3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Clothing-I need recommendations  (Read 608 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Clothing-I need recommendations
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
I've  been guilty of hunting in jeans and a north face jacket. It's time for me to get some real hunting clothes.

I'm looking for a company that has a layering system that will carry me from September to January. Sitka is the only company I know of so what else is out there?    :help:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Clothing-I need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
If using camo in cooler weather, I generally use military clothes and layer with wool. Otherwise, I use wool trousers and either La Clair or Asbell wool top. In early bow season, when it is hot, I wear a camo mesh bug suit over a T-shirt. Whatever the garb, ALWAYS "wear" Permanone spray on your clothes to kill ticks. Also, snake boots, especially when you come down South to hunt.
Sam

Offline poopfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
I go cheap, kinda. Synthetic under shirt, fleece zip-up, gore-tex rain jacket. I know gore-tex isn't cheap, but it aint $300. I also don't look for camo. Straight black works for me.
 I also like fleece neck gaiter and hat. This combo works well if you hike a long way before and after you hunt.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
asat bibs 70$

asbell wool 81$

Thats about all ya need! layer accordingly.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »
Core4element. Check Camofire.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
Wool. Next to the skin, midlayer, outer. Layer according to temp. Rainsuit is nice but optional.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Silent Predator wool. I bought a few pieces over the past year and I am really impressed with the design, quality of the wool itself and especially cost.

Ron

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
Check out the Pedator camo line we carry . We will also have several new layering items in the next couple months
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
KUIU
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Wear no cotton near the skin.  Wool is great! Merino wool is best by far.

First Lite, Kuiu. Want more traditional look how can you beat Asbell.

Also check out a Cabelas or Gander Mountain catalog or website. Lots of options and brands for modern hunting camo.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
I'd also look at getting a vest WITH a windblocker.  They go a long way towards keeping you warm for their weight.  You can use it as a layering component in really cold weather or outerwear for a good bit of the year.  Fleece vest is good.

Get some Merino wool tops and bottoms from Core4Element from Camofire.com, a wool jacket from Asbell, bib, and a good rain jacket.  Think you would be set.  BTW, merino can be had cheap in solid colors if you watch the Internet for sales.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
It depends on the kind of hunting you do.  There is some overlap but my elk hunting clothes are different than my November tree stand hunting clothes.  Base layers are always merino wool.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
I just about had a heart attack when I priced some of the clothing "systems". I probably don't know what I am missing with the high end quality hunting apparel, but I would rather spend my money on Pronghorns, Black Tails, and Swarovskis. So, lately I have bought whatever on sale. I don't have a picture of what I wear in the really cold weather.

I guess I did spend some money a matching set once, sweater and vest and pants from Bob Fratzke and I liked it a lot. But that was twenty years ago, still have the vest in one of the photos below.

This in Colorado when chasing elk:

This when chasing deer in ND:

When it gets cold in MN I use these bibs and add an Asbell Wool Hoodie with Merino wool next to my skin.

"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
If jeans and a northface work for you, so be it. I've been out in a T-shirt and cargo pants.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
As long as you buy something a size bigger, for when you pack on that inevitable 20 pounds that comes and goes, high quality clothing is something that will last not only your lifetime, but you can actually pass it on to another generation.

Another aspect of high quality clothing is, it's one of the rare opportunities where you can 'Buy American", where the vast majority of material and labor is actually made here. Think of it as a "put your money where your mouth is" proposition.

Wool is nearly impossible to beat for traditional archery hunting. The material attributes are well known, those being warm, good when wet and quiet. But it's the quiet part that is so important, since traditional archery is a close range game, where 30 yards is well out of range for the majority of hunters. Other materials, with the exception of unlined fleece, can make the slightest noise when dead, dead calm in the woods.

I suggest you actually pick a lighter wool versus a heavy weight wool. Most archery hunting is done in fairly nice Autumn weather, where temps in the 40's-60's is common. Heavy wool on a sunny 50 degree day can be too much. That's where buying up in size in a lighter wool comes in handy. If October or November temps dip into the 20's or 30's, extra layers with a heavy wool sweater will take care of the chill. Heavy weight wool is great in December, but most hunting hours afield are logged prior to December, for most archery hunters. And lots of hunters are south of, or at least near the old Mason-Dixon line, where even December isn't frozen.

Unless you're going to late season deer hunt in Canada, Minnesota, Michigan UP, etc. most lined wool garments are excessively warm and heavy to boot. Also, any lined garments typically always make a little noise. Do you see that I hate any noise?

There's some great sponsors here that sell some great clothing. Also look into King of the Mountain, Silent Predator, Gray Wolf Woolens, Day One Camo, Classic Sportsman Wool and others mentioned in other posts. If you want plaids, Johnson Woolen Mills has some fantastic patterns to mull over. Any Pendleton Board Shirt will last a lifetime too, although I believe they are assembled in Mexico now. Still, I have several new Pendleton's because it's hard to find a high quality, yet light weight plaid button down shirt with a straight bottom hem that's made in the USA. A Pendleton Board Shirt with a very light weight wicking base layer is perfect when temps are in the 60's.

I'll give a specific shout out to Gray Wolf Wool, because they will do custom work, even with wool you provide. They've done a bunch of clothing for me, even some blaze orange wool for rifle season. In fact, today I'm sending a yard of a sweet Johnson Wool plaid pattern to Gray Wolf for them to make a bucket hat for me. While certainly not Wal-Mart cheap, that's they type of quality and service many traditional archers love and seek out.

Johnson Wool makes plaid wool daypacks/backpacks and fanny packs and their prices are very reasonable...
 http://johnsonwoolenmills.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=2

I found the oddest source for great, one of a kind Pendleton wool plaids. It seems Pendleton wool plaid is big with the South LA Low Rider crowd. Who knew? Check out this link for the best new Pendleton selection you'll find. They even have prior year plaids and exclusive plaids made for just them, by Pendleton...
       http://greenspansstore.com/category.sc?categoryId=37

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
First lite is some great stuff. I know that our Sponsor Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear is now a dealer for them. Check it out.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I echo Dave at St. Joe. I have predator from the compression under ware through poly shirt/pant, poly jacket, fleece vest, to rain jacket and pant. Combo works great for me. Just finished colder than normal turkey season from 80's first day to 50's last day. Various combos worked great. I hunt on the ground natural cover w/no other camo cover and call Toms up to long bow range.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
I'm a lifelong backpacker, nordic skier, canoeist and winter camper. I live in NH currently and have lived and worked as a SAR dog handler in AK, MN, NH and WA. When I stopped doing that about 6-7 years ago, I took up hunting for the first time. I won a Sitka Gear outfit in a contest a few years back. I also sold outdoor clothing for several years. What follows comes from that experience.

First thing is to match clothing system to season and locale. If you're humping heavy loads up a mountainside out West or in AK, you need to shed heat and keep your skin dry as much as possible during the ascent. This is where much of the Sitka Gear clothing and its followers in the market do best, IMO. (They are based on materials and clothing design features that backpackers and mountaineers have used for years.)

However, if you're going to be sitting on the ground or standing around for any extended period in cold weather, you will need additional insulation with you. I haven't used the Sitka cold weather clothing that is intended for treestands and the like, so remember that when I say the rest of their stuff will not keep you warm in winter conditions without other insulation.

Wool is great for hunting, right up until it has to deal with a downpour. It will absorb a lot of water and keep you warm, but that water does not lose weight until it is evaporated off or dried next to a honking big fire. The material is heavy to start with, and a downpour makes the weight that much worse. I have a wool parka and pants which feel like a suit of armor which I'm very happy to have on during cold weather. But I wouldn't want to wear it up a Western mountain unless I had some some saddle stock under me.

Bottom line for me is: Wool in thin to thick layers as needed, starting from the skin out. High-tech stuff over it when it's necessary to travel light in truly harsh weather, especially on sweat-inducing steep slopes or in atrocious wind.

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Check online for Army surplus wool. You can get new, unissued wool shirt-jac and wool field pants for less than $30 apiece. My shirt is 80% wool and 20% nylon, so it is hand washable. My field pants are 100% wool (I think). Of course, they are solid OD. For early season I use my BDUs in woodland camo. Be sure to treat whatever you have with permethrin.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Online Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
kuiu, great stuff and a sponser
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©