3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bows shooting high---bowyers?  (Read 595 times)

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bows shooting high---bowyers?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
I would think it has to do with how high above center the shelf is located.... If you are used to shooting right off the knuckle with your arrow closer to the strings center. (3/4" above center shelf) your sight picture is going to be different with the same anchor point with a bow with a slelf cut 1" to 1 1/4" above center...check those high shooters out for shelf location. i'd put my money on that one.....
I agree -and add...
that how the grip design applies hand pressure -
ie;hand pressure above or below the center of the bow/string

IMO-medium to high wrist [recurve or hybrid]shoot best with the throat of the grip close to center [shelf around an inch or less above]
where as a hill style grip on a longbow calls for a center somewhere closer to 2 inches below the shelf
--every groves I've ever shot has shot high for me!i wish I had measured one!
Mike

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
I know some archers that shoot both ways... off the knuckle when wing shooting and stalking, and use a lower anchor point with a vertical stance shooting targets. Especially long distance targets.

If you get a high shooter some time try raising the elevation of your anchor point just a bit. I know when i pick up a new bow, it takes a few shots to see how the bow shoots and I adjust my anchor higher or lower so it shoots where i'm looking.

You can't expect every bow you pick up to shoot right where you look. A man could buy and sell a lot of bows waiting to find the right one..... Seems to me the archer could easily adjust his sight picture to the bow rather than getting rid of it...   But.... to each his own...Kirk

Offline tnhornhter1099

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
I too have a few bows that shoot high, I found that when I increased the forward weight, going from 125 gr to 150 gr, my arrows hit right where I was looking, is there anything more beautiful than a perfectly balanced arrow arching thru the air and then hitting where you want it to? might give it a try, it worked for me, good luck
2-black widows 45# & 43# @28
leon stewart LB 50# @28
predator 47# @28
blacktail snakebit 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©