3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The dreaded "ELBOW" issue  (Read 753 times)

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The dreaded "ELBOW" issue
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 01:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by steadman:
Crazy you posted this Tim. I just went in yesterday for my elbow. It's golfers elbow. Pt is the prescription for now with the platelet injection if that doesn't work. Good luck buddy!
It must be going around. I just went for my first PT session on my bow arm elbow. It has been bad for a couple of months.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 02:25:00 AM »
I started to have elbow problems shooting a target bow that was a third the weight of my hunting bow.  A topped out elbow joint was the culprit and the long holding time did not help.  That target form messed with my Hill style shooting anyway, I would rather have no pain even if my draw length is a bit shorter.

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
I too have been having isues with my bow arm elbow.  I have been shooting a little heavier bow than normal 70lbs vs 65lbs at my draw and it seems just 5 lbs makes a difference in weather or not it bothers me, as soon as my new bow arrives im sending this one in to have 5 pounds shaved off it.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Since I switched to shooting straight grip Hill style bows, I haven't had any elbow problems. A high wrist grip creates a lot of tension on the tendon at the back of the elbow.
Chuck

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Tim,
  Wow sorry to hear about the elbow, Take it easy (sounds like you are) and follow the rehab program.
   At least you can shoot lefty.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Mine started in my bow arm the last of summer '13(drawing elbow has bothered my at work for a years, but not drawing a bow), shot a lighter bow most of the season.

When it wasn't better by early winter,I went to the doc....said it was biciptal tendonitis. Both elbows!

Three months of PT and it still hurts!  Some days are better than others....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
I feel your pain , literally, had the same thing for the entire 2012, could not shoot for 14 month's. Now it's the shoulder, been down since September 2013. Good advice on the practice tip's Tim.
John 3:16

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Tim, sorry about the elbow but I'm glad you still have the lefty option. Hope we can get together for some bunnies this season.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Tim, you know the weights thing when were younger did a number.  My right elbow is wired together with circlage, ( one of many horse accidents).  My  left elbow hurts a little when I shoot and hold for seconds. I dropped down in weight to 45-47 lb bows and found out that Arnies rotational draw with a loose arm  does wonders for me.  I am not a supporter of injections because of their effect on synovial surface of its close to the joint.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Tim,
       I can semi-relate with you. No elbow issues, but dumped my bike last Sept. while getting ready for a race. Separated shoulders are not user friendly while shooting your bow either. I shot just enough to stay sharp thru hunting season. It has just been starting to feel a little closer to normal.

The weekend before Easter I was splitting firewood,had to move the splitter so grabbed it around the tongue and post with my good arm(right) and lifted it up and went. The ground was really soft and we kind of slowed down so I just put my head down and grunted through it. Felt and heard a pop in my shoulder,uh-oh,not smart.  

I now have a torn right bicep to go with my left separated shoulder. It is fun getting older...... Take care of that elbow.

Good Shooting,
                                                               Craig

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Lots of good stuff here!  

We all seem to be falling apart in one way or another....   :laughing:  

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 06:08:00 AM »
I'm not a doctor...but I do play one on the internet....   :saywhat:  

I'm thinking some good Southern fried food and a proper thrashing on the 3D range is just the ticket to recovery for you Tim.   :jumper:

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tim:
We all seem to be falling apart in one way or another....    :dunno:    
Ain't that the truth!

Good luck with your rehab, Tim!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by A.S.:

I'm thinking some good Southern fried food and a proper thrashing on the 3D range is just the ticket to recovery for you Tim.     :biglaugh:   Calling me out at the Baltimore shoot, eh? Soon my friend, very soon!    :archer2:

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
:knothead:    :laughing:

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Tim. I went through it a few years ago on my bow arm, couldn't lift a cup a coffee. I laid off shooting AND playing golf for a couple of months, luckily I have been ok since.

Hope this all works out for you.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
I wish you the best Tim in your recovery.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
Allen had the remedy with the food and thrashing! I'll bring some refreshments to help sooth your pain.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Do you think that one type of bow can cause it more then another. For example. A straight grip straight longbow verses a recurve?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Hey Greg,

I think it was more the result of me over extending my bow arm to get that extra 1/2 of draw.  For me, the vertical bow placement during my shot also seemed to apply some more pressure to my elbow.

I've stressed my elbows joints pretty much all my life with sports and my hobbies.  I definitely felt the elbow more while shooting lighter physical weight bows, especially straight limb longbows without a quiver but again, I wouldn't blame the bow.  The last few months before it got too bad to shoot high wrist recurves hurt the most.

Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©