3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bows shooting high---bowyers?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
bows shooting high---bowyers?
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
OK,just a little background,I've been shooting trad bows for a long time and making bows for almost 20 yrs.

I'm also a bowaholic and love to try different bows.Also like to see the differences in construction and design.

I've bought and sold over 50 different bows over the years,a lot of them high end customs.

My question is, what makes some bows shoot a lot higher than others? I've had a bunch of bows that felt and shot great,but I just can't get used to the point of impact.

Before somebody tells me to just keep shooting it and get used to it,well that just won't work because I make most of my bows and they seem to shoot lower,more to where I'm looking than other customs,but I still like to try other bows and would like all my bows to roughly shoot to the same point of impact.

The difference isn't speed either,I've just had 2 different 50# recurves that shot about the same speed and one of them shot great,right where I was looking,but the other one shot 8-10" high at 20 yds.

Difference doesn't seem to be tiller either,as I've messed around while finishing bows with different tiller.

When I make bows,I make them to balance on a finger at the throat with the shelf cut as close to the throat as possible,usually about 1" to 1 1/4" above.

I'm gonna make a new form this summer for a static recurve and would like some input as to what makes certain bows shoot to a lower point of impact.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bows shooting high---bowyers?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
One possibility is the difference in grips on different bows.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Grips may have something to do with it,but I have had "high shooters" with low and med high grips.

The one recurve I mentioned in my 1st post was a 50s style curve with a low grip that shot high,and that is my preferred grip.

I've had 2 different RER Arroyos that I sold because they shot high,and those have a med-high grip.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
If you shoot 3 under with your fingers an inch below the nock point, I've noticed if the nock is loose on the string arrows go high. I imagine the nock slips and slides upon release, if loose with the gap between nocking point and fingers.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
No,I shoot split finger.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Not a bad idea Bob.  I'd try nocking above the nock point. You may be getting arrow travel on the string when loosed.  I've seen it in slo-mo and it can be quite drastic. Or use 2 nocking points

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
I don't have that many bows but one of I my longbows does the exact same thing shoots high the only way to lower point of impact was to put the nocking point much higher than my other bows, afire asked me why do you have the nocking point so high, that's the reason.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
Overspined clarified what I was trying to say, concerning the arrow travel.

If fact, I have to get new, tight nocks for some of my alum arrows because the "classic" nocks are way too loose.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
If bare shafts are hitting high and straight with fletched arrows I don't see any evident benefit of raising the nock point.  You could try to play with string silencer placement or even different arrows but it is probably in the limbs.
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
I would think it has to do with how high above center the shelf is located.... If you are used to shooting right off the knuckle with your arrow closer to the strings center. (3/4" above center shelf) your sight picture is going to be different with the same anchor point with a bow with a slelf cut 1" to 1 1/4" above center...check those high shooters out for shelf location. i'd put my money on that one.....

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
I've seen the same thing with different bows and didn't know why, only that the high shooters didn't stay with me long...

Thanks for the input Kirk..

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
I would think it has to do with how high above center the shelf is located.... If you are used to shooting right off the knuckle with your arrow closer to the strings center. (3/4" above center shelf) your sight picture is going to be different with the same anchor point with a bow with a slelf cut 1" to 1 1/4" above center...check those high shooters out for shelf location. i'd put my money on that one.....
Yep!

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks for weighing in Kirk and Bill. I thought it might have something to do with either the height that the shelf was cut,or the shelf in relationship to bows center.

In other words,do some bowyers offset the shelf on the riser one way or the other?

Like I said, I balance the grips throat at the center of the riser,and then cut the shelf as close as possible,usually 1 to 1 1/4" above.

If I'm thinking correctly,you're saying that some bows,the high shooters,have the shelf higher than that,say 1 1/2" above the throat?

I just sold the one 50s curve I had that shot so high so I can't measure it.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Shelf higher than you are used to would be my guess too. I like my arrows low, close to my knuckle.

That's my biggest peeve with the Bear line of recurves. The shelf is much too high from the deepest point of the grip. Drives me nuts how they cut their shelf.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Could it be that the bottom limb is a lot stronger and just ahead of the top limb forcing the arrow to hit high?  I know I had a bow with 3/8" positive tiller and it shot very high for me. Regardless, if I have a bow that hits high I don't keep it very long.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Dale is it the SS that's giving you trouble?  I wonder why it worked for me?  I shoot split and the way I sent it to you with the string in place and nock set it was shooting right where I was looking.  Interesting topic.

Call Dan Toelke and ask him about it, if youre referring to the SS, he built it after all.  I'm curious if he'd say the same thing as Kirk and Bill.

**Edit:  glad to hear the SS is working.  Great great bow.  I'd like a 2pc someday.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
No Chuck, the SS shot lights out,right where I looked. It was the other bow I had for sale.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Gordon,as I mentioned earlier,it doesn't seem to be a matter of tiller. I've played with tiller while making bows and it really didn't seem to affect point of impact.

In fact the bow I just got rid of.one that shot really high was only 1/16" positive tiller.

Offline Guy Layton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Hi guys, very interested in this thread... I have two bows by the same bowyer which both shoot noticeably high for me...
I'm looking forward to hearing all your possible reasons to why this may be....
Guy

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
I am not a bowyer, but agree with the shelf height.  No different that switching a bow over from shooting off the shelf to shooting with a stick on elevated rest.  May just be a small height difference at the bow hand, but those arrows are going to shoot a few inches higher down range.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©