I think all this Grizzly hype is just some one trying to increase sales on a very unpopular head.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arrow4Christ:
...If I have a broadhead, and I can make it better, I will.
That would be the key...IF...If is a big word. I dont' have the skills, tools or inclination to do all the tinkering that the good Doc suggested, but it all makes sense.

My "modified" would be left bevel... cause I got wayyy too much invested in left wing stuff to switch for the advantages outlined for the single bevel...

Abowyer's are left I saw...but pricey when other bh's have worked...and worked well.  Still, when it comes to taking a life, I'm all for every li'l advantage I can muster... w/o throwing out all my stash of feathers or changing all the rest of my setup.

Bring out them Griz left bevel and I'm there!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Please do not misunderstand what I'm about to say, because I think Dr. Ashby has done some great research, however keep in mind he is testing these in EXTREME conditions. Not one in a hundred of you guy's will ever hunt thick skinned animals with a 90# bow. There have been thousands of animals of all sizes taken with unmodified grizzly's with both left and right wing fletching. I have a high profile client that I have made arrows for, for many years that shoots unmodified 190 gr grizzly's with left wing fletching, with wooden arrows and has taken both water buffalo and cape buffalo with out a problem. Yes much will be learned from the good Dr's testing. but put it into perspective.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
I have never used Grizzly's, but have been following some of these threads lately. I think what Bob said is right on the money. I don't think alot of this really applies to most of our NA animals, and especially not deer. Following 6-point's line of thinking, how much farther does the arrow need to go after passing through the deer? I'm all for trying to use solid, quality equipment, but I think this attitude of wanting every advantage sometimes blinds people to the fact that there is a point of diminishing return.

None of what I am saying is meant to take anything away from Dr. Ashby's excellent work. If I was planning a trip to foreign soil to chase the big critters, I'd most likely follow his advice to the letter, I just don't see the fuss when talking about our comparably dainty, whitetailed deer, or similar sized animals.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Guys,
I do agree that it's not needed. I have no problem with 3 and 4 blade broadheads, and certainly not double-bevels or right bevels with left-wing fletching. It all works! Good too! Heck my Grizzlies will be sharing my quiver with Silver Flames, a double bevel broadhead! My logic this year is to try the single bevel Grizzly to acheive the "screwing action" that they obviously provide. My intention is more of tissue damage and bloodtrails than penetration. The modification not only enhances the broadhead (however slightly it may be on N American game), but it gets the head to the weight I want. If the El Grande Grizzly came ready in the weight I wanted, I wouldn't modify it.
I'm sure it can't hurt though, and the extra penetration, and hopefully tissue damage resulting will be nice.
God bless, and good hunting!
Craig

Offline Tom Krein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
What about lower draw weights?  Would they not benefit from having increased penetration??  

What about the shield on a hog, or miss placing an arrow into a shoulder?

I am not saying they are for everyone, but it seems there are situations even here in N. America where increased penetration and tissue damage would be of benefit.

Not trying to talk you into using them if you don't need them, but saying that its a bunch of hokus pokus designed to sell an unpopular broadhead...???  I don't see what Dr. Ashby would get out of that!

Tom

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
My only comment on Grizzlys would be you better be good at surface grinders. To get them in shape to hunt with. Or you might as well shoot blunts. As out of the package thats about what they are like. Period

As they are the worst out of the package broadhead every beheld for sharpness. Pitty the uniformed thinking they are going to unpack them and shoot them.

However do your homework at sharpening them and they are awesome heads. Just don't think you won't have to give them some serious attention. Cause there excuse for a edge is poor. Let alone sharp.

Brent

And yes in the last two days I've belt sanded a  dozen of them. With a better edge that was at least sharpenable by two other tradgang members in the last 3 days. With out a days file work.

Offline Longbowmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Oh my goodness,  So much worry over litte details.  The only people I know who are as concerned are compound shooters.   This stuff is so simple.  Get the right spine arrow,  shoot your hunting arrows before season.  Have faith in your setup. Focus on good shooting,  it trumps bevel and right wing left wing every time.
"The ruin of nations begins in the homes of it's people"

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Brent, it's no different that loading up precision match ammunition. It takes a lot of effort to get that 'bit extra' that sometimes makes the difference between 'wining and losing'.

Glad you showing folks how it's done!

Ed

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
I agree Ed, but I'm not always sure about how its done  :D  I agree also with you they are rock solid heads. But have to admit after 30 years of selling sporting goods. They are pitifully sharpened out of the package. And after 30 years I know grizzlys are not for the average archer. Course we are not average are we  :jumper:  

I have a big tender juicy steak off the grill if ya get back to Mi anytime soon. Just give me a heads up.

Brent

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
Two words: Tom Krein!
The Modified Grizzlies I got from him today are absolutely top notch! They came VERY sharp, but with a small burr on the edge. It's probably good he left that on there because it's easy to take it off and there are a lot of guys who prefer that type of edge. Easily taken to an absolute razor's edge with my RazorSharp Edgemaking system (paper honing wheel mounted on a bench grinder). I'm sure you could do the same with stones and leather. These things are awesome! Well worth the price.
Thanks Tom!
Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©