3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What all do you take on your person when actually hunting?  (Read 631 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
For a quick hunt, not far from the car, what would you take on your person when actually hunting?
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What all do you take on your person when actually hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I have a fanny pack that I do not leave the vehicle without. I have been in too many situations where a short distance turned into tracking an animal or trying to get on one and then having bad weather come in. Here in Oregon you can have two things that will totally disorient you. One is super heavy fog. Fog you cannot see 10 feet when you are in it. You need a compass and either a knowledge of the immediate terrain or a good map and know where your vehicle is and on what road. If not you can die if unprepared with means to make a fire and a shelter. Soooooooooo , I carry two lighters, a little kit with firestarter, A candle, a Space blanket. Heavy cordage, tp. Some trail mix and a stainless cup. I usually have some instant coffee or tea bags too.
Other items is a saw, tp and some flagging,any extra knives I want ect. and an led flashlight with extra batteries.
So far I have always found my way out but several times were iffy and extreme.
The other thing is similar and only twice have I been caught in it. This is a complete whiteout of a blizzard. Same problem of disorientation except a lot colder in most cases.
Once I just gathered some firewood and built a fire and regrouped. An hour later I was at the truck. Its amazing what just stopping and building a fire and relaxing a bit will do for the brain. Once I did that and made a compass to in the right direction ,after determining where that was,. I walked right to the road. I had to see the map in my mind though and need to stop to do that.

God bless, Steve

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
Very interesting
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
Elk hunting, my day pack is full, probably weighs 25#. But I'm ready for anything but dying!!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
Stupid Phone double posted for me!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:23:00 AM »
Most of the time while out calling I'm  les than  half mile from the truck. And on farm land. Deer hunting in the sierras I take the kitchen sink and the fridge.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56:00 AM »
I take the usual navigation stuff (maps, compass, GPS) and enough stuff so I can stay out overnight and still be reasonably comfortable in the morning. I don't bother with a cell phone - the places I hunt don't have any signal.
Alan

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
Here in Nova Scotia, it's law to have a compass (in working order - they say...) waterproof matches and a knife. So, those things plus water, "hunt candy"(Werthers butterscotch), mixed nuts and an apple, antacid tablets.
Ever the optimist, a drag rope and liver/heart plastic bags. Binocs, TP and an aerial photo of where I'm hunting.
Basically all pockets bulging...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
I usually wear BDU style pants when hunting and have most of that stuff (plus a few other things like flagging tape, tag material, etc.) in my cargo pockets. The other stuff I have in my Catquiver pouches and if I think I'm gonna go very far from the Jeep, I'll grab it up.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I too am usually no more than half a mile from the truck. I carry a light, knife, pull up rope (as I usually bow hunt from a climber), cell phone - just use its camera, calls depending on the time of the season, a screw in step to help with self rescue, license. That about covers it.
SWA Spyder

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by GDPolk:
For a quick hunt, not far from the car, what would you take on your person when actually hunting?
I would take a lot less than on a longer hunt a hike from the truck.

Quick hunts not far from the truck...I hunt pretty light....and voted as such.  Some of the items are situational.  I wouldn't need the flashlight if it was a morning hunt, and I wouldn't need bug repellent if it was winter etc.  Leave main camera in car and take hero pics if need be by going back to get it....and incidental pics with cell phone.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Vest pack with water, 8 oz trail mix, 50' real parachute cord, butane lighter and fire pellets, thin Space(tm)blanket, first aid kit, 6" Green River knife, Leatherman tool, silenced cell phone, carkeys.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
My Ribz pack carries water, GPS, first
 aid, my personal ekit, required meds, knife, more knives, rope, cell, radio, power bars, compass, binos, extra tab armguards, poncho.
My back pack carries all the extras. I can hang my backpack in a tree for a stalk while all necessaries are inthe Ribz.
Some things mentioned here will be included.. Good thread
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
I have stuff that automatically comes along..............I'd rather have it than need it.   :archer:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Elk hunting, my day pack is full, probably weighs 25#. But I'm ready for anything but dying!!
likewise!  One hour or one day, if you kill an elk there is a bunch of stuff that you need.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
I take some creature comforts with me like a candy bar, hand warmer (during cold weather) and a leatherman. Other than stuff like that, I don't see the need for anything else sxcept for maybe a small flashlight. Oh yes,TP is a must have. It can be used as a marker for where you last seen the deer you just shot. Other than that, I go back to the truck and dump off stuff I don't need and take the stuff I do need. Stuff like a knife, lantern, rope.....etc

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
I'm surprised at the number of folks who take cell phones along.  There's no reception where I hunt, but I doubt I'd take one if there were.  I suppose they can be used to call for help if needed, but the last thing I want while hunting is to be tethered to the modern world. To each his own.   :dunno:

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
I also have a fanny pack with everything I need that I never go to the woods without even just a hike or scouting.If I am hunting the mountains further from camp or truck I take a backpack that has even more items just in case I might need to stay and build a shelter for a overnight in case of an emergency.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Always a compass, knife, garbage bag, rubber gloves, water. Other stuff depending on where and how long. Oh yeah, and paracord.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
My pack before it got stolen always contained what I thought were the basics. Small first aid kit, knife, sharpening stone, marking tape, hatchet, game bags, maps, water purifier, rope, rain coat(usually cheap poncho), tarp, matches, Bic lighter, Zippo, Ferro rod, small container of fire starting material, pot to cook with, small fishing kit, Space blanket, Paracord, duct tape, Signal Mirror, Compass, socks. Most I could pack in the cooking pot. Rope, Hatchet, marking tape, maps, compass, poncho, game bags, and first aid kit would fit in the internal divider pockets. Secondary compass, zippo, knife and sharpening stone I'd keep on my person. I also carry one or two bottles of water in my pack, as well as a canteen on my belt. Base camp would be a lot more obviously. Surprisingly enough, it really didn't weigh a lot.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©