3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your favorite smell?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your favorite smell?
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
Clean babies and Johnson's No More Tears Shampoo.  Missed many a hunting trip with those smells and never regretted it for a second.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Clean babies and Johnson's No More Tears Shampoo.  Missed many a hunting trip with those smells and never regretted it for a second.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
So many great, memory-inducing smells already listed above. As I read through your lists I was reminded of so many that mean so much for so many reasons.

But as I thought about just WHAT made the smells special, I realized that the circumstances around the smells brought more meaning to my mind than the odors themselves.

A wet dog for instance - the particulars of the odor may be the same, but drying a wet dog from letting it out to do it's business in the rain doesn't appeal to me; but gently drying an exhausted, wet, hardworking bird dog after a day afield together and then smelling him/her on the way home while they are curled-up in the front seat and your hand is resting on their wet fur is one of my all-time faves.

I don't like to get hot and sweaty and smell myself most times, but after traipsing miles after elk in the morning and being bone-soaked wet from rain or dew on the outside and sweat from the inside as the mid-day sun and dry air turn from humid to arid, the dried sweat and salt leave an acrid reminder of effort that makes me smile.

There are many other examples, but possibly the most stark one is the smell of a locker room at the end of football camp. It is simply disgusting if you're not on the team. But, oh how I miss and can recall it over 30 years from last suiting-up.

One more, bow-hunting related, I always snap off a few sassafras twigs when able and carry them in my pocket. I chew on the twigs to freshen my breath and then periodically crush the leaves in my fingers to smell it while roving around the woods.

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Deer estrous...even though I don't use it anymore.  Reminds me of putting it out as a kid and hoping a huge buck would come running.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
The smell of evergreen on frosty sept. mornings. Also the stink of elk or pronghorn smells good to me.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
at the moment.....tahr
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
Great stuff I got a couple more. Rabbit and squirrel guts. the smell of that pretty girl at lows I agree with that . A damp foggy morning. A wet dog that wants to rub all over you.  Wet rotting leaves. Cow patties.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Ihad a 10 acre piece in so humbolt and I had some pepperwood trees below the house.Whenever I smell them anywhere it reminds me of that place in time.30 yrs ago now.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
Fresh venison in hot butter.

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Donuts, chocolate wafting up from my bear bait!

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Gun Powder, Hoppe's #9, wood smoke from a campfire, cedar from an arrow, bacon and a long legged good lookin woman!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©