3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons Treeshark/Centaur BattleAx Question  (Read 321 times)

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
Simmons Treeshark/Centaur BattleAx Question
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
For those of you shooting the big two blades on large game, I have a question.
I am having a bow built that will be approx. 65 lbs at my draw length. Will I have any penetration issues on Elk sized game, assuming a 650-700 grain arrow? Also assuming a sharp bh. Please.....field experience opinions.

Thanks, Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons Treeshark/Centaur BattleAx Question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
My guess is you'll penetrate the tree behind the elk after it sails through

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Heck no you shouldn't have any problems. I'm shooting a 45@28,but I'm pulling a little more. I shot a hog and a deer and had no penetration problems.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
I have shot 55# -63# bows with Treesharks and 600-650gr. arrows the last couple years.

I have been more than impressed with the results. I shot completely through the femur of one really jumpy deer that turned inside out on the shot. On well placed shots it takes me awhile to find my arrow on the other side(I ground hunt).

I wouldn't hesitate to use your setup on elk.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
You have a very ample setup! But just devil's advocate or voice of debate here. I don't have any experience to say they won't work, but I hang out with and shoot with people that eat drink and sleep elk,  here in elk country all the time and I don't know of anybody that shoots heads like that on elk. I used them on turkey this year and was very impressed with the penetration I got from a very low efficiency bow but I would be more than hesitant to try them on elk. Just my two cents which is worth just about that much!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
You have a very ample setup! But just devil's advocate or voice of debate here. I don't have any experience to say they won't work, but I hang out with and shoot with people that eat drink and sleep elk,  here in elk country all the time and I don't know of anybody that shoots heads like that on elk. I used them on turkey this year and was very impressed with the penetration I got from a very low efficiency bow but I would be more than hesitant to try them on elk. Just my two cents which is worth just about that much!
Thanks for the input....that is exactly why I was hoping that someone that has used the big heads on elk will chime in. Looking for the voice of experience. I do not want to have a failure. Thanks all, Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Well...I use them for elk. I draw 68lbs @ 32" so I have a very efficient setup, and my arrows are ~740 grains (350 up front). I did not get a pass through on the bull I shot last fall, but the broadhead pretty much T-boned the elbow joint on the off side. I don't have any concerns about penetration with the TreeSharks at a reasonable stickbow hunting range.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »

I've only killed a 1 1/2 year old WI 9 pointer with a Centaur Big Game head, LW single bevel, on a  Surewood Doug fir shaft (approx. 575 gr.) shot through a 54#@28" R/D longbow. There was an entrance and exit hole but not so convincingly with the exit.  The arrow did not pass out of the deer but broke after 20yards as it ran off.  The hit was low in the sternum as well, so  not much width there to pass though anyway.  I never have found the BH even though I've been to the site a couple of times to look for it.

Good question for elk though.  Guys do it for sure and you can search for their results.  I believe in your setup and would think it to work well.  I'd focus on the arrows and arrow flight.  I would use carbons (if you shoot them) and get your "weight forward" up there (25% or >). I believe your arrow weight to be good...right in there!  

Post your results when you shoot your bull this fall!

Best of luck!

Kris

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
Well...I use them for elk. I draw 68lbs @ 32" so I have a very efficient setup, and my arrows are ~740 grains (350 up front). I did not get a pass through on the bull I shot last fall, but the broadhead pretty much T-boned the elbow joint on the off side. I don't have any concerns about penetration with the TreeSharks at a reasonable stickbow hunting range.
My set-up will be "very" close to yours. 64 in 55@28 drawn to 32, just have not got the bow yet to see where it will tune yet. I am assuming min 650 gr, possibly even as much as 800 grs. All depends on how it shoots. Probably will shoot GT 5575 or 7595 with inserts and/or weights behind insert to get bow quiet & tuned. Sounds like you got good penetration....did the arrow break/shatter the off shoulder? Thanks to all, Scott.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
I use GT 7595's...using 100 grain brass inserts, they should get you in the ballpark if your bow is cut within 1/8th of center.

Originally posted by 96ssportsp:
Sounds like you got good penetration....did the arrow break/shatter the off shoulder? Thanks to all, Scott.
The arrow didn't shatter the bone, but it cut through two ribs each side of the heart/lungs and may have glanced off the elbow to shoulder bone on the entrance side. Which is to say that it spent a lot of energy before reaching the opposite shoulder. As I said, it hit the offside joint, where there is a lot of cartilage to soften the impact.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
My opinion. . .  elk are big strong critters with lots more meat and bone than any deer.  I have heard of 40 pound bows getting pass throughs and 60 pound bows not getting enough penetration.  Each and every shot is different in many ways.  I personally wouldn't chance it.  There are many good heads on the market you can chose from.  These are great heads, but I wouldn't use them on elk.
ChuckC

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I would not hesitate to use any of the simmons broadheads on elk.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
I have shot a bear, some deer, and some turkeys with the battle axe...love them and will continue to use them for a long time.  

Having said that, I would not shoot the battle axe at an elk, nor will I on the moose hunt next year.  For those hunts I will be using the centaur big game head.

Elk are a lot tougher than deer and the battle axe has a big path to cut.  Too big IMO for elk.

YMMV but  I shoot 60+ lbs bows w/ 540 grain arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©