3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 637 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Memorial Day
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
While it's easy to forget the reason for Memorial Day in the haze of BBQ smoke, the happy splashing of kids in a pool and fun on the archery range, we all need to take a moment tomorrow and raise a glass not only for the fallen, but to all that have served. To them, we say THANK YOU!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
In keeping with Memorial Day, while doing volunteer work at the Lexington VA last week, I met a WWII vet from the 88th Infantry Division. He told me that he participated in THREE amphibious landings in the Mediterranean. He was there waiting for his buddy who was in the D Day assault. His friend's LST, carrying 30 men, took a direct hit from an artillery shell killing all but two. How would you like to be carrying that around for the rest of your life? These ordinary guys did extraordinary things.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Hail to the fallen!  It is sad that before too long there won't be anymore living WWII vets.  These guys had the right stuff.  Sad that the current and future generations will have little to no concept of what a "righteous war" is.  Now all it involves is corporate greed and nation building.  Hail the Einherjar may they enter the Halls of Valhalla.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
Humbly agree .   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
My marine buddy took a head shot on the top of his head in Viet Nam. Paralyzed him on his entire right side.  The med team gave him "maybe" 15 years to live.  That was on 9/11/66.  We spoke just the other day.  He is one tough SOB.

Offline gedman59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
I had the pleasure of spending the last 54 years with a Man you just described nineworlds9.  He was my father and he passed away February 20th at the age of 89.  He served in the South Pacific during WW2.  When I was a little kid I remember my Dad placing the American flags on the Veterans graves on Memorial Day weekend for the American Legion which he did until just a few years ago.  Tomorrow I will pick up my Mother for Memorial Day Services and go to the cemetery to  honor him and all veterans.. God Bless you all.
Ron

Offline gedman59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
I had the pleasure of spending the last 54 years with a Man you just described nineworlds9.  He was my father and he passed away February 20th at the age of 89.  He served in the South Pacific during WW2.  When I was a little kid I remember my Dad placing the American flags on the Veterans graves on Memorial Day weekend for the American Legion which he did until just a few years ago.  Tomorrow I will pick up my Mother for Memorial Day Services and go to the cemetery to  honor him and all veterans.. God Bless you all.
Ron

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
To all those families out there that lost sons or daughters, or husbands,wives,brothers,sisters or just someone they loved because they gave themselves in service to us and our country... I say..Thank you! and God bless each and every one of you!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
One of my best friends in Greenville passed away a few years ago. He was a WWII P-38 Lightning pilot, shot down by ground fire over France. He was taken in by a French family after spending a couple of days in a swamp with a broken ankle and collar bone. He lived for many years with a heavy load of guilt.

The French family hooked him up with a resistance group who tried to smuggle him to a port where he could hitch a ride back to Allied territory. They were caught by a German patrol and the resistance fighter killed. Bob went to a POW camp and was afraid that he had revealed under interrogation the name of the family that took him in and that they were probably all killed.

Shortly before Bob's death the Greenville mayor received a letter from a French family trying to get in touch with the brave fighter pilot they had sheltered during the war. Bob found out he had not revealed the name of the family and they all survived the war.

Bob was not an archer, but was a heck of a shot with a rifle and handgun and at 80 years of age, shot one of the little Airweight Scandium snubbies with .357 Mag 158gr Federal Hydroshocks.

He definitely had a fighter pilot mentality until the day he died and I was proud to have him as a friend. I shoot the Cooper .22LR he gave me at our 100 yd egg shoots and it can hold its own against any of the heavy barreled target .22s.

Thanks again Bob!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
God bless all of our vets.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Me and five friends completed a workout called a "Murph" this morning to honor not only Lt Michael Murphy but all who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.  It was an honor.

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
To my mothers father...KIA in the black sands of Iwo Jima, March 17, 1945, twelve years before I was born. Rest in peace, sir. He is not forgotten though I never knew him.
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline carpin'mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
The numbnuts at the V.A. should all be working today to get that 'system' fixed and our fellow countrymen and women the help that they need and so rightly deserve.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
My father survived 45 combat missions piloting a B24 Liberator Heavy Bomber against the Japanese across the Pacific during WWII. He died in 1984. Though I am aware of the reason for today's Holiday, I still always think of him. He was as self-reliant and confident and as thoroughly good a man as I have ever known and Tom Brokaw's book title "The Greatest Generation" described him and so many others of his day perfectly. Today I think as well about how much all of us have been cheated by the deaths of those whose memory we honor . All their talents, abilities, dedication, honor and potential were gone and un-fulfilled  with their passing. We are a poorer nation for it.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
US Casualties Since 1775 to present approx:

1,321,612  - Killed

1,531,036  - Wounded

38,159   - Missing

40,000,000 - Served

Thank You To All
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Christ Jesus said..."greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his friends"
To all who have fallen in battle and gave the ultimate sacrifice....THANK YOU

Offline mzombek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
My dad Ted, spent 3 years in Europe during WWII. He had told myself and four brothers and four sisters his experiences during the war.
I wish that I had recorded those experiences  that he had and hand down to my kids, but I did not.
I am very proud to have relatives that have served to protect our country.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Yes!  Thank you to all who have served and paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. I can think of no better way to thank them than to enter the deer woods and provide meat for my family.  For this, I will be eternally grateful.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©