3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why is My SUPPORT Arm NOT Getting Any Stronger??  (Read 416 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Why is My SUPPORT Arm NOT Getting Any Stronger??
« on: September 21, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have a problem that I am hoping someone can give me some ideas about.

I haven't shot a bow in a LONG time up until this year.  I wanted to get back into the sport so I bought myself a WARF recurve.  I knew I would have to go light on the limbs so I got some 45 pound limbs to go on her.  I started shooting pretty regularly about 2 months ago or so.  In the beginning I would notice my support arm and shoulder would get extremely tired LONG before my draw arm would.  I thought if I keep on shooting each day my shoulder and upper arm would get stronger, but that doesn't seem to be happening.  In the beginning I could only shoot about 35 arrows and the shoulder gave in.  Now I can maybe get 45 or 50 arrows in if I slow down and take a smoke break in between groups.  My draw arm and shoulder are nowhere near as tired as my support arm and shoulder are.

I just cannot figure out why my arm and shoulder are not getting any stronger.  After 15 shots I go and retrieve my arrows and I can feel my shoulder start to strain just by merely carrying my bow.  That kinda thing shouldn't be happening this far into practicing.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about it?  If there is something I can do to get stronger I would love to hear it.

Thanks for the help and your time.

Nala

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why is My SUPPORT Arm NOT Getting Any Stronger??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Shoot every OTHER day.....and your muscles will have time to repair and grow.  If you shoot everyday, you keep the muscles tore down.

Try that for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 03:28:00 AM »
Lift something heavier than your bow; your bow will become light

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
Pick up some light weight dumbells, there are some good arm and shoulder workouts that you can do, or pushups will help. you can look under workouts in a search engine, they alway has stuff it there that will help also.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline crittergitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
Nala, I'd say that Terry has hit the mark with his suggestion. Its the same method I use for strength training. Lighter weights, high reps and every other day. Every time you stress your muscles to the point of soreness you are breaking them down and after doing so they require time to heal and each time they will become stronger, but if they never have a chance to heal/repair themselves they can not and will not. Doing this with your bow is fine but I would suggest using something a bit heavier and just holding it in your out stretched arm (using the same motions from your side to shooting position)the same as you would your bow. Hold till your arm is beyond tired then rest a minute or so and repeat. Do this ten or fifteen times on the same days you shoot your bow and repeat this every other day. I think you'll be surpised how fast you can build strength in that arm and shoulder.
Quote from my son "Your Deer hunting just keeps screwing up our duck hunting!"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
Terry is right.

Also, pick up one of those rubber tubing excersise thingy's. On the day you shoot, afterwards, do 20 or 30 reps on both of your arm/shoulders.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
bow fit is awesome tool try it it works but as Terry said, not every day your muscles cant reapair themselves. Go hard one day wait two then again on the third.

Draw both right and left so your support arm gets strong as well.

Lader

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Something else to look into. Are pushing your bow arm shoulder too far forward. For best results the shoulder should be back and seated in the socket.
To experiment hold your bow arm out like your holding the bow. Push outward like your pushing the bow, this would be the worst way. After pushing out just bring your whole arm straight back you should feel the shoulder seating in the socket. This is the best way to shoot if you can get used to it.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Sounds like good advice all around...only tiny thought to share was something seen in a video the post above made me recall...

Bow arm should be like leaning against a wall with arm straight out... forearm is kinda 'soft' but if you really bear down...there's something about the bow recoiling more...

anyone else heard this? I can see how it helped my shooting but not sure my words make sense.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 03:14:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the tips.  I am going to start incorporating the ideas you all gave me for building up my arm and shoulder.  It's frustrating not being able to progress and more than what I have.
I have one of the Bowfit rubber band thingies and I am going to start using it after I shoot.  I'll shoot again this afternoon and then start some of the exercises you all told me about.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Nala

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 03:37:00 AM »
that and by not working out both arms you are going to end up lopsided.  I've noticed this when I started work out routines (ya ya trying to loose some weight like everryone else LOL), that my right arm, shoulder and back seem much much stronger then my left.  

Go figure, I've been at this 17 years now.

Work both arms, shoulders and backs, or it'll take forever to get there and you'll only be strong on one side!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©