3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blind or no blind.....  (Read 427 times)

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
Blind or no blind.....
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
I was wondering how many of you fellas that kill turkeys with the bow,and also those that hunt turkeys with the bow,use a blind(the pop up type) or go it alone. Curious,let's hear it.

Good Shooting,
                                                                      Craig

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blind or no blind.....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
I never used one.  And never will.  Thats just me.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
Any others???????

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
I haven't killed one yet,but I like to hunt out of a blind. I made one myself,i've made ground blinds,and now I have a popup blind.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
I love these threads. There's a large number of members on here taking smarter game than turkeys without blinds, just using natural cover. I think the terrain has a lot to do with it (obvious, I know). I've had turkey walk up on me when I was just sitting up against a tree deer hunting. Guys like Thumper Dunker on here, he seems to demolish coyotes from just ground sitting and in my experience the coyote is one of the pinacle common north american animals to take with a trad bow, very clever and suspicious - at times not even lending themselves to curiosity. All that being said, I dont turkey hunt. Haha too finicky for my blood.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »
All my turkeys have died without a blind. I sat in a blind this spring, and should have killed a bird, but missed. I much prefer not being locked into a blind. However, blinds are probably a more effective way to get birds close without hearing the infamous "putt, putt".
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
I have killed  all my birds but 1 with a blind.  I enjoy scouting a good spot and setting up in the dark and waiting them out.  I personally haven't had much luck without a blind but I know many others have done very well going blindless.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
I hunt turkeys almost exclusively from a pop-upblind. Have hunted from make-shift ground blinds. No doubt in my mind, it's harder the latter way, even harder if one uses no blind of any type.  You're going to spook more birds without a blind, a lot of them without even knowing it.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
I hunt turkeys without a blind, just a ghillie and a chair.  I have yet to kill a turkey BUT every year I learn more and more about what to do and what not to do.  So far in 4 years I've been able to draw on three birds.  One group of hens two falls ago and just this last Sunday I was able to draw on two birds and get shots.  The fact that I missed both birds is really anticlimactic (scared the crap out them though LOL).  Just being able to draw without being detected was a win for me.  I really enjoy this ghillie suit hunting - it's an incredible rush knowing you are that close to turkeys, deer, elk, whatever and they don't have a clue you are there, it's like being invisible.

It'd be a new mindset for some people because the end game isn't the bird in the hand - it's getting the arrow in the air undetected.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Great feedback,lots of good viewpoints. A buddy gave me a popup blind a few yrs ago,not for me.  I like to feel the wind in my face and see what is going on.

I f I kill a bird it will be with a Ghilli long coat and my Waldrop seat.

Good Hunting,
                                                       Craig

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I tried it both ways this year on my first turkey hunt. Fortunately there were tons of birds, so in my 3 day hunt i was able to learn a lot. The ghillie suit route was excellent without a blind, but any excess bow movement and you are busted...

I used a screen set up for a blind and found that any wind at all that fluttered my leafy screen scared them birds off from 50 yards or more. I didn't use a pop up blind that was available to me for the same reason. We had at least some wind blowing all the time and it just wasn't going to work.

I think the best kind of blind you could have is one made out of natural materials that blends in well with your hunting area that doesn't move around in the wind....

My hat is off in total respect for you guys killing turkeys without a blind. I got a hell of an education on how sharp these birds eye sight is this year..... I had at least 20 birds within range and only got to anchor once without getting busted..... Of course the ghillie suit hood chose that moment to blow accross my face obscuring my vision...... But that's hunting for you....

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
I've taken 1 (my biggest bird turns out) from a brush blind, but the rest (several) out of pop-ups. Here in New England the turkey season coincides with the blackfly/mosquito season and a thermacell in the blind keeps the little !*# at bay.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
I'm determined to do it without a blind, other than a makeshift natural one. So far the turkeys are winning, but I'm pretty stubborn.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Tried both ways. Have taken birds out of a blind. But I have absolutely had some of the best hunts of my life in a ghillie and pac seat. I know lots of guys have killed them without the blinds so it CAN be done. Just gonna keep trying. Good thread.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
All my birds out of a blind.  They up the odds and I like the advantage they give me.
T ZZZZ

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
I've hunted both ways, with and without a blind. The blind is a tremendous advantage over no blind.

I've gotten shots both ways... but have yet to "seal the deal". I seemed jinxed... blind or not when it comes to turkeys!

I'm going without tomorrow... so I can run and "bow". The blind does tie you down and limits the potential action... while providing the best chance to get a shot off if you get the birds in.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Hey Wayne,
              Not to change the topic but  when you put it that way,it is the same as when the rut is in full tilt. Do you keep your feet on the ground,or sit in a tree. It is the ground for me.

Good Shooting,
                                                                     Craig

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Craig:
I do a little hunting from a tree... but stalking is what I really enjoy! I agree... very similar topics.

Good luck.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
No doubt a blind will let you take a more deliberate shot, but sometimes going out with a big set up is not practical.  Around here the birds are spread out.  If you have a big set up and a kid playing that run and gun game, busts the birds, it is pointless to sit any longer.  The birds will not be back anytime soon.  Private or public, there is always a real chance of this.  No matter how well you get set up, when you get a tom going and making a lot of noise, these guys will come charging in.  About the only thing that I have found is to hunt the last week of the season, most of them only the earlier weeks of the spring season, which is what I would be doing right now if that dingbat that rear ended me would have been paying more attention to her driving than her cell phone.  My car is in the shop today.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
You'd really have to have a distracted tom to shoot one with a trad bow w/o a blind here in WI. Many have done it though, I'm sure.  They are very hunted and very wary.  Having said that, I sold my blind here on TG.  Will try w/o one now.

Here is the only spring bird I have killed with a bow (and a blind).  Getting this bird felt really, really gratifying!  Many with a shot gun and no blind though.

Some pics, 23 lbs., severed base of the neck w/Magnus I, 2 blade @ 10 yards. 54" 51#@27" Shrew Lil' Favorite.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©