3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single Bevel and large game  (Read 577 times)

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
Single Bevel and large game
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Thinking about going to a single bevel type broad head for a moose hunt this fall. Have been going down in bow weight as I get a bit older. Any feedback both positive and negative would be welcomed.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single Bevel and large game
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
You know what they say about bears and blood trails?  lousy right? I shot a very large ( 400 lbd spring bear) with an Eclipse single bevel werewolf 145 grain out of a 43 lb recurve and the blood trail was amazing. Even though he only went 45 yards, there was blood every where. They will be on my arrows on my next moose hunt in 2015.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm going to be  using a 200 grain single bevel Helix for moose this fall. I'll be shooting 49.5# unless I change bows.

Online modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Shoot a large cow moose with a single bevel zwickey no mercy,out of a 52@28 black widow long bow. Arrow lodged in the far shoulder,moose went about 30 yards.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Larry, a 2 blade single bevel Grizzly Kodiac is a deadly broadhead!  

I have killed a bunch of animals with arrows over my 30 years of bowhunting, I have shot 2, 3 and 4 blade heads, single and double beveled.

In my opinion, a sharp broadhead in the right place puts everything down quickly. The blood trail depends on what the broadhead cuts on the way through and where and if the arrow pokes out the other side.

My shortest blood trail to date was this hog killed with a 2 blade single bevel Grizzly Kodiac. You can see the blood on the ground at the impact site and the dead hog in the same picture!

TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
I started using single bevel 150gr. Grizzlystix Samurai heads this year and they are amazing. Easy to sharpen and fly outstanding out of my 52# BW. Highly recommend them to anyone looking to try something new, a little expensive but well worth it.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
YES
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
After reading what Dr. Ashby said about benefits of single bezel and seeing his seminar videos on YouTube I am going to try them this fall.  Seems like Badger, Zwickey No Mercy, and Tuffhead are best options for my set up. Just a little apprehension about the T H's and other well know heads that you have to use adaptor for? Seems like another step, more tine and chance of coming un glued?  Do people really like using the adaptors or am I right that s rew in is easier with less chance of error?

Heads are going on carbon shafts and out of a 49@28 longbow.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
The adapters are easy to hotmelt glue in and with the options of short, long, aluminum or steel you can easily change the weight of the head by which adaptor that you use. It makes it easier to tune the broadhead to your setup.

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Adapters give tremendous versatility in head weights.I used to like screw-ins as I wasn't real good at spinning and aligning the tips.I learned how and it is simple,with an easy to make alignment jig.
 http://www.singlebevelbroadheads.com/Mounting_Aligning_the_Tuffhead.html

Glueing is just like glueing anything.It just takes a few seconds prep of both surfaces and there will be no problem with bonding.There are dozens of people here that will walk you through each step of the process.These days,all my broadheads are on adapters.Nothing wrong with screw ins if they come in the weight and style you need but glue ons just allow more versatility in point weight.

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
Good information, I am leaning toward the tuffhead as I can get the right weight for my set up.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I am leaning toward the tuffhead as I can get the weight I am looking for. I want to have at least 300 grains on the front end.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline WAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
Larry, I have been shooting single bevel Grizzlies for 20 years. I have had to reduce poundage also the last several years and was nervous about shooting large hogs with bow weights in the high 40's, low 50's. My fears where unfounded as I have continued to have good penetration and great blood trails.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be MEN of courage; be strong.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
The Tuffhead is a good one.They are high quality,super tough and come with a very good edge.I hone mine a little but it doesn't take much.A real positive feature also,is that the ferrule is very true and it is about impossible to mount without it spinning true.The also have glue in field points to match.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
Tuffhead 2013.  Tuffhead is the best I've ever tried and I might come close to being able to say that I've tried most.

Tuffhead Africa.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 03:23:00 AM »
For starters.... JimB, mate that's an OUTstanding looking photo right there!

I too will put my vote in for the TuffHead BH. I used them in Africa last year as I was wanting to try the single bevel movement. Well, the two warthogs I busted sure did not enjoy my choice !

Easy to sharpen if you follow the KME way...

If I shoot a single bevel now... TuffHead it is Larry.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 05:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jack Hoyt 75:
 Just a little apprehension about the T H's and other well know heads that you have to use adaptor for? Seems like another step, more tine and chance of coming un glued?  Do people really like using the adaptors or am I right that s rew in is easier with less chance of error?
I have come to prefer the glue-ons with an adaptor because I prefer the steel adaptor over the aluminum, and it seems that most of the screw-ins that I've seen use the aluminum (Zwickey No Mercy and a few others). I just like the extra confidence it gives me that the adaptor failing/breaking is less likely with the steel.

And of course, the tunability of the broadhead is an advantage, too.

Mounting heads to adaptors hasn't been a problem for me (so far), and if you worry about the bond breaking with either hot-melt or super glue, you could always go with a 2 part epoxy, and that sucker won't be going anywhere!

My 2 cents (probably worth less than that, though. Lol)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Larry; glad to hear you are going on a Moose hunt!
The Tuffhead is a great choice as is the Abowyer Brown Bear, either head will do the job. IMO
Take lotsa' pics!   :archer:

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Those Tuffheads look like they are built like a bank vault. I use grizzlies that come in at 160 grains with a screw in adapter and I could not be happier with that broadhead.  It has worked great on big mule deer and I plan on putting one through an elk if they would just cooperate.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
IF I get drawn for a moose tag , I will be using my  62# Pronghorn and Grizzley single bevel.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©