3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your favorite smell?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your favorite smell?
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
The smell of a campfire with friends and an awesome dinner cooking.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Steamed crabs with old bay after being on the river all day.
Horses, the smell when you bury your nose in their hair.
Fresh cut leather
Smell of the first cold front in the deer woods.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
So many that could be listed...but the first ones that come to mind that are bow hunting related:

The smell that hits my nose after I make a 2 hr drive to the Ouachita Nat'l Forest in SE Oklahoma to hunt black bears. (It's a heavy pine scent that isn't usually present in the NE region of the state.)

The smell of the campfire that I start using the pine needles from the forest floor, later that night.

Fresh Earth scented ANYTHING! (I LOVE that stuff! LOL!)

The first cool evening in the fall. Such a welcome and exciting aroma after a long hot summer! It's the smell of hope, and of wonderful days afield ahead, to me.

The heavy dew on new green growth just before the sun breaks the horizon in the early spring. It's kinda bittersweet to me though, because it means that turkeys will be available for hunting again, but also that my favorite seasons are over, and that hot weather isn't far away.

Honeysuckle in the air means it's full-on 3D season again, and that is always great times with family and friends.

The smell of gunsmoke, the scent of a woman, they get my blood pumping like any other man, but well, that's another topic altogether....

Great topic!!!!

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
The combination of that wild apple tree I walked by on way back to my car and the turkey.  I took the time to stop smell the flowers.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
cedar, pine forest in the fall, wet wool. rain, coffee,  (I also white water kayak, so) the river,
dark timber that elk have been in...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Love the smell of a new bow just out of the shipping box that I have been waiting on forever! I also love the smell of  morning air when the temp is around zero and there is a cover of fresh snow on the ground. Being down wind of a grove of fir trees. And the distinct smell in the air of a rutting buck. And I could go on and on and on, I thank my creator Jesus Christ for the wonderful blessing of a sense of smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :thumbsup:  Ain't we got fun! Gary.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Another smell I like is my man cave. It is a combination of Hoppe's # 9 and the leather of my bow quivers.
Sam

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Buck tarsal glands (The ruttier    :archer:     the better)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
You guys are right, Hoppes#9 is about even with skunk with me. My wife wont wear hoppes either.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
Ponderosa on the continental divide - Gila Natl Dorest -NM- end of September. Haven't been since 2004 and can recall it at will - that smell is the trigger that brings back all the memories
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Bacon.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline sundog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
"that smell is the trigger that brings back all the memories" I like this feeling.

My favorite :
- The smell of the wind coming up from the valley in the evening when you are in the mountains.
- The smell of dry leaves and humus in the fall.
- And of course the smell of the hair of my childrens and of my wife.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
It is said the sense of smell carries with it your greatest form of memory.  I love the smell of my child, while that last.  Similarly I love the smell of puppy breath, again, while that last.

The oddest and most memorable smell eluded me for years.  It was a smell that I knew I had smelled before and just couldn't put my finger on it. It was the smell of fresh caught halibut.  It is a really unique and perhaps slightly offensive to some, but it reminded me of something that was too close to my heart and my being to go unsolved.  Things like this can have a haunting effect on your psyche.  

It was only a few years ago while I was visiting my family in California that my mom and I went to a huge flower convention that was for wholesalers only.  That's when my memory was finally relieved of the gap that was inadvertently created.  It was poppys the smell of poppys! My grandparents had a decorative flower bed that had poppys and I always remembered how I thought why would anyone want such a stinky plant in their yard.  

Both G-parents have passed and they where the salt of the earth type of people that showed countless acts of selflessness.  Now every time I put a halibut on-board I take a big whiff of the darn things just in the memory of them...

Cool thread thanks!
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I like a birch or oak campfire or the same woods in my Franklin wood stove. in the cabin

The smell of POC, of course.

The fresh barnyard smell of elk when I'm among em.

The smell of sage carried on a warm breeze up the mountain in the afternoon.

Aspen and tag alder leaves on the forest floor in late September.

The icy freshness of a 0 degree morning in northern Wisconsin in early November.

At the end of the day, the smell of a good cigar and glass of bourbon.

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Honeysuckle..when Mother Nature's feeling gracious
and the high sage around Meeker after evening showers blow through.
OK..throw in "pacon" pie while we're at it.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Honey suckle nothing like it. Also like gardina. The smell of wood smoke in the fall, especially hickory cause that usually means something good is cooking. The smell of the leaves in the fall. And what we call Confederate Jasimine.
But Honey Suckle has got to be my favorite.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
The first time the soil is turned in the spring after layin up in winter. Yes I am a farm boy. Every time I see a tractor in the field tilling I roll down my windows and slow down. It soothes like nothing else, literally its like Prozac for the soul.

Dave

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
My wife's special perfume    :D  --next would probably   be bacon frying in the outdoors.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Besides bacon, fresh cut grass, honeysuckle, wysteria when it blooms, poplar when it blooms. What smell gets me ready for the hunt? I can't think of one. when the leaves turn and the air cools gets me in the mood to shoot something fuzzy. seeing a squirrel on my bird feeder also inspires such a feeling.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
I love the smell of the inside of a deer when I am cleaning one.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©