3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NZ Tahr hunt 2014- Pilgrimage of Adventure.  (Read 5440 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NZ Tahr hunt 2014- Pilgrimage of Adventure.
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
:notworthy:  This makes me dizzy just reading.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Awesome, Clint!

Keep it coming!

Bisch

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
way cool clint thanks for taking us along .Hell i live here and i don't even go down there as its to freezing for this old kiwi   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »
let's play spot the wandering bull tahr.
he's there somewhere. yep, that dot center frame is a bull crossing the big ice field. you can see the trail he's following too.
    CM
        PR
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
after a few days of exploring we found a good area which held good numbers.
paul had a stalk on a group but didn't have any luck and i left him to try again on them and moved along the ridge a bit. in a brief break in the fog i glassed a bachelor herd down a gully. i could see 4 bulls at first and was lucky enough to witness a fight between two of them before i set off down the steep slope towards them.
with the fog cover and some convieniently placed house sized boulders it was easy to get into about 35m of the closest bull. i watched him for about ten minutes and he wasn't moving into a better position for me so i figured i'd have to move around the boulder into the gully to get closer. a younger bull came into view now just when i didn't need more eyes, ears and noses. then more bulls appeared, they were everywhere. suddenly i was amongst the mother lode. i was high on the stink of tahr!
i was very carefully getting closer to the bull when the younger one caught my movement and bolted up out of the gully and whistled, stopping at about 30m. thinking it was over i decided to take the rushed shot at him as he was the only one i could see. not suprisingly it missed. then the bigger bull ran in front of me and stopped for a brief moment at close range. another 'quick, hurry up and shoot him before he's gone' shot and another arrow disappeared down the mountainside without doing any harm. i couldn't help but curse myself for blowing a golden chance at a trophy i've spent over 40 days over 4 years in the mountains trying to attain. 'never give in' is a good motto to follow though. as luck would have it they just joined the bulls in the group below them and started feeding again. i managed to get in on them again and ran out of cover at about 25 meters. i was perched on a ledge looking down at a mob of bulls numbering, on a rough count, about 12 animals.
this time the ball was in my court. i had time to shoot a proper shot. as i slowly stood up and peered over and got set, 3 bulls came into view on a small flat below me. i picked the closest one, which was quartering away (as if by some devine intervention) and went through my shot sequence. the arrow blew through him right where i where looking, though he did move slightly at the shot. still the intial reaction was-      :eek:        'i just killed a tahr!' i firmly believed he'd soon be dead. at the shot tahr went everywhere but not real far. the bull disappeared behind a boulder and didn't come out the other side, that was a good sign i thought. then i could see the others close by looking in his direction and i took that as meaning he'd gone down or was acting oddly. i let 15 minutes go by and nothing walked out from behind that boulder and the others had calmed down again. i could have taken a shot at two other bulls but i dared not get greedy. after all the effort over the years one bull would be more than enough reward and i didn't want to cause any more chaos, lest it disturb the bull i shot, since i didn't know if he was dead yet.
time was getting away on me and by now it was late afternoon and camp was over an hours hike away. i had to push the other tahr away to go and see if my bull was down. with extreme caution i rounded the boulder.        :scared:       , he wasn't where he should be! my heart sank. where could he have gone to. then i saw some fluffy hair in a small chasm a few meters further on. there he is!!
slowly i peered in there.....and what lay before me was the trophy of my dreams. 40 days in westland is what it took to get that tahr. blood, sweat and unashamedly, tears were shed in those days. i thanked him for the sport and sat for a brief moment as i reflected on what i'd been through in the pursuit of these mountain dwellers. on reflection, i realise now that the pursuit of this tahr and the chamois i was lucky enough to take a couple of years ago have taught me more about myself and my capabilties than i ever thought possible. it has tested me physically and emotionally and friendships have been forged through both shared hardships and triumphs. you'll never know what your capable of if you don't push your limits and get out of your comfort zone.      

my long awaited bowhunting goal-
        PR
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
with my pack up the hill behind me, having dropped it for the stalk, i had no option but to leave him there and come back the next day to recover some camp meat and the skin and horns. it was just too late in the day. it wasn't until i got back to camp just before dark that i realised i'd left my head torch in the tent for the day. had i decided to try and recover the tahr that afternoon i'd have spent a very cold unpleasant night on the mountain, since i'd have never been able to get back to camp without it.
it was simply, my lucky day. about time...

the following day we headed over towards my bull to recover it but hunted as we went. another break in the fog revealed a lone bedded bull. paul's turn. he got in real close-
      CM
      CM
      CM
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
Awesome animal, Clint! And an awesome adventure too!

Congrats, my friend!

Bisch

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Beautiful bull!  Congrats!!  Your story was inspiring!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
Awesome once again Clint. Its a real achievement to do what you have done.
That last series of photos of Paul and the bull are trophies too.

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
That's a wicked picture of your friend "really close" to that tahr.

Great and I really enjoyed the whole story.
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
Success after 40 days over a span of 4 years in some of the toughest terrain known to man....that is an awesome feat.  Congratulations.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Well done and congratulations mate!  Heck of an accomplishment for sure, looking forward to some more.     :campfire:    :campfire:

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
Oh man. Just AWESOME! That really looks like an adventure for sure!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
OzyClint, you DA MAN!  Congratulations and thank you very much for taking us along.
homebru

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
OH BABY!

WAY TO GO OC!

:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    

That is AWESOME!  Congratulations!

:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    

Lookin' forward to hearin'/seein' the outcome of Paul's stalk on the bull!

Enjoy the feast!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
ultralight is great but sometimes it's good to be burdened by a heavy pack!
  CM   CM
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
Of all the hunt stories and adventures I have ever read on Trad Gang this one easily takes the cake.  What an outstanding trophy Clint!  I couldn't be happier for you!  The amount of effort you have put into this over the years is justly rewarded with the trophy of 100 lifetimes.  Simply outstanding!
   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
Of all the hunt stories and adventures I have ever read on Trad Gang this one easily takes the cake.  What an outstanding trophy Clint!  I couldn't be happier for you!  The amount of effort you have put into this over the years is justly rewarded with the trophy of 100 lifetimes.  Simply outstanding!
   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©