3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Progressive bifocals and shooting - yuck!  (Read 875 times)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Progressive bifocals and shooting - yuck!
« on: September 21, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
I'm trying progressive bifocals (any bifocals for that matter) and do not like them.  Everything looks blurry as your eyes move off-center of the lens.  Is this just because I'm not yet used to them, or is it just the nature of how they are ground?  Traditional bifocals better?  Or just stick to single vision in the stand?  Help!  :saywhat:    :cool:    "[dntthnk]"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Progressive bifocals and shooting - yuck!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
It takes some time to get Used to them! I have No-Lines and I catch Myself looking Over My Glasses for Up Close things, which is what I Paid for Bifocals to do!!
 One of those Little Life Moments where ya Just have to Make Yourself Find a Good Spot, and You will be Seeing Better than Ever!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Ernie Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
That is the way they are ground and if you have good glass you will get some what use to them in time. I got another straight pair of glasses for hunting. I didn't like moving my head like an owl to see things clearly, to much movement. They say some never get use to them and have to go with the lined bifocals.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Gotta just point your nose at what you want to see. Took me a long time to get used to my TRI-focals. Now I wouldn't be caught without them.

Good Luck!
... mike ...  :)
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
I like mine once i got used to them for every day life. CAN NOT use them to shoot. You turn your head sideways and you cant see the target let alone a spot. Had a pair of single vision made up for shooting and it works great. I can see cristal clear from 5 to 50 yards at any angle.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
I got 2 pairs, one for work-safety- and one for dress-up~(8o)

The safety glasses are bigger and round and the fancy buggers are small rectangly GQ thingys. I practice in these and havent found any problems until.....

I went to my club the other day to shoot from the 13' high treestand platform.  At that time I discovered that I was really going to have problems adjusting. I was spread out all over the place!! I quit after 2 rounds because I was having a hard time concentrating.

Now when I use the bigger safety glasses it is MUCH much easier to shoot from the stand.
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
It took a while to get use to mine, progressive lenses. I can not shoot my bow with them on. So I take them off. I got them to see up close with, so looking at a target or an animal is not a problem. You do have to "point" your nose at what ever it is you want to see.
Jerald

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Steve, I tried the progressives, found they are garbage.  Why should you have to get used to not seeing clearly?
There is no way you can look out the center of the lenses when shooting a bow.
I ended up with old man bifocals, much easier to deal with.
Dan

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I have an old pair of glasses that are too far off on the prescription, and they don't have the bifocals in them, I stick them in my bag when I go in the field.  It works out a lot better.  So if you have an old pair stick them in your hunting bag.

BrokenArrow 1
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Don't know whether it's a progressive thing or not, but I loathe mine for the number of times I've stumbled in rough terrain while wearing them.  I thought something was wrong with me, until I finally figured it out.  If I point my nose down in front of my feet, everything's fine.  But who wants to walk through the woods doing that?  And what's the point of bifocal vision if you lose an eye to a branch while you're looking down?

Trip to optometrist is on the calendar --single vision from now on.  The bifocal lenses never worked well in front of a computer screen anyway.  Rant over.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
I got a pair yesterday.....I can't stand the dang things.....you have to constantly move your head to see anything....I'll give it a week or so but I wanted "regular" bifocals to begin with and the optometrist insisted "everybody loves progressives"....at twice the price, he loves them.  I'll give it a few days but I'm ready to take them back.
homeru

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
When you get used to the progressives you will never go back. I worked with the doctor, took my bow and pistol in his office, used my usual sighting practice. He observed and marked my glasses to put the "sweet spot" where it would do the most good. Liek any handicap, (like my hearing and old age) you can adapt. Good luck
Prarrie Dog

Offline Blackhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
It's sort of focusing a pair of binoculars.  You move your head around trying yo find the sweet spot of focus.  My wife was watching me one night as we were watching tv.  She stated she would never get a pair of progressive lens glasses.
  :D
"When Bows shoot faster than 300 fps it ain't called Bowhunting no more!"

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
I've been wearing glasses since 3rd grade -- that's about 55 years. All glasses are a PITA, but I like my progressive trifocals best of any I have ever worn. Yes, they blur at the edges, but you can adjust to that. Put them on and leave them on, do everything while wearing them, and your eye and brain will adapt to them. I realize that not everyone can adapt to everything. I agree it's a matter of working with the dr.

Just my .02. Richard

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
It may just be a matter of getting used to them I wear progressive tri-focals and the vision for game and shooting is great. I for one do not see (pun) why regular glasses with lines would present an advantage-quite the contrary.

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I guess I'm the odd feller out again. I got new bi-focals (Progressive) and went to a shoot the next day and wore the targets out. I'm lucky I reckon. They don't bother me a bit and the headaches I was havin went away  :)

Brutus

Offline Full Quiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
I've had mine about two years, still shoot as poorly as I ever did. I can read without holding everything at arms length though.

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
My every day glasses are progressive , but NOT my hunting glasses, I have a pair of single visions that I use for that, they work great! Of course I can't read with them , that's why I carry my bifocals in my pack.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
I tried progressives for a couple of days and went right into lined bifocals.. Much more "user friendly" for me..

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
I have worn progressive trifocals for years. I shoot both archery and on occasion some long range blackpowder cartridge with iron sights and have not had any trouble. I recently had my eyes checked because it had been four years since the last time and my vision had not changed at all. Had a new pair of progressive glasses made with the same perscription as before.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©