3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The questions I get asked by most compound shooters...  (Read 1396 times)

Offline coldpaddler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The questions I get asked by most compound shooters...
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 04:34:00 AM »
Most people are curious and want to know more about my bow.

My friends on the other hand usually make some sort of comment about the "kids bow", and I give it right back by talking about training wheels, handicapped archery, etc.  It's all good natured fun and we have a blast shooting together.

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
I like adkmountainken's challenge, too!

The most often question I get (in a condescending tone) is : "Can you really kill anything with that"?

I'll point to a spot a few yards away and respond with "Let's find out. Why don't you stand over there and I'll shoot at you".

No takers on tht yet!

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
I like it when they ask, Can you Kill anything with that....
    The "Bow" put food on the table for 1000's of years.
    And was King of the Battle field for 150 years in the middle ages....
    Can you Kill anything with it....How funny.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
When I started shooting, it was still customary to see folks using recurves at the archery shops and clubs. Slowly, as time went on, you rarely ever saw a trad bow.

I was raised around recurves, so I suppose I never questioned how well they could be shot or what they could kill. All the trophys and venison in the basement sort of put those questions to rest.But if you think about it, most any bowhunter who's came up in the last 10 years or so has probably never spent time around many stickbow shooters.

I can't say I've heard more than one or two snide remakrs by compound shooters over the years (and those people would have probably found something else to be rude about anyway). Almost without exceptions, when I hear questions like, "can you really kill a deer with that", they're out of genuine curiousity, not contempt.

I actually enjoy fielding questions like that. They give me a chance to talk about bowhunting and meet new people. And if in the course of conversation, the person wants to fling a few arrows, that's good too.

Offline Moengo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
What Jason said. Actually, when in mixed company I'm more likely to hear a recurve guy make a snide remark towards the compound guy, especially if there are more recurve shooters in the vicinity.
CB

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
them: "Those things pretty accurate?"
me: "Oh I dunno, people been killing stuff for thousands of years with them."

them: "Where'd you buy that?"
me: "Well I cut the osage myself, bought the bamboo from so and so, ordered the glue from Nelson Paints, etc."

them: "So how fast does it shoot?"
me: "I don't really care, as long as the arrow goes where I want."

Most of them look at my bow like they're looking at a brand new chain saw or something, then they grip their contraption a little tighter, walking away, as if to tell themselves "It's o.k. Just keep telling yourself you made a good choice."
Got wood? - Tom

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I have to admit, I am the wheel toe-ter, I am a pro staffer at Gander Mit.  When I tell guys that I shoot traditional equipment, they just say really !  And I tell them that I hunting with a double bull (T-5) but I also track game when I hunt.  What made me change was the heaviness of my equipment (wheels).  Two years ago I purchased a Hoyt Powertec.  I spent in the neighborhood of $1000, $500 on the bow and $500 on the best sites and Arrow rest and silencers and all that other stuff.  That was in the spring two years ago.  It wasn't more than four months after that I took it out hunting and found out how heavy it was.  Opening day I used it, that was the last time I picked it up for that year.

I purchased a longbow, from someone on this site it cost me $150, I had it for three weeks, it's just like someone said when you learn to ride a bicycle you don't forget, you see I started out at 10 years old with a longbow in YMCA Day Camp, that just a big word for babysitter, but it was fun, that's how I learned to shoot the longbow.  When I was 24 years old, I shot my first deer with a longbow, it was a borrowed bow, and borrowed arrows. I wish I would a purchased that one from the fellow that borrowed to me,  And then I made a mistake When I get older I picked up PSE, shot it for about 10 or 15 years, five months after I purchased my new Hoyt in 2005, I put it down after that week of opening deer season, and hunted the rest of the year with a longbow, I didn't have the Viper longbow for more than one month that's the one I purchased off a here, and then I saw another bow on here for sale, it was a John Donald custom five layer bamboo with Tiger wood grip longbow 48# @ 28" I purchased it.  I still have my wheels, but now I'm anticipating selling, I don't think I will get anywhere near what it is worth, but the one thing that I tell over and over again, is the story of my longbow last year.

I was determined to learned, and have the confidence, and the ability, and most of all, the discipline to shoot my longbow.  The story I tell is one that I never would have had the opportunity if I had my wheels with me at that time.  If I had the wheels, I would've shot, and it would be over.  But I had a traditional longbow and the discipline it takes.

I was coming out of my hunting stand, I track in about 2 mi. to the back of the property, I heard some coyotes, and I decide to go home, I came along some Pine tree that were about 50 yd. long, and three quarters down that Pine tree roll, was an opening diagonally cut, I stepped into it with my longbow, and as soon as I did, I said to myself "I should've done that" I turn my head slowly, and there he was looking at me, eight point buck and a 180 lb. doe, they couldn't quite make me out, because it was just at the end of shooting time.  About 20 minutes after sunset, my limitation was 15 or maybe 20 yd., both the buck and the doe stood at about 30 to 35 yd., I had to have the discipline, I did not shoot and take the chance of wounded a good animal, and every time I tell that story those same goosebumps arrive on the back of my neck and on my arms, as I see in my mind, that eight point buck, and the matriarch doe, walking off slowly, and I could not shoot, because the one thing that traditional archery has taught me, you must have the discipline, and count on the ability you have, and not the wheels.

I may not be the best shot with a longbow, but one day I will have "one" best shot that will count, and be remembered for the rest of my life.

BrokenArrow

Now, I am fighting the urges to purchase a black widow ! Are there any support groups out there !
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
I'm sure my response will get pulled...

I have found it very upsetting to have to defend myself to non-hunters who have seen modern compound and modern techno hunting methods on TV. I say I'm not like that, but they don't see the difference.

Tedd

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
We will continue to get these kinds of comments if we keep separating our selves from compound shooters. I went to a huge whitetail deer festival/3D shoot over the weekend. They had 213 shooters. Only 8 were in the trad class.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Tom A:  I couldn't agree more.  One group putting the other one down does neither side any good.

I shoot what I do because I like it - no more, no less.  Most people I run into while hunting are curious  and interested in my equipment.  

The funny thing is when I run into a nonhunting hiker they are the ones most interested.  Last week while elk hunting I got comments like "cool" and "that bow is beautiful".  This comes from western Washington where hunting is not looked upon as an "ecofriendly" thing anymore.  "[dntthnk]"
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
There are two sure fire ways to avoid these problems:

a) Carry a small hex drive cap screw in your pocket.  If the wheel bow guys give you too much grief....Pull out the screw and tell them you just found it on the floor.

b) If they are shooting along side of you, tell them you hear a squeeking sound from their direction and walk away.

:)
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
this thread has turned from "what odd things do you hear"? to "how do you heckle back.....

exactly the problem guys.  Take the high road.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
I really haven't received any hassle, or felt the division between traditional archery and wheel bows, they have a lot of questions, and sometimes they have looks on their faces that tell the whole story, but most of the time those looks on their faces, are the lack of confidence that they could handle a stick and a string.  I have never had anybody looked down on me because I was carrying a longbow.

In life, I think we have a habit of making issues out of nothing sometimes because we feel that people are thinking different things.  Life is all about attitude, it's just like the expression that you've heard before

"It takes more muscles to frown, then it does to smile"

We could turn that around and say ;

" it takes less effort to teach what we know, then it does to make someone think we know a lot more than we do"

And that's what's nice about a stick and a string, what's there to know ?

You nock,pull, release.  And if you do it enough times, you hit your mark, and it's not about how many times you hit that mark, it's about how many times you successfully try,

Because a man is not measured by how many times he fails, but by how many times he gets up after he fails.

Failures, and obstacles, are only opportunities, to teach, or to teach us

BrokenArrow 1
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I get the "How fast does it shoot?" quite a bit also. My answer is that it's 'fast enough to shoot through a deer. How much faster does it need to be?'

I'd say 90% of the compound crowd and non hunters are respectful to me about my equipment choice. Even more so after they find out it's homemade.

There are those others though, and I enjoy those guy's most of all!   :p
Hey, they started it!

:D

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
I hear most of these reponses as well. But if you want to get some funny looks. Walk up to a compound shooter and ask" WOW is that one of those new bows?! Does it shoot fast? Can I hold it?" Watch their expression and walk away with a smile. Had a friend do that once, it was hilarious!  :biglaugh:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
I cop many  so called funny remarks most commonly , How come your so fat ? selfbow shooters cant shoot good enough to hit the target ! , or sometimes when they are ganging up and belittling my selfbow I remind them of how vertical limb travel technology is a age or two older than the wiz bang systems on the compound and owes its roots to composite recurve development or remind them of the Ballista and its 1500 years old plus compound limb system . regards Perry
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I tell them I don't need no block and tackle to kill a deer, just a bow and arrow. It's all in fun, because I never have insults.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
My brother-in-law and I were doing a little prickly pear shooting in south Texas one year when a local guide stopped by to watch.  "Are you using those to hunt with?", "You boys might as well be chunkin spears!" "Why don't you get yourselves a real bow." etc, etc, etc. . .
Gary Logsdon

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
My stick is the brunt of much of a lot of Good Natured Jokes from my hunting buddies who shoot compounds. But I have never been insulted by anyone. In fact most are curious and complimentary.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
i don't like taking the high road when being heckled , never could, never will.  funs fun and i can take some good ribbing but ya can bey your sweet aunt Irene that i'll give more then i get as far as vocal jabs. i agree not to let john Q public see us bickering but we are mainly talking about being in a archery setting so alls fair.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©