3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The dreaded "ELBOW" issue  (Read 755 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
The dreaded "ELBOW" issue
« on: May 02, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Hopefully someone may learn from this post.       :thumbsup:

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The dreaded "ELBOW" issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
http://archersparadoxdotorg.wordpress.com/

A good article on elbow pain from archery.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Amen Tim!  I hope left handed continues to go well for you...Baltimore is coming up!   :archer:  

My shoulder/elbow is feeling much better since I went back to a more canted bow instead of a vertical bow.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
I read the above posted article.  The PHP is amazing new tech.  HOWEVER- equal and foundational to PHP is the actual injection process- even using just dextrose solution.  Its called Prolotherapy.  I knew the Dr. that brought it here from London Eng- 40+ years ago. It is now finally gaining interest; NFL, NBA are all using it.  Dr. Dean Reeves MD (KU med amongst other places) in Kansas City has continued to forge this tech.  Read up on it!  I had an elbow issue as mentioned here (amongst a few other joints over the past 20 years)- and while I was told by mainline orthos and others that it would take forever (if ever) to heal- Prolotherapy had me healed in 6 weeks.  Done.  Never a problem again- its been 10 years!  And I can tell you of many other stories.  Before any surgery guys- you REALLY need to research this type of tx.  There are NO side-affects.  Have many friends receive similar benefits/results.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
I hate that but at least you can shoot lefty. I really think that upright target style is hard on the joints with hunting weight bows. Hope it goes well for you.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Tim,I hope it does heal up on it's own. Very good advice anyhow. I wish you the very best of luck on your follow-up with the Orthopedist. Hope your left hand transition is a smooth,quick one. Best
regards,  rat'   :campfire:
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline carpin'mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the PHP/Prolotherapy info, I'm going to be looking into that for myself,  very interesting. I had never heard of it, probably because it doesn't involve drugs or surgery. Thanks again.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Tim. Tendons are a serious thing to play with. It may feel better if you don't work it to much but an MRI will give the doctor a better idea of whats going on. If I know you, you will do whats best.

Martin

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Tim,

I went through a similar experience, but it was both elbows.  I had Tennis elbow and Golfers elbow.  I had to take an entire YEAR off from shooting my bow.

I'm certainly not an expert, but what little I do know, is that it is unlikely to "heal up on it's own".  If your physician is an Orthopedic surgeon, I'm surprised she didn't prescribe Physical Therapy with some cortizone injections.

I would have never recovered if not for PT. Much more important-in my case-than the injections. My Orthopod sent me to a therapist that specialized in the hand and elbow.

If you're having that kind of pain, it might be wise to get a second opinion. I wouldn't want to just sit around for six months and hope it went away on its own.

Does your Orthopod specialize in Sports Injuries?
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Hope things work out for you.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Tim, very sorry for yours injury. Years ago I played a lot of tennis & racquet ball and I know the pain can be severe. For what it's worth a guy recommended a sleeve that fit tight around elbow. It was made of material like a wetsuit. It was like a charm, work extremely well. Would hold heat in and I never had a problem and played a lot of tennis. Give it a shot, I got mine at a drug store or medical supply store.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
I have had problems with both elbows. The first from 38 years of repetitive motion. The second, believe it or not was from pulling arrows from my target in my daily shooting ritual. On both counts I got it fixed with therapy and deep massage. Now I just have to be mindful of my actions. Best of luck.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Tim, I'm a lefty.  I've been battling tennis elbow caused by a non-archery related activity in my right arm for over a year now.  If has significantly improved with deep massage and home 'therapy' of stretching and range of motion exercises.  But its not all gone.  Surprisingly archery doesn't seem to bother it.  I keep my bow arm slightly bent, and I have an instinctive/ split vision style of shooting where I 'almost' border on snap shooting haha.  More of just a fairly quick pace of draw anchor release.  The lack of aggravation must have something to to do with my semi-relaxed grip and the fact that I don't hold at anchor very long.

Best of luck staying in the saddle.  Take it easy and keep at it.  Massage and stretch that sucker, especially the muscles in your forearm,  it will hurt but it will help.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Crazy you posted this Tim. I just went in yesterday for my elbow. It's golfers elbow. Pt is the prescription for now with the platelet injection if that doesn't work. Good luck buddy!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Tim..I've suffered with it for many years and sometimes it was severe.  Tennis, golf and archery. There is no "cure all" but look into the TheraBand Flex Bar.  It's a rubber bar that you will hold and basically engage in what are called eccentric exercises for the affected elbow.Got mine for about $15 and I cannot even begin to describe how much it improved my condition. Good Luck

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
There's a load of videos on YouTube of exercises and stretches to help with tennis elbow.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
I have had issues with both elbows that have required physical therapy and steroid shots. Its better, but I still have flare ups. The only thing that helps is to rest it till the inflammation subsides. I suggest cutting back on the number of arrows you shoot. After all, it is the number of effective shots you make that keep you sharp, not the total number of arrows flung down range. Good luck.
Sam

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Lots of good info here!  I'm having trouble myself,  actually for a couple of years....   I've traded bows several times and tried about everything except going to a dr!   :knothead:

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Tim, I saw an orthopedic surgeon 6 years ago for tennis elbow. I could hardly raise a cup of coffe to my mouth and that is not an exageration. He injected my elbow with a cortisone injection. But what he did and it was a big needle is while he injected my elbow he scraped around on the elbow bone with the needle then injected the cortisone. He said that scraping around on the bone is as important in getting that area to heal as the cortisone itself. It was not much fun but I have not had a bit of pain in that elbow and it is in the arm I hold the bow with. It took several weeks for it to heal but not an ounce of pain since. The pain was so bad I thought I would never feel normal again.
Best wishes,
Mark

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone that responded.  My doc was a college athlete and has battled with the same issues the past few years.  We did discuss the cortisone shot, the PT and the PHP procedure.  The PHP is either hit or miss, working wonderfully for some and not so much for others, but definitely an option.   My son is going to school to become a PT so he's helped me learn some of the stretches used to rehab this type of injury.  Problem is we use our elbows so much in daily activity it's very easy to aggravate the area.  

I did correct my initial post, I have what is referred to as golfers elbow, pain in the inner elbow.  Tennis elbow is pain in the outer elbow.  As I said, for now I will just go back to shooting left handed and give it a good rest.   Good luck to all you wounded archers, sure is tough putting the bow down, even for a few weeks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©