3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alberta S&S bear hunt, the good, the bad and the ugly.  (Read 1641 times)

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alberta S&S bear hunt, the good, the bad and the ugly.
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Wow that is a great bear and spot and stalk to boot! Congratulations on a fine bruin.
habujohn

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Great bear!  Sounds like a really fun hunt! Congrats!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Congrats, great hunt.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Nice looking bear.    :thumbsup:  
Darcy
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
No death moan Darcey, more like a death gurgle. Now you see why I want that big knife. One of these days one might stand his ground.
lll

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
CJ, well done on a great bear    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
My bear was the 5th biggest killed last week out of 9 bears. All boars.  A rifle hunter killed a 7 footer and a 7 1/2 footer and I'm not stretching the truth on that. The 7 1/2 footer was the biggest bear I'd ever seen and the hunter plans on having a full mount done. He will need a Grizzly form to have it done. The shoulders and front legs were massive. All told around 900 lbs of dead bears he had to deal with between the two of them. If it were me trying to tree that bear by running after it and woofing, the chase would have been really short because the bear would have simply turned around and ate me. Now this camp is not the big bear paradise of the north, just a once in a lifetime occurrence I was a part of. The week before no one killed a bear more then 6 feet and a little, squared.  I just hit it when the clover was really starting to grow and the rut was kicking off. We seen a few bears getting busy and one got shot with a smile on his face.

OK, the rest of the story, I got two tags right? More stalking. More close encounters with bigger bears and more excitement. Guys that know me know I'm a straight up guy and don't BS so here goes...............In a bit its dinner time.
lll

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
No death moan Darcey, more like a death gurgle. Now you see why I want that big knife. One of these days one might stand his ground.
CJ,
That's one reason why I pack a big knife as well, but then I realized just how nice they are for other cutting chores, I always pack a big blade in the bush now.
Again, nice stalking, good shooting and great story telling too.
What was the broadhead you used......looks like a wide one from the pics.
Darcy   :campfire:
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Awesome hunt

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing, and I cannot wait for the story on #2! Congrats
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Wow. Real nice. So far so good. And yet another bear on the burner... Maybe.... Niiice

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 02:04:00 AM »
Great Bear... What a Meathead! Nice story bud. Way to get it done on the ground. Can't wait to hear the rest.Congrats

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »
Man this is great! Thanks for sharing.

Can't wait for the rest.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
I was shooting my Jack Harrison HHC 66"60#@28", 600 gr cedar arrows with a Mangus I broadhead. The weather was pretty nice, almost to warm for walking 15 k a day with spotty rain now and then. And the bugs were not bad, just a few skeeters.

We pulled the bear out of the bush and I'm used to getting to work on my kills right then and there but Chris was the "guide" and said he had do something besides drive the truck so I got out of his way. He did the gutting and we loaded the bear into the truck so he could take it back to camp for skinning. He did an excellent job on removing the back straps and boning out the ham, very clean with no hair on the meat (I should have tipped him more    :rolleyes:  )  John was dropped off at clover field for a sit and I was dropped off on a road not used anymore for a nice slow walk.  John gun killed a fair size bear and I saw only deer and one moose the rest of the day.
lll

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
Day two, more walking, more deer and moose but no bears until the afternoon. They were on the move, sows and cubs hitting the green stuff and boars doing a little feeding and little sniffing around for receptive sows. I was walking up a steep road to an oil lease area starting to think all this walking is getting old and there's another bear just past the lease about 100yards.  The oil leases are maybe 4 or 5 acres with a pump jack or two pumping oil. They are mostly bare except for the edges but there are a number of them where the equipment has been removed and the ground seeded with grass and clover. This lease had equipment and it was working. You really don't need to worry about making a sound with those jacks pumping since they are kind of loud.

The wind was wrong for a stalk and this wasn't a huge bear but I had nothing better to do. I decide to try to sneak up on it anyway, maybe just to pull it's tail.  I circled around and played the wind the best I could and did get to within 25 yards of it before it figured something wasn't right and bolted. About a 150#-175#, nice bear but I didn't want to kill something smaller then what I already had. I gave chase trying to tree it but my woofing just made it run faster.  Hmmm, a small bear that is out in the early afternoon feeding and hightails it out there when chased? He must have been chased a few times before by something a little bigger then him I'm guessing. I make mental note of that.
lll

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
Great story,..that's a fine Bear!

Waiting for the rest of the story....   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Thanks guys but here comes the ugly. And I only write this because it happened, not because I'm happy or proud about it. There are many aspects to hunting that extend beond being skillful with a bow. This part of the story is the mental side of it

It's few hours later around 8 pm,  I'm maybe 2 miles away form the spot I chased the bear earlier in the afternoon and I get picked up by Chris. I'm beat, tired from walking in the heat and would like nothing more then a cold beer or two but I have water instead. We start driving to were John is posted and happen to look up a hydro line (pipeline to us from the US) and at the very top of the hill 1/2 mile away is a bear walking across the 100 foot opening. Guess where he's heading? The  same direction as the lease area I chased boo boo a few hours before. He looks big. We have to drive around the hill to get there and on the way we pick up John then head to the base of the hill. Chris stops at the bottom of the hill, grabs a sandwich, takes a bite, looks and me and asks what am I waiting for?  Go shoot a bear. I'm beat and thinking "could you have parked a little closer or further up that hill" but I was just thinking it as I baled out and got a move on.

10 minutes late I am almost to the top and come around the corner to the lease and sure as poop there's a bear in almost the same spot as the first bear was but this ain't boo boo. This one is full size and bigger then my first bear.  Now, why did I need to kill a second bear? I wasn't thinking that at the time because I'm hunting and in that mode but if I go back again I'll only shoot one. I like to hunt bears and like the meat but have enough skulls and hides laying around the house. Sometimes it's best to just be happy with what you have. Anyway, back to the story. I circle the lease pretty wide and and come up to a containment berm a few feet high. I peek over the top and there he is snatching mouthful of clover like a black angus steer.  I admit it was pretty cool to just sit there and watch him being selective in his feeding. He only ate the clover, not the grass and he was kinda smacking his teeth together I could hear. Oh, I was about 30 yards away is why that is all so clear. I like 30 yards but 15 sounds better. His back is to me so up and over the berm I go. My cover? A 6 inch log, not all that much to hide behind if you're 6' and 185#'s. But what's the worse that can happen right? So I'm inching along getting closer and he's just eating away.  He stops, I stop. I get to about 20 yards and I'm flat out in the open, no cover with a full size boar that has me by a few pounds unawear I'm going try and stuck an arrow in him.  I roll to my knees waiting for the shoot and here it comes, he's turning right to left giving me a quartering away shot, I'm drawing, picking a spot and it happens. He turns his head and looks right at me for the first time. You know how everyone says look at the spot you want to hit and you will hit that spot? That's pretty much how I shoot. I was looking at his face just as I released and hit that big rascal right in the nose! Straight up the beak. I can still see that arrow flying in slow motion and that thought in my head ohhh nooo and whack, right square on the black of the nose.

Well at least he's running away and not toward me I as thinking as I jumped up and tried to tree him. But he kept moving across the flat and down the hill to the thick stuff. I picked up my arrow and 9 inches was missing and it had blood 5 inches up the broken shaft. He was leaking pretty good to. I just couldn't believe I lost it like that and shot him in the nose.
lll

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Wow.....great story.  Can't wait to hear what happens!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
I just can not imagine chasing bears trying to tree them  on my own.     :notworthy:    

Don't the bears usually chase you ????  

Great hunt and story!!!!
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©