3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who let's the broadhead touch their hand at full draw?  (Read 972 times)

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Who let's the broadhead touch their hand at full draw?
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
As an additional anchor, what are your thoughts on this? Good idea or bad idea? I've been doing it lately and feel like it's helping my consistency by reaching full draw. I know there may be problems while hunting and wearing gloves, but I don't think that would affect me as I've never wore gloves in the past (use hand warmers in my pockets when it's real cold and that's not too often where I'm at). Thanks

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who let's the broadhead touch their hand at full draw?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Three Fingers Jones did.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by TOEJAMMER:
Three Fingers Jones did.
:laughing:
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
Alot of guys used to do that. I think I read that Fred used this methoud too.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
I'm no where near forcefully allowing the BH to touch my hand. I basically started doing it by accident. Having a 28.5" draw and normally using 29.5" BOP arrows I never encountered this. Recently I had some arrows cut 29 1/4" BOP and when I do everything right, (back muscles and expand lungs) the BH will slightly touch back of my index finger and I release. Just wondering if many others do this.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
I am in the same boat, and scared to death.  Not of touching my fingers, I don't sharpen the backs, but of drawing OVER a finger and at release watching it fall from the treestand in slow motion !

ChuckC

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
So bad idea? Lol. I was hoping to try something different before trying a clicker.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I thought about this I think Ferguson talks about it in his book.  I was curious how, unless you practiced with BH's , how do you simulate it in practice. I was scared too , so I dropped it.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Chuck, you sure paint a pretty picture. As far as touching your finger with the arrow head goes, I don't do that but I think it's a good idea. I wonder why more people don't do that instead of using a clicker.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
"Dead-ringer" . . . is that a ring finger or a doorbell finger?. Either way- dead!  LOL.  Too many other ways to encourage full draw.  I would not start that habit.  

Try just closing your eyes and "feeling" the full draw.  With your eyes closed you will find/notice a number of other secondary senses/markers that affirm full draw. I used a clicker for a decade- found this exercise to be invaluable and now have "built-in" clickers.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
I would think if you used real big broadheads like Centaurs or Simmons with back edge unsharpened that this method wouldn't be a problem?  I shoot full length arrows so I will likely never use this method.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
I would not, If the broadhead is touching your hand there is going to be some degree of pressure
on the nock pulling forward, in a hunting situation I think it would be very easy to draw
the string a slight bit too much and pull your nock off the string leading to disaster. just my
opinion.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
Trad101, that is a thought I haven't thought of and a darned good one.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAD101:
I would not, If the broadhead is touching your hand there is going to be some degree of pressure
on the nock pulling forward, in a hunting situation I think it would be very easy to draw
the string a slight bit too much and pull your nock off the string leading to disaster. just my
opinion.
Originally posted by PaulDeadringer29:
Trad101, that is a thought I haven't thought of and a darned good one.
Agreed...food for thought.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAD101:
opinion.
This is the reason I won't do it.  I've tried it in the yard and it works but I  don't trust myself to feel for that broadhead  in a shot sequence on game.  I'd likely crank her back, pull the nock off the string, blow a shot and perhaps blow up a bow.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Fred Bear did this. I do so as well. I set up so that it takes every little bit of expansion/back tension possible at the end of my shot cycle for the broadhead to touch my knuckle. I don't think I could pull the big Simmons over my finger anyways.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
I do it...

Many archers of old did it also.  

I shoot the longbow and feel I get better arrow flight from having just the right sized arrows and feeling the BH is an extra draw check as stated..

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
A couple of years ago, I had a nice set of cedars that were just about a 1/2" too short for my draw. As a result, the back of the broad head touched my finger. They shot just fine, so I decided to use them on a hunt. Once.

The first time I had a nice fat doe walk within range, I slowly drew back, but just a little too far. The broad head caught my finger and pulled the arrow off the string. Whooops.

Now, I make sure I have at least an inch worth of clearance.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
I do it all the time, align my simmons to where the blades are vertical..... you would have to really overdraw and use a lot of pull to get the blade to jump over your finger????
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
I draw the broadhead to my knuckle; have been for a few years now. It works well as a sort of draw check and has been a major contributor to overcoming my target panic.  I also saw an immediate increase in my consistency and subsequently my confidence because of it.  

As far as pulling the arrow from the string when bumping a knuckle- never had it happen (that I can remember) in thousands of shots.  I shoot three under as well.  It works for me...to each their own.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©