3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tell me what you think  (Read 557 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
tell me what you think
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
based on your feelings only. NOT on price or style who do you think are the top best three traditional bowyers in the USA. in no certain order.this is just for fun just wondering what your thoughts were.thanks ED

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tell me what you think
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I'll play

Fred Bear - My 1964 Grizzly shoots a s well as any other bow I have paid triple for

Steve Turay - Retro Classic, everything and more when it comes to a Hill bow that performs awesome

Ed Scott - An Artist !!! but don't let that fool you his bows rock
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't know if anyone is qualified to answer this question. There are hundreds of good bowyers in the states, and I doubt anyone has shot a bow from each of them. From my limited experience I can volunteer that the best shooting that I have done is with Black Widow and Hummingbird recurves. Then there are the Morrison, Striker, Beeler, Pearson, Shrew, and Black Creek bows that shot well also. However, there are so many bows that I have not yet shot, I believe that I'll take a while longer to decide.

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Zipper, Black Widow, Bob Lee

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Everybody likes something different, I can think of about 10 bowyers right off the top of my head. Real tough to pick 3.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Wow, it is impossible to narrow it down unless you have handled a whole lot of bows. Since I am a very biased Hill fan, my first 2 picks are HHA, and Northern Mist.  When shooting a more primitive bow, I like Lynn Harrelson's Kolomi, a laminated wood bow with no glass at all.

Also, Big Jim is high on my list, I don't yet own any of his bows but have shot them. In addition, he is a great guy and is very helpful.
Sam

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
3 ain't fair.  There's too many and they're all a little different.  My personal no. 1 though for best fit/finish I've encountered combined with performance is Jim Neaves/ Centaur.  His bows are magic.  But of course he's also tied for me with Leon Stewart.  Leon's the man.  

There are so many other truly outstanding artists out there.  Some we probably have never heard of, I guarantee you.

See my sig for a list of excellent choices.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
Yea, 3 is tough..But right now I would have to say for me I would put Big Jim, Jerry Brumm-Great Northern and Ron King- Fox Archery. With Abe Penner and Jim Reynolds right there too. My real list of Bowyers I like is closer to 15 or 20. Lots of talent out there. Like I think nineworlds9 said in another post, this is the golden age of Trad Bows. Something for everyone.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Yes to many good bowyers!!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Norm Johnson  -  Blacktail bows

Lot's of others...

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
Hats off to the pioneers of archery. The guys still around since the 50's and 60's. Bear, Blackwidow,and Hoyt. Many of there old bows are great by todays standards.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
I have to say... I'm not even close to being qualified to answer this one.

I have yet to speak with a bowyer that I didn't end up putting in a special place in my heart.

Having said that I want to say not every bow I've owned or shot "did it" for me but that isn't really a statement about the bows but of what my personal preferences are and each of these bows would have done the job.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
My votes go to Black Widow, Big Jim, and Kirk Lavender. Although to be fair in my opinion Steve from Eaglewing should be in the top three as well. So for me it would be a top 4
James Kerr

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
In the end it boils down to personal preference. Too many top bowyers to list and I have owned most all of them. People find the bowyer that just builds the bow that does it for them, all are different.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
No way to just chose 3. I would say there are 8-10 that I would put right up there together. I think it comes down to what style of bow you like and then personal preference on things like the grip you like and other bow features.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Depends on what you mean by top bowyer. Some spectacular bows are built by guys that do not produce a lot of bows and yet I believe that to be classified as a top bowyer that those that produce few bows would not qualify because their product is not available on a quantity that touches many archers.

I would have to include my bows, Fred Johnsons and many others that do not produce bows in quantity as not meeting that criterion.

I also would exclude those that produce bows in manufacturing quantity because they are not really individual bowyers.

I would exclude those that are limited in what they produce to one or two models even though they might produce one or two models that are really super fine bows. In this category I reluctantly have to exclude some super great bowyers because they key on one particular or two particular types of bow such as Hill Style or D and R longbows ect.

Man its just really hard to pick three because every one of those three would be tied times over .

Abe Penner, Kirk Lavender, Bill Dunn immediately come to mind, But then there is SilverTip, Norm Johnson, and Wallace that are at least equals in my mind, As is RER, Tracy at St Joe Bows , Stalker, and a host of others.

James I appreciate that immensely but have to disqualify myself unless someone wants a real custom one of a kind bow. Then  I believe I can get in the ring with anyone if I pray a lot.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
I thought differently a year ago and I'll surely have another order in mind a year from now...but.

Brandon Stahl - Rose Oak
Dave Windauer - Schafer
Norm Johnson - Blacktail

Honorable Mention:
Bigfoot's Kirk & Chris at Habu.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Based on my experience, different bowyers excel with different types of bows.

Regular size recurve:  Rick Welch Dakota, Bob Lee, Morrison
Short recurve:  Robertson, Schafer
Regular size longbow: Toelke
Short longbow:  don't know, don't shoot one
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
NewWood, Timberhawk, Bob Lee.

Just an opinion.....

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Blacktail, Wes Wallace, Schafer bows.

Users currently browsing this topic: