3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Recurve Purchase, thoughts?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Jaydub

• Trad Bowhunter
New Recurve Purchase, thoughts?
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
So I'm thinking about making a recurve order in the next few months and I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm leaning toward a Blacktail Elite or a Blackwidow PSA takedown.  I already have a one piece Widow that I love, and I've never shot a Blacktail.  I'd like to get the bow with 2 sets of limbs, one for practicing form and the other for hunting.  My thoughts are 40lbs, and 50lbs (at 28", though I draw to 29).

What are your thoughts on the Blacktail Elite?

Have you had any grip problems?  Some people have mentioned some issues with the grip around their thumb.

Does anyone out there have 2 sets of limbs for practice and hunting?  Has that worked well for you?  

Does anyone have both a Blacktail and a Widow?  Do you have a preference?

Thanks!

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Recurve Purchase, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
decisions decisions.....never shot a Blacktail, but have 2 PSA takedowns(40lb and 57lb) that are awesome. ..the 40lb Ironwood will really throw an arrow

good luck on a tough but fun decision

Offline Lordswarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
looks like you already have two bows in mind but i would throw in  a bezaleel cougar by andy mccoy. i have shot it compared to a lot of other bows ( including a few VERY popular ones ) and in my humble opinion it beat them all in price, quality, speed, and overall good looks. just a thought.
good luck and enjoy the process.
1 Samuel 17:1-58 ... read it and decide; are you a watcher or a warrior?
Bezaleel Real McCoy 46#
Bezaleel Cougar 53#
Bezaleel Cougar 55#
Bezaleel lynx 55#
Leon Stewart Slammer 52#
Maddog Prairie pred. 45#
66 kodiak,68 k hunter

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
I have a number of bows, Robertsons, Widows, Cascade, and a few others with two sets of limbs for the very reason you have in mind.  Ironically, I always seem to just shoot them with the one set of hunting weight limbs, all in 60 or 61# at 28*.  But at some point, the other sets which are between 53 and 57# will be the ones that will get the nod.  At 73 the 60 and 61 are beginning to feel like 60 and 61.  I do have one bow that I have hd for 30 years.  It,too, has two sets, 60 and 74#.  That one I put away so I don't hurt myself.

Offline scott brightman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
Buying a Blacktail Bow would be the best investment
you would ever make.I have one that I bought from norm back in 2007.Norm will custom make your bow at your draw length and at your poundage. When I ordered my bow I told norm that I wanted my bow at 52#@25 inch draw and he nailed it. As for the grip,
I have had no problem. I did swap out my bowstring
to silent but deadly custom bowstring. Reseason is to get 2fps faster. Any questions,please feel free to PM me

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
While it seems logically that having two sets of limbs would give you the benefits of two bows at a lower cost, my experience is that I only end up using one set of limbs, so I end up with one bow at a higher cost    :confused:

Usually the bow is optimized for a particular purpose: hunting, target, etc., and those are the limbs that end up being used.  Maybe your experience will be different, but you asked the question.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
I second McDave's thoughts.  2 limbs initially sounds like an economical solution, right up to the point where you realize that one set is always on the shelf and is never used. I did that with a recurve early on and ended up selling the second set of limbs because I just never used them the way I thought I would.

Another manufacturer to consider is Bill Dunn's Zipper bows.  I've shot a Blacktail and a Blackwidow and the Zipper is the more pointable, quiet, and solid bow in my opinion.  Nothing against the others, just my personal experience.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I third McDave's thoughts. That has also been my experience.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Cannot go wrong with a Black Widow PSA... I agree w/McDave. If it's for target/practice/form shooting I'd be looking to have a complete second bow. If I were looking to make a trip and save space/weight, one riser & two sets of limbs may be more beneficial... Not trying to discourage you, a second bow just gets shot/used far more than the second set of limbs.

Offline Jaydub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
I can certainly see myself not changing the limbs very often, so, thanks for saving me 600 bucks.  In that case I think I'll get a one piece.  I've heard of zipper, I'll do a little research on those.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
I love my Zippers! There is one on the St Judes auction Right now! You should check it out.

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
Never handled a Widow I didn't like.  I've had 2 PSA's and 2 PCH's.  All great bows.  I've had 2 Blacktails.  I wish I would have kept them. Blacktails are great shooters and one of the best looking bows on the market, in my opinion.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
ooops!  i double posted here... lets try again...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
If you are looking for something custom built to fit your hand and shooting style. You might want to check out my web site while you are shopping.

Here's a Sasquatch SS i just sent to France....This one has a full overlay riser with blind limb mounts to give it the one piece look, that you can still take down to travel with.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
Wow nice one Kirk!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
I'm a big fan of Widows, and having shot and owned a number of different brands, I think of my 2 Widows (PMA, PLX) as the king and queen of bows.  I have heard nothing but excellent things of Blacktails, though.  Have you considered a Bob Lee recurve?  I had one on loan for several months and was really impressed with it.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Kirk, I love that TD method.  Beautiful bow.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
I've owned both and they are both shooters for sure.  The only drawback on the Blacktail is the build time.  Last I heard it was about a year to have it built whereas, the Widow can be built within a couple of months.  Best of luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
I echo the comments about two sets of limbs making a bow more expensive since you end up only using one set of the limbs.  If I had the extra coin laying around to have a custom bow made, Kirks Bigfoot Flatliner is at the top of my short list of bows I want to try followed by South Cox's Stalker Stickbows. Out of your list I would go with a Blacktail.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
I really love those Blacktail bows.. Really love the Widows too..!! Tough call? I think if I had to pick I would go with the blacktail..... beautiful and fast..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©