3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow  (Read 518 times)

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
I currently shoot a Samick SLB #40 for 3D and I really like the bow, but I want a new one for hunting (deer, elk, black bear) in a heavier weight. I have shot several custom longbows and honestly I don't feel they shoot better enought to justify their $600+++ price tag... I was thinking of getting another SLB but I have been also looking at the Samick verna, anyone shoot a verna before? Can anyone give a comparison of the 2?
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Buy a heavyer set of limbs for your bow.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
I would but it's a 1 piece longbow.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
I can't give you any input about the bows you mentioned, but a couple hundred dollars can get you a really nice used bow. It's worth becoming a contributing member here just for the classifieds. I've had pretty good luck with the big auction site too.

Happy hunting.    :archer2:
Live and let live.

Offline pghrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
i have read some pretty good reviews about the verna,a basic longbow,nothing fancy, some compare it to the martin, i see them used going for less than $200.00, rich pyle

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
as mentioned...i was looking through classifieds here and the other site and saw quite a few VERY NICE used longbows from top builders....Robertson, Great Northern, Northern Mist, Mohawk, Leon Stewart, Wes Wallace, etc.

and as far as "custom bows not shooting good enough for the cost"....haha...I remember when I first started traditional and got my very first recurve..Jeffery Royal Hunter.  Not the prettiest or the fastest but she was all mine.  I told my wife and my friends...I will never need another bow and would never pay the money they are asking for Black Widows or some of the others.  THis was early 1991 I think....BW was around $600 then I think...hahaha.

My how my thinking has changed the past 24 years. LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Do a search for Jimmy Blackmon's (RangerB) review of the Samick Verna. Very interesting video.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
I will look up that video for sure, thanks...

Brock, not sure how to take your 2nd statement? Are you saying I'm wet behind the ears??? Yes when you go to ILF limbs and risers with carbon/foam yes you will get a huge jump in performance... As far as a 3D/hunting bow there really isn't enough differance for ME between mid range and more expensive bows. I have shot quite a few trad bows and by no means am I new to the sport nor am I unqualified in my shooting abilitys to base my opinion about this. I see no difference between a cheap bow or a expensive bow shooting the same 240 on a NFAA 300 round... And I cirtenly would not pay a extra $500-$800 just for a extra 15 fps...

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
LOL...no I was recounting my exact thoughts and comments when I bought my first bow and have heard the exact same comment from dozens...maybe hundreds of others that went through the same exact evolution as myself.

that being said...I have never bought a bow for an increase in speed.  I have ONLY bought bows because first I liked how they looked, I respected the bowyer, I liked how I shot them....and if I could afford it.

speed has never been a requirement for ANY of my bows EVER....never will be as I dont care about competition, scores or keeping up with the guy next door.  I only buy what brings me pleasure visually and while shooting.

wasnt a slam on you at all....just an observation over my years....but if shoe fits....enjoy. LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
" And I cirtenly would not pay a extra $500-$800 just for a extra 15 fps"

I would, that's like an increase of 7 pounds of draw weight.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
That's the problem with forums and texting and e mails, you can never tell someone's tone, sorry if I came off defensive Brock...

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Check out the St Jude's Auction. There are a few pretty sweet bows there.

http://auction1.tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=200;t=000045
Live and let live.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
I'd suggest you look at the Bear Montana longbow.
I shot one several years ago & remember it was a pretty nice shooting bow.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
Life is to short to shoot cheap bows IMO....

Some guys go their whole life diving a volkswagen back and forth to work and are quite content....

But once you've slipped behind the wheel of a Ferrari.... You'll never be the same brutha...

Oh sure... it doesn't get you to work and back any better than the volkswagen does.... But man you are going in style, and the ride you get is much smoother and a hell of a lot faster. LOL

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
LOL....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Bear Montana would be my choice for a production bow. But as others have said the used market is also really nice.

If you are capable of sanding and spraying finish I would look into the 7 Lakes long night. For $300 you can get a custom bow blank that turns out to be a great bow.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Lots of options I guess, thanks for the input guys... I have shot a Montana and like my SLB better but I have seen the Asuble (guess thats the right spelling) and might check that out.

flashy isnt my sytle really so even if I had the $ I would still just drive a pickup lol

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
I've heard good things about Samick- I was going to buy a phantom but they were on backorder so I got the Bear instead.  You can always buy a Verna and sell it if you don't like it.  I know it's more of a hassle, but it should be an easy enough sell when they get to see it and try it.  Looks like a nice bow- same design as the Birdseye Banshee without the extra $200
Bear Archery Grizzly 58" 40@28

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
I think I am going to try it, the 2 Samicks I own are decent for them money...

Offline Mike89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
Good luck! And do us a favor and post a review once you've gotten to know it so that the next guy has a dependable opinion!
Bear Archery Grizzly 58" 40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©