3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunder child question  (Read 314 times)

Offline peroneus

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunder child question
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Can anyone, please, tell me how fast are Big Jim`s thunder child and buffalo. I would like to know exact numbers if possible.
Thanks in advance
simplify
modify
apply

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunder child question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
Just shot my TC through a chrono this week.  170fps at 11.2 gpp.  180fps at 9.5gpp. They are fast enough, very quiet, smooth, and well behaved.  Please note, that the speed you get from the same bow may be very, very different.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
I own a thunderchild that is 54" 52#@28 that I will say really zipps an arrow. unfortunately I have never chronoed it. I shoot a 575 grn arrow out of it and is quite and really quick. much quicker than other longbows that I have shot with similar specs.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
I had a #52@28 that I drew about 29". Shot a 600 gr arrow over my chronometer about 155, pretty close to every other R/D longbow I've ever shot.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Pretty darn quick for a shorty longbow.  I love mine.  The TC is also more dead in the hand than the Buffalo.  Great bow design.  More stable than its size would make you think.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Never shot my through a graph, but to my eye and gaps it seemed about the same, with the same arrow, as my PSA, though my PSA is about 5 lbs lighter.

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I have a 56 inch that pulls 50lbs at 29 inches. I shoot 29 1/2 GT that weigh 470 grains.  157 feet per second is my consistent speed

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »
I have a 56" 2 PC  65#@29 and get 177fps with a 655grain arrow dynamic arrow with 4 5" flech
Cheers jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Gringol's numbers to me sound the most accurate.  I bet you have a good release buddy and no creep.  Skinny string or average string?  

Usmc'- at that gpp your number seems slow for whatever reason, I would expect it to be at least 10fps higher.  

At 10gpp I would expect the TC to at least shoot 100+draw weight + 10 minimum if the string isn't too fat and the release clean.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Gringol's numbers to me sound the most accurate.  I bet you have a good release buddy and no creep.  Skinny string or average string?  

Usmc'- at that gpp your number seems slow for whatever reason, I would expect it to be at least 10fps higher.  

At 10gpp I would expect the TC to at least shoot 100+draw weight + 10 minimum if the string isn't too fat and the release clean.
Just to muddy the waters a bit more, I test drive another TC a couple years back and was getting around 165 @ 10gpp.  I think there is so much variability in releases, strings, chronos, etc that attaching an absolute number to a bow isn't terribly helpful.  The TC isn't the fastest bow around, but its speed is respectable.  This bow really shines in the smoothness, quietness, and stability categories.  The speed seems about average for decent R/d bows to me.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Have to agree with Gringol, I don't consider my TC a speedster but it is made exceptionally well, as good as any, she is stable, stupid quiet, and an easy draw. As long as I do my part, all goes as it should.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
I have chronied both the buff 62" and the TC 56" at 28"s and 9gpp arrows (50lb bows) using a shooting machine. I had them both equipped with standard strings (nothing special) and both with normal brace heights not exceptionally low to maximize speed.

The TC reported consistant 184 fps and the Buff
reported consistant 187 fps speeds.

Consider that the fastest bow that Blackie ever tested was A&H at 197 and 200 fps (different models) and the tomahawk and double carbon elite centaur shot 188.

I build for quality and repeatable accuracy. Not really after every last fps as there is a definite trade off. Talks of bow speed leave me shaking my head some.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Jim, I just acquired an absolutely stunning lefty B&W ebony 2pc TC 56" 51@28 that you built Matt N. back around November and it is just such a sweetheart of a bow.  I took it to a 3D this past weekend and shot my personal best score with it and even pulled off a hit on a deer target from a master stake what had to be like 40+ yards downhill.  Keeper alert!!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©