3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Considering hanging up my guns.  (Read 972 times)

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Considering hanging up my guns.
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
I made that decision back in 1998. I've been blessed to harvest 6 deer with a firearm & 13 with a bow. I'm not as successful but I'm having more fun !

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
For a long time I was bow only but I still hunt squirrels with a .22 rifle. I reflect on the days when my dad and I would bow hunt in the a.m. and squirrel hunt in the afternoon while scouting for deer on an indian summer day. A few times in the winter I haul out my .410 winchester 101 and go for rabbits. The smell of shotgun powder reminds me of my youth. And yes, during the gun season it's about tradition. But I'm still 90% archery.

Offline mpugh12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
I grew up bow hunting, I got a rifle when I was old enough to go to work and buy my own. I killed one deer with the rifle and sold it, seamed to easy.

But the last few years ive bow hunted and hunted with a flintlock rifle, the flintlock is a challenge. Ive missed a couple with the flintlock that I wish id had my bow with me instead.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the hunting instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunter's call.

In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite.

After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction, it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport.

With the rapid development of firearms, hunting tends to lose its sporting quality. The killing of game is becoming too easy; there is little triumph and less glory than in the days of yore. Game preservation demands a limitation of armament. We should do well to abandon the more powerful and accurate implements of destruction, and revert to the bow."

Hunting with the Bow and Arrow
               By Saxton Pope, 1923.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
good post dragonheart

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
I've been a gun nut all my life, both pistols and rifles.  No reason to really hang them up per se, just a matter of choice as to use what when.  

I've taken two coyote at over 600 yards, neither of which was as rewarding as the grey fox at 15.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
600 yards with a bow is a long shot. LOL

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Pretty much bow only but do sometimes hunt with my handgun.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
I consider myself a bowhunter, but before I retired from agriculture, a .22 LR was kept handy for nuisance animals around the barn, like skunks, feral cats, and an occasional raccoon. I made and sold good bit of hay and my primary interest was sellings lambs.

A very accurate .270, (my former deer rifle), was pretty much reserved for woodchucks that were attempting to den, out in my fields, (equipment hazard), and eastern coyotes, who were engaged at every opportunity, in defense of my flock and border collie.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
I should have added that I was also pretty tough on pigeons attempting to nest in my barn. (They could ruin a lot of stacked hay with "droppings", if you didn't stay on top of them.) For that, particular, animal control issue, a Howard Hill longbow, and an ash arrow, tipped with an Ace Hex Head blunt, was my weapon of choice. (The Judos tended to stick in the ceiling!)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm close...

Bow and flintlock/cap and ball for me..
..oh..and some .22 for squirrels with the kiddos...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
I'll take the place of the exception of this post.  I am PROUD to hunt with a rifle if I have a tag during rifle season. I don't hunt with a rifle only if (insert justification/excuse/rationalization). I just love to hunt.  I see far fewer animals when rifle hunting than when archery hunting, but I have more shot opportunities with a gun.  It really evens out my chances at filling my tag. I don't see rifle hunting as the lowly method of the inexperienced, lazy hunter.  Which ever I carry in the woods I am thankful to be outside doing what I love. With that being said, my longbow weights 1/4 as much as my rifle and the CO archery season is a month long with usually more pleasant weather.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
I love my guns and love hunting with them.  

Towards the end of May, I'll hit the Mulberry patches and take a couple limits of young gray squirrels with a trusted .22 rifle that I've packed around for 20+ years.

Early September will find me in a sunflower patch hunting migrating mourning doves with my 3 daughters having an absolute blast with shotguns in hand.

Later in September, Teal will push Southward on the shoulders of the first cold fronts of the Fall.  I'll be there with my Labrador and my favorite Barretta 12 ga.

Around the first of October I'll spend a couple days stumbling around in the thickest cover I can find in search of migrating Timberdoodles (woodcock).  

Mid November will find me perched in my favorite treestands or huddled up in a warm box blind with one of my girls. With me, will be a pre-64 Model 70 my father gave me for my 16th birthday.

When I bowhunt, for frogs, fish, turkeys, deer or small game I choose a recurve, but first and foremost, I'm a hunter, a trapper and a fisherman and I'm damn proud of it. To limit myself to just a bow would prevent me from doing a great deal of things I truly love, not to mention make my Labrador retriever very grumpy.

To all things a season
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
I found I get less meat but the experience fills the gap, being closer to the animals in a more natural state and less competition for peace in the woods.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
I don't mind hunting with a gun, it's all the other people hunting with guns that annoy me.  It's just more peaceful in the woods with a bow.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
About six years ago for sport hunting. Might take a gun in the general deer season. For the coyotes its now bow only got too easy with a rifle they show up and you shoot them. Still use the rifles for problem animals and when I need to clean the orchards out of ground squirrels.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAP:
I love my guns and love hunting with them.  

Towards the end of May, I'll hit the Mulberry patches and take a couple limits of young gray squirrels with a trusted .22 rifle that I've packed around for 20+ years.

Early September will find me in a sunflower patch hunting migrating mourning doves with my 3 daughters having an absolute blast with shotguns in hand.

Later in September, Teal will push Southward on the shoulders of the first cold fronts of the Fall.  I'll be there with my Labrador and my favorite Barretta 12 ga.

Around the first of October I'll spend a couple days stumbling around in the thickest cover I can find in search of migrating Timberdoodles (woodcock).  

Mid November will find me perched in my favorite treestands or huddled up in a warm box blind with one of my girls. With me, will be a pre-64 Model 70 my father gave me for my 16th birthday.

When I bowhunt, for frogs, fish, turkeys, deer or small game I choose a recurve, but first and foremost, I'm a hunter, a trapper and a fisherman and I'm damn proud of it. To limit myself to just a bow would prevent me from doing a great deal of things I truly love, not to mention make my Labrador retriever very grumpy.

To all things a season
I'm kind of like you TRAP!
I love the long bow & recurve, I love it I can shoot a bow in the backyard.  :     :campfire:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I won't give up the guns anytime soon. I shoot my great grandpa's old rifle, and it has never yet failed to make meat in a hunting season while in my possession. Western hunting is a whole lot different anyways. I couldn't begin to count how many animals I've seen at 700-1500 yards. It takes a lot of effort to get in range, even with a rifle. In that respect, it is just as much of a hunt as it is with a bow.

That said, it is pretty hard to top an elk hunt in September with the longbow.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Its tuff hunting doves with a bow.............

90% of my hunting is with a bow but I still enjoy taking out a shotgun/pistol/sidelock every once in a while...............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©