3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice differences.  (Read 531 times)

Offline Joe03

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice differences.
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Just wondering about your practice.  Been shooting Longbow for only a couple months and seem to be doing well. But, I see differences in how well I do with different factors.
If I shoot casually "with out thinking"I am all over the target, if I get pissed do to this fact at times I actually miss the target. If I slow down and think, it gets better, if I put myself in a "I know I can do it concentrate, I do very well. If after working in the yard, mowing, or what ever, and end up tired, I might as well just unstring her.
Are you folks who have been at it for awhile have these same , I'll call problems due to the fact I can't think of a better word, or does it finally all come together?
Spirit 46# Longbow,
Maddog Mountaineer Longbow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice differences.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
It does all finally come together after awhile . Just keep shooting and before you know it you will have a hard time going back to a recurve . Not that I dont like recures but once the longbow gets in your blood its hard to leave them .
Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm still waiting for it to all come together, and I have been doing this a long time. If I concentrate, I'm fine, but if I lose just a little concentration, things go downhill fast. Byron Ferguson is in no danger from me, but I shoot pretty well most of the time.
The concept of shooting a longbow (or recurve, for that matter) is simple; pick a spot, concentrate, anchor, release. However, simple isn't always easy. Maybe that is why we enjoy it so much; if it was easy, it might get boring, and the constant challenge to do everything right keeps it interesting.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
G Fred Asbell's book Instinctive Shooting goes into this in depth. I'm the same way, I shoot well for as long as I can concentrate well. The minute I lose focus, forget it. Some of shooting is muscle memory but I would argue focused concentration plays a much bigger role in accuracy.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
I think you go through stages of development as a shooter, although you may not easily recognize them. I'm no world class shooter, but I'm fairly decent. I've been at it a long time, and the more I think, the worse I shoot. Notice though, think and concentrate are not the same thing.

At first , thinking through the steps is probably best. But eventually you'll get to where it's more automatic. It takes time, but you'll get there!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
Early on in my traditional quest of five years I read some great coaching information from a European Olympic coach...he said it takes an average of 10 years for an archer to reach their full potential...just be happy you did not start until you were 57 like me

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
much of shooting for me is mental. mostly just concentrating. the rest is good consistant form. once form is consistant concentrate on the spot. i only shoot one arrow then go get it then walk back to another spot, and repeat. this will help with the mental aspect. i highly recommend to shoot ONE arrow at a time.
Kevin Day

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
I do what karrow does.  I shoot one arrow at a time and I try and make each one count.  I used to shoot groups but what I do now prepares me better for hunting.  Some days I just don't feel it so I keep it short.  Other days I can't miss.  Most days I'm decent as long as my head is straight and I don't overthink it.  Don't overthink it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Good points here. A few I do myself,1 arrow makes you really concentrate,not to mention gives you a lot of exercise,especially if your back beyond 30 yds.

Let's face it,it is all about that first shot if you are practicing for hunting, which is why  most of us practice for the most part.

Shooting bow for me is also a time to escape from the rest of the worlds problems,and it's a lot cheaper than counseling.

Concentration is a key ingredient to getting your arrow where you want, as are form,follow through,etc.

Don't be hard on yourself when it is just not happening. We all have those days.

Good Shooting,
                                        Craig

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
Yup, we all have those days... Mostly when I train, I try to keep focused when I begin. I make sure I do everything all right, paying attention with every shot. Then, after a while, let's say 15 minutes or halve an hour, you get tired in your head of being so focused all the time... Then I let go and keep on shooting on the automatic pilot.
But I think it is important to shoot a while paying good attention  to your form. After some months you will notice if you train in such a way, your form and accuracy will improve.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
When I am shooting for form, I am only concentrating on one part of the form at a time.  When I am trying to see what I can hit, I do my best when I think about nothing.  If I need to think about my anchor when trying to hit a dandelion on my target, I will miss the dandelion.  That is my signal that my anchor needs work.  The best shots that I make on game, I barely remember taking the shot.
The best five consecutive shots that I ever saw was my daughter with her Hill Cheetah.  We had bad smelling brownish flowers that were rimmed with gold peddles.  She stuck one on the target backed up to about ten yards and shot, the outer gold peddles sparkled in the morning sun as they fell to the ground.  She repeated that four more times, each time further away, until she was 22 yards out, then declared that she was in no need of any shooting advice from me.  When I asked her how she did that the answer was, "beats me, I just did it."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Nothing good becomes automatic until you have done it very many times in a concentrated manner. In other words, it will take much practice with intense emphasis on form. Just keep shooting and focus, focus, focus. Over time you will get better and better, but always remember that parts of your form will constantly need tweaking.
Sam

Offline Joe03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Wow, all great responses and I'm glad I'm not the only one with ups and downs.  I have noticed that I am improving with time and understanding things more. I know there will be bad days and even bad groups on good days but, I am really working on consistency, to be good of course. I know it takes time and luckily it's something I love doing.  Thanks for your thoughts on this.  Joe
Spirit 46# Longbow,

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
It will become automatic with time.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Joe - I was in the same boat last year and my solution was to seek professional help.  I don't want to start a "this guy is better than that guy" debate, but I went to a two day clinic with Rod Jenkins and what I accomplished in that time was to dial in *correct* form and learn a system for practicing correct form.  Now, when I have an off shot, I usually know exactly what part of the shot sequence was bad.  I've still got a long way to go, but I'm definitely not frustrated with inconsistent shooting anymore.

Good luck to you!

David

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
Everybody has bad days so don't let it bother you. Once you realize this you will do better more often. You will know you can do this. You will be confident at each shooting session. Attitude is everything. I stumbled acrossed a web site for sports psychology that was geered toward archery(for olympic shooters). I think it was called 10 ring or something like that. Even though your not an olympic shooter, it has many things that can help you get into the zone.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Everybody has bad days so don't let it bother you. Once you realize this you will do better more often. You will know you can do this. You will be confident at each shooting session. Attitude is everything. I stumbled acrossed a web site for sports psychology that was geered toward archery(for olympic shooters). I think it was called 10 ring or something like that. Even though your not an olympic shooter, it has many things that can help you get into the zone.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
I found it. The web site is called "ten zone".

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
I run hot and cold and take the bad with good. Some days I am spot on at various distances. While other days I can barely focus and hit the target. On my bad days, I just aim at the target and dont worry about the "Bullseye". Kinda like shootin basketball or pool.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Joe03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Took a step back and just shooting with out trying to hit anything. Just concentrating on form and of course,  I center group. Go figure.
Spirit 46# Longbow,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©