3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hanging Overnight.....  (Read 630 times)

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hanging Overnight.....
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
I have done it before.. The wind changes so much where I live  that you could be leaving your bow in a tree  with a bad wind and you would have to go back and get it if you decided to change stands . It can be blowing SE in the morning then blowing west in the afternoon. I usually don't hunt the same stand morning and afternoon bc of how the  wind changes so much around here .so I bring it in and out. But yes I have done it before. But never overnight

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »
Honestly, it would never occur to me to consider leaving a bow in a treestand.

I really can't think of a good reason.

May I ask why you would?

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by dhermon85:
With your bows, I'd like to know where you stand is!     :biglaugh:

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
I did last year for the first time.  I was hunting private ground in KS.  I thought, "Why not?  Im coming back to the same stand in the morning.  Its dark now.  Gonna be dark when I get back in here.  So I did."  And I shot a buck with frost on my bow:)

I guess it all depends where your stand is and where you are hunting.  Esp if your leaving your stand at dark and coming back in the dark.  Nobody is going to steal it.  Except a bear or squirrel:(  No bears in KS where I was hunting.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
I don't leave my toys out after dark.
Sam

Offline Journeymen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
I had a friend forget his bow at the Side of the road . It snowed he couldn't finding .I found it in the spring . Brought it home . He is still shooting the bow today. Was a long Canadian winter. Just a little some timers kicking in .    :knothead:
Silvertip  Recerve
Tallon  longbow
Allen Rothar Recerve
Robertson Purist

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
x2. Never have, never will.  I have bear, mice, squirrels, porcupine, etc around.  Too many creatures.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
I have lots of stand sites and don't decide which I'm gong to hunt until shortly before I go out in the morning after reviewing the wind directions for the day on the weather radio.

Too, there's always the possibility that something might come up that would prevent one from getting back out in the morning.  I wouldn't worry as much about the elements as I would, mice, squirrels, porkies and other critters chewing on the bow.

Of course, theft is always a concern.  Folks who steal stuff don't care about entering private land either.

I do sometimes leave a set of outer clothes in a plastic bag.  Luckily, I have more than one set.  It's sometimes been as much as 3-4 days before I get back to the stand where I left the clothes because of unfavorable wind directions.  So far, nothing's chewed on my clothes, but I don't do it often.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Never left a bow but have packed in elk camp a week early and set it up.  Hung canned food stuffs in a tree and been lucky so far.  Never had a problem.  Know of a cache someone left years ago, never to return for whatever reason, and the critters have pretty well been in it now. Porcupines will gnaw on anything and bears can  really make a mess. While we were out hunting we did have a moose walk over/through our white spike tent during a snow storm and take it to ground. I guess he wasn't used to it being there and  figured it was part of the storm, we were all surprised and at first though it had been a bear.  The mudded underfoot moose tracks across the tent stayed for years in the fabric.  Would never leave a bow though here in Idaho, to many things could happen to it and a problem with time getting to my spot might mean a missed shot opportunity on the way in or out.  As always though, the situation dictates.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I have only ever done it the one time.  But situations dictate what is the correct course of action....to leave it or not.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keith Zimmerman:
I did last year for the first time.  I was hunting private ground in KS.  I thought, "Why not?  Im coming back to the same stand in the morning.  Its dark now.  Gonna be dark when I get back in here.  So I did."  And I shot a buck with frost on my bow:)

I guess it all depends where your stand is and where you are hunting.  Esp if your leaving your stand at dark and coming back in the dark.  Nobody is going to steal it.  Except a bear or squirrel:(  No bears in KS where I was hunting.
x2...although I'm more apt to leave it in a pop up or box blind than hanging in a tree.  

I've left plenty of stuff overnight and come back to it the next day.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
No way do I leave my bow out in the woods.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
I know someone who left his bow in the tree after an evening hunt. Came back before light the following morning and it was long gone. The only thing he figured was raccoon hunters.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Firstlight:
Honestly, it would never occur to me to consider leaving a bow in a treestand.

I really can't think of a good reason
X2

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I did when I hunted with my compound. Left my climber on the tree and the bow on the hanger on a clear windless night. Wanted to get back in the next morn as quick and quiet as possible.

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
Yep.

If...

1) I plan on hunting that stand the next morning and if I plan to be in the stand before daylight.

and

2) Weather looks good.

Private land, of course.

Haven't had an issue with doing so, yet.
Joey Ward

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
no way!

i was nervous enough about leaving my Huntmore chair in the blind. probably won't even do that anymore.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
no thanks.     :eek:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
Around here the thieves have guardian, thieving angels that alert them to unattended gear. Leave anything, any where for any length of time and it looooooong gone in minutes.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
The risk seems to far outweigh any benefit.  Besides, for me, one of the joys of hunting is carrying my weapon in the field... even after dark heading to the truck.  I especially enjoying carrying my bow... just feels good to have it in my hand.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©