3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch tape question  (Read 812 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fletch tape question
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
I know from reading here many DYI arrow makers like fletch tape. I have had mixed results myself. My question is: how well does it hold up to summer temps above 90 degrees on carbon and alum arrows?
Thank you, Tom M

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch tape question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I have used it for 10 yrs. works great on carbons. Never tried aluminum

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
I had it fail in Michigan summer weather, and figured since I was using duco on the front and back, I might as well skip the tape all together and just glue the whole thing.  I have been pleased ever since I gave up using fletch tape.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I've always used the tape over wraps, I have not had a problem.
  I would not leave them in a hot car, I have never really pushed it to see what they could take.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
i shot a hog with this arrow, and recovered the hog but the arrow was lost in the south carolina bush for over a year before terry found it.  tape fletched and while the feathers were eaten by the bugs, the quills were Firmly attached to the shaft and hadda get scraped off with a knife edge.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
here's another 4-fletch, complete hog pass-thru, quills are Firmly attached to the shaft.  i only use fletch tape for all arrows, no need to use glue, but i do put a tiny dot of duco fore and aft of each fletch to smooth out the quill ends.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Love the tape. That's all I use.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Love the tape. That's all I use.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
It must be twice as good.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Shot in the heat with them last summer, in the rain, snow, and and hunted and shot during a very cold winter this year and I'm still shooting them. They havnt cme off through all that.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Generally if you're going to have any problem with tape it's because it's too old.  Unless you use it pretty fast, keep your supply in the refrigerator or freezer between uses and you should have no problem with it.  

I've used it on carbon, aluminum and wood - never had a problem with it - can't say the same thing for any of the glues I've tried.  

I do roll the front of the quill with an arrow shaft and put a drop of super glue on it, but that's to keep it from cutting me, not to keep the fletching on.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
I've noticed that the roll will air dry over time even in a plastic bag. +1 on the use it up asap advice. Other than that, great stuff!
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Nothing but positive results here. I too put a dab of glue to ease the edge of the quill just in case it hits my hand as it passes in shooting.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 01:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by dragon rider:
Generally if you're going to have any problem with tape it's because it's too old.  Unless you use it pretty fast, keep your supply in the refrigerator or freezer between uses and you should have no problem with it.  

I've used it on carbon, aluminum and wood - never had a problem with it - can't say the same thing for any of the glues I've tried.  

I do roll the front of the quill with an arrow shaft and put a drop of super glue on it, but that's to keep it from cutting me, not to keep the fletching on.
Times two! Store it in the fridge and you will be ok!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 02:06:00 AM »
Iused some old stuff and to compound it I used over some bad wipe on poly and they came off not all but enough for me to go back to glue.platinum gets it done.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
UMMM do more searching on here before you buy...

You will find that there are as close to as many lovers as haters for reasons that I don't get as many folks on both sides seem to be seasoned arrow builders.

I will offer that in my opinion the "fixes" that are offered to the haters have not proven to be fixes as implied.  Thus, I have no clue as to why it works so well for some and not others.  

But let me offer something more productive...you don't need to use it.  Glue is tried and true.  And if speed is the issue ... use Gorilla super glue, instead of seconds it will take  minutes, which is frankly fast enough for arrow building.  

And actually applying glue to the quill is a lot faster than putting on the tape straight and taking off the covering so maybe it is about the same time...

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
to each their own, it's all good.

for decades i used slow curing fletchtite and duco.  then the faster curing superglues.  the fletchtape back then pretty much, well, sucked.  completely inferior to the bohning tape of today.  

with good tape and a good fletch process, the arrows are completed and ready to shoot as they come off the jig, and it takes far less time to fletch up a dozen or three while i'd still be working on the first arrows if i was using glue exclusively.  

too many folks just dunno about shaft preparation and how to best lay down the tape, and/or they're using the wrong tape or tape that's too old.

i'm a video, click me ...

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
I've had great luck with it at all temperatures and conditions, however, the last roll I bought doesn't stick well at all. I keep having to add fletching glue fore and aft on the feathers or they are curled off by morning.
Just a bad batch, hopefully.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their responses. I have learned some new things about the tape.
One of my reasons behind my question is my present location and it's environment. Rocks, stones, hard as rock soil that tears apart feathers when the arrow has a mind of It's own. I want to use tape as it looks like I could make repairs faster and cleaner than glue.
Thanks agian, Tom M

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
I believe the heat actually helps them
I normally warm them with a hair dryer when fletching.
Then unning my nail down the edge.

Its the only use for a hair dryer I have anymore
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©