3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Abbott Shooters here?  (Read 320 times)

Offline swiftstick86

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Abbott Shooters here?
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Hi everyone.  I was just wondering if any of you shoot longbows made by Steve Abbott.  I bought one used three years ago, my first trad bow, and I absolutely love it.  I killed my first archery deer with it this past Halloween.  Steve passed away a couple months ago and I had my heart set on getting my hands on a couple more of his bows.  His friend, Chris, is still making bows and I put one on order with him a few days ago.  I'm really excited to be getting a new long bow, but saddened to know that I won't ever have the man who made the bow that got me so hooked on trad archery make a bow specifically for me.  

So how about it?  Do any of you folks shoot an Abbott?  How would you compare it to other bows you have shot.  I am so hooked on mine that I don't even have the desire to shoot anything else.

Jeff

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Abbott Shooters here?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
I've been shooting Abbotts for many years. I'm currently shooting a 66" yew limb/cocobolo riser, 47# @ 27". It's my fourth longbow from Steve and I'll never part with this one. He made it for me a year ago.

I've bumped into Steve several times over the years at big shoots here in PA. He always knew me by name in spite of our sparse meetings and the thousands of people he greeted in his booth. He was a heck of a nice guy and made beautiful great shooting bows.

This past summer I had the good fortune of seeing Steve again at the ETAR in July. We talked a bit and joked around like always. I even got my picture taken with him and my new bow. Pretty cool guy.

Last Oct I shot my first deer in 16 years with my new longbow and had to tell Steve the news that night by email. He was happy for me and wished me well on my upcoming hog hunt in the spring. That was the last we communicated.

I'm really glad I got one of his last bows and the chance to see him again before he passed. Gonna miss him.

This evening I took my Abbott off the rack and strung it up. I had not shot it in awhile and just had the urge to take it for a spin. I emptied quiver after quiver into my targets. Shooting this bow just makes me smile.

Good luck with your new bow!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I've had Abbott longbows. Steve was friendly and helpful on the phone. I know he donated at least one bow to the troops overseas. At one time he harvested his own yew wood from the Northern Cascades. I had one of his yew longbows. It was a thing of beauty. Steve did a lot promoting traditional archery and bowhunting. He was good for our sport. It's too bad he's gone.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
We were camped near him two years go.  A unique guy who turned out terrific bows.  Our community will miss him
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Bluegoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
I have a 66" 40# @ 28" Abbott with Cocobolo Riser and yew limbs. We bought it used last summer and, it is my favorite bow out of all that I have owned. I probably get 46 # or so out of it with my 30.5" draw and the Abbott really zips an arrow. It draws and shoots so sweetly and is just elegant and beautiful to look at. My daughter and I couldn't get over how beautiful it was when we got it out of the shipping tube. I dubbed it the "Lauren Bacall of longbows" the first time I shot it. (Google if you need to ask)

I plan to order another bow from Chris sometime this summer about 5# heavier.

I only got to speak to Steve a couple of times by phone, but found him very helpful and enthusiastic.
Dave Johnson ASL 68" 50#@30"

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
So is Chris taking over Abbott Longbows?

I have two of them, all yew with cocobolo handles-love them.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline swiftstick86

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
Kelly, it appears so.  I spoke with Chris on the phone and had had some short e-mail correspondence with him.  I asked if he would still be using the forms that Steve used and he said yes.  I will be letting you all know how the new bow turns out, but the wait is going to be a little while.  45-60 days was the estimate Chris gave me.

The Abbott that I have now is 48# at 28".  I got it used, and I think the riser is walnut.  I'm not sure about the limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©