3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Verawood bows..any pics?  (Read 536 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Verawood bows..any pics?
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Hey Gang,

Came across some pics of verawood.
The stuff looks really cool.

Wondering if anyone has a bow made with it.
Love to see some pics if they're out there.

Thanks
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Verawood bows..any pics?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
South lists it as an option in the Stalker Bows catalog.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Quick look on internet, interesting wood with good looks and different color variations. Changes color over time. Wonder how hard it is to glue up with the waxy properties?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
the green and brown after the change looked very nice to me too.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Almost has a camp dymond wood look. Sounds like a tough dense wood. Hope a bow pic or two come up.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Vera Wood - o you mean like this Hill Wild Boar?

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
That's a pretty piece in there.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
I'm glad you asked this. I'm on Big Jim's build list for another Buffalo,and have been looking at this wood. I haven't decided,but was considering this wood. I would also like to see more pictures. It looks like it varies quite a bit?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Vera is also known as Argentine lignum vitae. It is very hard and strong with a average weight that parallels gabon  ebony...about 74lbs per cubic foot.

osage is only 54 lbs per cubic foot.

It makes a beautiful bow and I have used it in both limb veneers and riser material. Sorry, but I don't have any pictures. Usually starts off looking kind of like a deep carmel and then gradually changes to a hint of green.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
The material is pretty interesting to work worth. Very waxy, as noted earlier. The wood turns green with exposure to light/oxygen, but is the color of straw when you are working it. Left unfinished, it will turn back to green fairly quickly, but if you spray it immediately, it really slows that process down. I just did a verawood bow with pistachio limb veneers for James Pressley. Maybe you guys can badger him into posting a pic.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »
South built me one a while back. Here's what he is referring to in terms of the color change when left unfinished. South asked if I wanted it sprayed when green or brown. For the final product, I wanted it on the brown side, so he sprayed it immediately after a light sanding instead of letting it sit for a while.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 04:01:00 AM »
Here are some outdoor images…

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
Beautiful bow Ryan.

Thanks for posting the pics.
It was neat to see the green being sanded off.

Really pretty grain on your bow.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
Until this morning at 3am I had never heard of verawood... Now I'm glad I did as I think I have found the second wood for my future bow  ;)  thanks for the pics and info but one thing I did not understand  what you meant about the average weight compared to gaboon ebony.....  Thanks again  :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by cmh:
...but one thing I did not understand  what you meant about the average weight compared to gaboon ebony.....  Thanks again   :)  
Gaboon ebony is very dense, so many like it for the addded weight of the riser.  It just means that Verawood has the same density.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
Vera is also known as Argentine lignum vitae. It is very hard and strong with a average weight that parallels gabon  ebony...about 74lbs per cubic foot.

osage is only 54 lbs per cubic foot.

It makes a beautiful bow and I have used it in both limb veneers and riser material. Sorry, but I don't have any pictures. Usually starts off looking kind of like a deep carmel and then gradually changes to a hint of green.

BigJim
Wow, 20 pounds heavier then Osage.      :eek:

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks    :thumbsup:
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
I pulled these shots from the Hawaii Connection section from one of Ryan's threads:

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm trying to picture that with zebrawood  :) ))
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
I think an interesting contrast would be to do a whole riser in Verawood, but have separate sections aged green, and other sections straw colored.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©