3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Clickers  (Read 623 times)

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on Clickers
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
I started using a clicker about a month ago. I needed help with anchor and expansion to full draw. My shooting has never been better. The clicker has helped me slow down whole shoot sequence. I shot a 716 out 800 at a 3D this past week-end. I was REAL happy with that score. My questions are. I noticed clickers are not aloud at IBO 3D's and other shoots. Why? Not considered traditional equipment? Other question is there a way to quiet a clicker down? My hope is though by Sept. is that I can take my clicker off for hunting seasons and I will cont. shooting well with out it. Any comments? Thank you.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Clickers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
I shoot a longbow with a clicker due to target panic. I hunted with the clicker this past hunting season and when drawing back on deer it didn't seem to bother them at all. There are several ways to quiet the clicker down if you feel that its loud for hunting.

Ron

Offline quail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
I have taken a piece of self-adhesive pad and placed on the back side of the metal plate to dampen the "click" sound. It actually makes it something you feel more than hear. I have taken several shots on deer and turkey with no problem with that setup.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
Don't know about the 3d rules, but as far as hunting goes I've killed plenty of deer with it on my bow and never had one spook. I quiet mine down with moleskin. I will not shoot without one.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
A lot of events consider the clicker a shooting aid and outlaw it as they would a mechanical shooting release. However, it does not bother me at all to see people use them. Nor does gap shooting, or string walking, for that matter. I just see them as using your brain to maximize available mental resources. It does start down a slippery slope though, because it opens the game up to "outside" aids in the traditional "instinctive" shooting process.

Consequently, I will just go along with the event rules as they are, but if such things make you a better bowhunter then use them and don't worry about the opinions of others.
Sam

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
A lot of events consider the clicker a shooting aid and outlaw it as they would a mechanical shooting release. However, it does not bother me at all to see people use them. Nor does gap shooting, or string walking, for that matter. I just see them as using your brain to maximize available mental resources. It does start down a slippery slope though, because it opens the game up to "outside" aids in the traditional "instinctive" shooting process.

Consequently, I will just go along with the event rules as they are, but if such things make you a better bowhunter then use them and don't worry about the opinions of others.
I could not have written any comment better than this ^^^^!

Bisch

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Hmmmmm,a clicker suppressor??????????

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
I have shot with a clicker for over 20 years now. No problems at all hunting with one once you quieten it a bit.

As far as IBO goes, you can use one- it will just put you in the RU class along with guys shooting rests/plungers, etc.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Sounds like you have decided to shoot one and your shooting has improved.  Once you put a clicker on a bow, you may find it difficult to shoot without one.  

If you are shooting all off season with the clicker, I would think taking it off would be detrimental come hunting season.  Just silence it.

One top Barebow compound archer made an interesting comment to me at an NFAA National championship one time.  I inquired about his wire clicker that went under the arrow.  He said "I wish I never would have put that on my bow, I cannot shoot without one now."  

Clickers can be real "gamechangers" for some archers and keep them from leaving the sport when the dreaded TP hits.  You can shoot in IBO, but other organizations may not allow the clicker like some do not allow an elevated rest.  Hunting no issue.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
I hunt with them and have never had an animal spook at the sound(I film all of my hunts and can check their reaction, or lack of).
I killed a small boar this past Saturday using one. I still managed to short draw:) but got more than enough energy into the arrow to get the job done.
You can check out the hunt on my Youtube channel:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2z3VwLfwOQ&feature=youtu.be  
Jim Dussias
Just no critiquing my snap shooting style:) my freezer is full of wild game year round by the way.(People still were commenting that I didn't hit my anchor,lol. I don't have a clicker on my bow for looks,lol?)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
By the way, I don't have one on all of my bows. Some bows I shoot just fine without them. Go figure?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
I've heard it's the last thing a deer hears! Also heard wrap a piece of electrical tape around it??? I set up a target bow with a shoot through type clicker and practice occasionally with it. It improved my shooting a lot but I won't put one on my hunting bow. That string would drive me crazy!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Anyone got a picture of their quited down clicker?
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by TURKEYFOOTGIRL:
Anyone got a picture of their quited down clicker?
I posted pics on the Shooters Form forum a while back. I will try to post a pic here later

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I used one for a while. still have thought about putting it back on maybe I will
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Randy I have fought TP all my life until I started using my clicker. I know I could train myself to use another psycho trigger, but I don't want to. I will probably never shoot another bow without one. I even have them on my self bows. My brain is finally at peace!!!   :goldtooth:

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Thanks Fritz, that's the thread I was thinking about.

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Agree with Fritz, the clicker saved me and my love for archery.  I have clickers on every bow I own, recurve or longbow, it doesn't matter.

I used to have a hang-up with it on my bow, like a crutch, but I have come to peace with the fact that it works wonderfully for me.

Have taken every animal since 1997 with a clicker, and have never once witnessed a reaction to the click.

For me the clicker is more imporant than straight arrows, it effects my shooting that much.

I still get ribbed about it from time to time, but people shut up pretty quickly when I out shoot them.  Then it goes from ribbing to curiousity - tell me how that thing works.  

I would rather be teased than look like so many poor souls that struggle to hit full draw, can't hit the ground, yet prance about like they're something special.  :)

Todd

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
No problem, Allen. I never officially thanked you, but your experience with a clicker is what got me to using one. Best thing that's ever happened to my shooting. Thanks bro!!!   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©