3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Quiver vs Back Quiver  (Read 721 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Quiver vs Back Quiver
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
So I have my first longbow in the mail, a Don Dow Stick I found in the trad gang classys, and I can't decide if I want to put a quiver on it. I have a quiver on my recurve, but that riser has more mass so it seems to "fit" in a way. On the longbow, I like the sleek look. I know back quivers are popular, but I've never used one. Do people hunt with a back quivers, and if so how/why do you prefer it? Any input would be helpful, I like to hear others views. Thanks!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline troutbum1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Quiver vs Back Quiver
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
When I had a longbow,For target practice and 3d shoots I used a back quiver. For hunting I used a hip quiver. Now I do not use bow mounted quivers on any of my bows.I'm getting ready to order a side quiver for hunting.
I hunt & kill game, I don't harvest

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I am not a fan of bow quivers, and I love the look/nostalgia of back quivers, and I have a back quiver that I use for stump shooting, small game, and general target shooting. But, when it is time to go hunting, I like a side quiver.
I don't think the trad police will arrest you if you use any type of quiver, so use what you feel comfortable with. If you have never used a back quiver, know that there is a bit of a learning curve to become smooth with it.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline BigDBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
I prefer a bow quiver on my longbow. I use a back quiver for the range, but if I go through brush or under trees I am always hitting the arrows in the back quiver on stuff when I try to duck down under things.

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
I've always used bow quivers with recurves, and had one on a hybrid longbow, but Ive really gotten used to shooting my Mohawk without one, so I'm gonna try a tube/side quiver this season. Either a Safari Tuff, or Bow Mate. I like my back quiver for 3D, and stumping, but I'm not ready to hunt with one.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
All excellent posts. My thinking is when I hunt deer I would just slide it off my back when I stopped anyhow, just like I disconnect my bow quiver with my recurve. Hitting brush while pig hunting is certainly a downside though. In the end I may end up just trying it and seeing how I like it. I have what ammounts to a back quiver on hand.. Just needs a little frontier medicine to get it into shape. I put some new arrows up for trade in the classifieds for a bow quiver, if that works out ill be able to try both.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Good point centaur, I put a back quiver on in the garage and tried to pull out some hunting arrows. Ribin Hood I'm not. I probably looked pretty comical - won't be doing it in public anytime soon. Hahah
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
I like the looks of a back quiver, but that's where it ends. I had one i used for 3D shoots and never could get comfortable with it. Especially trying to get the arrows back into the dad burn thing.

I found the arrows were always catching on branches and brush too, and every time i bent over to pick up something, or pull arrows from a target i'd spill all the arrows out of it..... I ended up giving mine to my son in law.....

Funny thing is... he does just fine with it. So i guess it's just me....

For hunting i want my arrows on the bow... always.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
I had a Don Dow that I really liked. I always had a GN quiver on it. I killed the buck in my avatar with that bow.

I have since switched to using a Dawgware and love it. I ground hunt and don't like how a bow quiver sits in my lap.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Been hunting with a back quiver since I started...back in '69. I'm so used to how it feels and it's adjusted right so pulling an arrow out for that quick second shot or replacing an arrow is no problem.

Once it conforms to your back, there is no arrow rattle. Sneaking around through brush is no big deal either. I use a bowquiver maybe 3 times during the season, on my recurve only. It's sacriligious to put a bow quiver on a longbow....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Love a quiver on recurves,  but It jacks me up on a long bow for some reason..... Best quiver IMHO is a safari tuff when it comes to hunting with a longbow!  Good luck with your decision!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
I have used bow quivers in the past. I have one that uses velcro strap fastners. I built a longer strap to go over the shoulder & now have my own version of the GFA quiver.
 I mostly use it or a back quiver. The back quiver isn't as ungainly as some think. Going under brush or tree limbs all you have to do is pull the quiver around kind of like a side quiver. Works well, once you have it adjusted for you they are great, quiet, easy to get arrows out of, & carry LOTS of arrows.
 I like mine.   ;)
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Sure people hunt with back quivers.  Lots of us.  Issues of rattling arrows, falling out when bending over, hanging up on brush, etc, all are issues of not getting a properly made quiver that will mold to your back well, not spending enough time learning the use of a back quiver, and giving up too soon.  Many beautiful quivers are made that just don't hunt in the woods worth a darn.  You need to get the right one and break it in well and learn how you have to use it.  They have been around forever so there must be something about them that works.   :)   If you do a search on back quivers you should find a lot of good information from folks who actually use and like them. Many will use nothing else.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
I like the idea of slinging it under when going under brush and stuff. I used to carry a muzzle loader thats pretty long and id do the same kind of thing with it. The HH southeastern is coming to B-ham in a month, maybe I'll see one there that looks my speed. Right now I have one that I can test-run. Well... Really its a stake bag that holds the aiming stakes used by mortarmen.. same kinda thing. Haha.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm with Mr. Mitchell.
    Back Quivers have been around for awhile, Do people hunt with them, Yes.
    You do need to learn how to use one like any other tool....
    Ask Mr. Hill about using one, Well I guess ya Can't ask him, But ya can read his Books about it....
    And I'm with some of the people above, A Bow Quiver on a Recurve, yes....On a long bow, well no....
    And yes they need to be made right....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I tried a back quiver last fall, I'm sure it's better on the ground,  but out of my climber it was in the way.  (at least for me)
SWA Spyder

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
I never liked a bow mounted quiver until I tried a Kanati Dual Arc.  The adjustability of that quiver allowed me to tune the feel and handling of the bow with the quiver mounted and it actually feels better in the hands with it mounted now than it did bare.  Before that I used my custom buffalo fur back quiver and likely won't go back to the back quiver.  The convenience of the bow quiver wins in thick woods and the handling is improved for my longbow.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
I liked bow quivers on my three piece bows, both longbow and recurve.
I'm only into one piece longbows now and really don't like hanging anything off of them.  
Recently got an absorkee short trail side quiver and couldn't be happier with it.  Nothing hanging around your neck, can still use a pack, and slips through brush easily.  Definitely worth checking out.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline bendotwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
I have used most styles of quiver.  My two favourites are bow and side/back.  I like a bow quiver to hold broadheads, and maybe a small game arrow or two.  I like my Arrowmaster to hold stumping and small game arrows.  

I'm torn between the two for hunting.  I like the pocket and capacity on the arromaster, and the protection of the fletching.  I also like that the bow quiver makes it really easy to tell which type of arrowhead I am grabbing, and that there is no chance of the broadheads getting dull rattling against eachother.
Bama Bows Hunter 68'' #56@28''

Bama Bows Hunter 66'' 70#@28''

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
I've used both.  Wouldn't put a bow quiver on a long bow, but then I don't use long bows much either.

If you want to use a back quiver for hunting, and you have trouble with rattling arrows, or arrows falling out, go to your friendly supplier of archery stuff and get a replacement gripper of the proper size for your arrows for a Selway bow quiver, and then glue it, or use inconspicuous screws to attach it inside your quiver just below the rim.  That'll keep the arrows in place, keep the broadheads from trying to hook each other and allow you to move quietly though the woods.  It does slow down pulling your arrows a bit, but if your grip is near the top of your quiver only a bit - and it slows putting them back in, but that's really only a 3D issue (and for that you can just not use the gripper), because you're    going to draw your arrow and get set to take your shot long before the animal in question comes into range.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©