3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows fish tailing after switching to a tab.  (Read 344 times)

Offline dans89

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows fish tailing after switching to a tab.
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Up until today I've only ever shot with a glove. After reading a bit I though I'd try a tab, so I bought one. I noticed that my arrows are now fish tailing. I'm shooting a 60# Samick Sage with .400 Easton Axis arrows with a 75gr insert and 125gr field points. These arrows fly great when I shoot with my glove. Does the tab need some time to break in? So far I have shot about 100-150 arrows with it and still no change.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows fish tailing after switching to a tab.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
It may take some time for you to get a clean release just starting out with a tab. Really focus on the final stage of your shot.....each time!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
I noticed this when using a new tab. Trimmed a bit to 'fit' and seemed to be the ticket. Just a thought...

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
I had the same problem when I started shooting with a tab. At first I couldn't get used to it and I HATED it. I trimmed it up around my ring finger and got used to the feel of it a little. Now I HATE shooting with a glove.

Keep at it with the tab. It has helped my shooting more than anything I've ever tried. It taught me that I have to feel the string to make a clean release. It also helped me to find a solid anchor on my face that I can feel with my middle finger.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
Try a E W Bateman tab.  Get a small or medium at most.  I prefer a tab and learned from others here that most get a tab that is to big for them.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline dans89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:00:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. When I shoot with my glove I notice that my ring finger starts to get really sore after about 25 or arrows, and that problem has been eliminated with the tab. So far I really like shooting with it, and I can shoot for as long as I want without and issues.

On he subject of trimming it, how should a tab fit?

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:27:00 AM »
I use a Cavalier Elite tab.The bottom half of the tab is a metal plate.I put the string right in front of this metal plate.It has a finger spacer as well.A cinch strap holds it firmly in place

I shot a glove for about 6 years and have pretty much been using a tab for the last 15 years or so.

With my finger curled in the shooting postion I have about 1/4 inch of my fingers exposed above the leather.This works well for me.I can feel my anchor with the bare fingers easily.The string wont touch the bare tips of the fingers upon release.

I use a deep hook.

You will want to hold the most pressure of the string on the middle finger as you draw and especially as you pull through the release.You will have a cleaner release.Sounds like you may be using the ring finger a little too much possibly based on your description of soreness.I am not sure though.That finger should float on the string more lightly IMO.

You will get used to the tab.When I went back and forth between the two it always felt weird when going from glove to tab or vice versa.

I think I get less plucking or hangups with a tab.A good slick tab is excellant.I like cordovan leather best.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Put a couple of twists in your string to raise brace if the problem does not go away. Or just do it anyway and see what happens.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline dans89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
I believe that you are right about me using too much pressure on my ring finger, steelhead. I'll trim my tab a little bit and see how it goes.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Getting the right length is important, but listen to Mr. Lamb, he has been at this a while.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline dans89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Sure thing. I'll have to wait until Monday before I can shoot, but I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the advice guys.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
The ring finger thing might be from torquing the string, too.
I do that a lot, causes a callous on the outside edge of the ring finger, and fishtailing of my arrows. To correct that, I try to lower my elbow on the drawing arm, and relax my wrist to get the draw hand at an angle that does not "kink the string". Hope this helps some.

I prefer a simple, mitten-shaped cordovan tab.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline dans89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I just ordered an E.W Bateman Cordovan tab. Seems like everyone else has too, they are on back order from every where.....

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
I'm with Killie on this one.  See a lot of guys draw bows elbow high.  I know I do if I'm not careful.
homebru

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Id say it's something to do with forum.
    I switch from tab to glove and my arrows fly straight....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©