3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another question Static limbs  (Read 336 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Another question Static limbs
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Are static bow classified by the limb rip design or does the limb design itself that makes it static. Just trying to understand if it is simply just limb tip design or can the entire limb function determine if we designate it as static.

Thanks in advance
Pete
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another question Static limbs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
My belief is that the term refers to the tips maintaining their relationship to the rest of the limb throughout the draw whereas with a dynamic or working recurve the tips uncurl near the end of the draw...we have discussed this rather extensively in the past and a search should turn up some pictures to illustrate what I am saying...if you are simply thinking about buying a static tip recurve just do it...I have only had two out of the thirty plus bows I have owned but they are easily my two favourite recurves

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
The static tip will not move and cause the limb to bend in a particular place for any given design, so a little thought does go into it on the part of the bowyer as to how best squeeze the max efficiency/performance out of their limb.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
There really aren't any "static bows".  There are bows with static tips.... or bows with working tips.

Static tips, like siyahs, are rigid they act on the arow the same way an atlatl does - like an extension of the arm (limb).  Recurves can be static as well if they are thicker than the limbs and unbending.

Working tips, like traditional recurves, are like coil strings at the end of the limbs, adding extra impetus to the arrow as they unwind and the coil up during draw and release.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
agree...static tips do not open with the increase of draw length...they stay static to limb.

working tips bend and uncoil with the draw...giving more working limb.

both have benefits...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©