3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Armguard  (Read 512 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Armguard
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Hey guys! I have a super basic and possibly pretty silly question for you guys.

Are armguard/bracers standard for longbows/recurves? Or is it just a beginner thing that you should be able to go without once you gain proper form?

Coming from the compound world I never needed to wear one. But I am killing my arm now. Is the need simply a function of brace height?

Do you have a favorite armguard? I was looking at the bohning slip on.

Thanks!

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Armguard
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
All my bows are cut past center and I don't need to wear an arm guard unless it's to control loose clothing in cool weather.
However, many others wear them all the time.
When I have shot a friends selfbows I have whacked my arm a few good ones!
It seems that if I line my hand up with my bow arm correctly, I seem to have clearance on my cut past center bows.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
I'm one who puts on an arm guard before I put on my tab or glove. I've had a couple of longbows that I just couldn't seem to shoot without one, or I developed a goose (ostrich?) egg on my forearm. For the most part, I don't need one, but always wear one.

I figure on that rare occasion when my string snags my shirt sleeve, that arrow is not going to hit point of aim. If it slides smoothly off my arm guard, the shot will not be far off unless my release/form was bad and that caused the string to hit in the first place.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
I always wear an armguard.  My longbow has a low grip and a 6" brace height, so the string always whacks me on the wrist.  During the winter it also keeps my jacket sleeve out of the way.

If the string is hitting the upper part of your forearm, you can usually fix that by adjusting your form and rotating your elbow out.

I would recommend getting one.  The last thing you want to do is worry about the string beating you up when you're trying to establish good form.  I have a Bearpaw Dutchman that I like a lot, but it doesn't matter too much what style you get.  They all do the same thing.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
They're fairly standard equipment.  The higher the brace height, the less likely the string is to contact your arm.  Contact with the string is usually greater with low-braced longbows than higher braced recurves.  

Coming from shooting a compound, you probably shoot with a very closed stance, i.e., straight bow arm and 90 degrees to the target.  There are ways to grip the bow to rotate your arm out of the way. Putting a slight bend in your bow arm also reduces or eliminates string slap. Finally, opening your stance a little, i.e., turning your body a bit more toward the target, will also yield greater string clearance.

Good luck.

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I only wear an arm guard when I hunt with significant amount of clothes on to hold back my sleeves.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
never wear one. if you will rotate your bow hand outward a bit (more of a "longbow" type grip, you will move your forearm out of the way.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
It's like a motorcycle helmet -- you don't need one UNTIL you need one.

I ALWAYS wear one.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
And that from someone with REALLY good form.

Thanks Arne.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
The big guy hung his recurve then grabbed my 70 pound hickory, while was lacing my arm guard. He said, "a real man never needs one of those sissy things."  He then says, "can I  try a shot?"  I told him only with my arrows and keep it under 29".  He hit his arm so hard the arrow barely made it to the target.   Just past his elbow, it looked like he tore a blood vessel.  Ice did not help much.  With a recurve I never need one with bare arms, with a longbow I always need one with bare arms.  The big guy figured that out as well.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I haven't hit my arm in a long time, but I still wear an armguard. Like Moebow says, kind of like a bike helmet (or a seatbelt). Plus, I got a cool looking one from Rocky Mt. Specialties.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
I can rotate my hand without rotating my arm. Some folks like my wife can not. I only wear mine when I shoot my Hill style longbow or have long sleeves on.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
I always use one, whether shooting the longbow or recurve.
Sam

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I totally know what you mean about rotating your elbow. I have always dont that on my compounds. However, it just doesn't feel right to me when I do it with my long bow. That's actually why I asked. I always get it in the wrist and it is making me flinch now that I am bruised up. When I turn my elbow it seems I cant hit a thing. I'll order one up and keep practicing.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
I always were one.  No matter what the weather, always hunt in long sleeves.  No question on getting the bowstring hung on a sleeve, and there is a "feel" when I have it on, more of a focus.  That maybe mumbo-jumbo, but heck this thing is about 90% mental!  Plus, stuff happens.  Bust a nock at full draw.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
Take Moebow's advice.
    And try one of my 3DB Armguards....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Arm guard for me, I had goose eggs.   :confused:
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
When I practice with just a T shirt or a light sweatshirt on I always wear an arm guard. I shoot a 75# longbow and have had string contact with my arm when shooting from certain positions. I don't need to be thinking about busting anymore blood vessels in my arm, LOL!

When I hunt and have a thicker top on I don't bother.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I always wear an arm guard. In cold weather, with bulky clothes, I sometimes wear two. One above the elbow and one below. Might sound weird, but it really works.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
With a recurve you generally don't need one if you turn your elbow till the crease is vertical, except when you are wearing loose clothing then it works to hold the clothing our of the way.
With longbow you generally need one and yes it's because if the brace height.
 My favorite is the leather ones  www.rmsgear.com  sells. They are sponsors on here.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©