3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Manitoba bound Tracy's story is started on page 5  (Read 2582 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Manitoba bound Tracy's story is started on page 5
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
I took a few days off work on both sides of the hunt to allow for leisurely travel. We stopped at Duck Mountain Provincial Park in Manitoba, about 4 hours from camp, on the way up. We tent camped for 2 nights next to a beautiful lake at an unmaintained site. We did some hiking and a lot of sitting around the fire doing nothing, it was great.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
We never thought about it staying daylight so late until we got up there and it was 10:30 before it was dark and bright sunshine at 4:30 am. Bill was grumpy about that. Oh well the scenery made up for it.  

A beaver that liked to swim by each morning and evening.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
i can't wait Bill!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
.....  To me the Boreal Forrest be the most peaceful , beautiful place on Earth !

Very much enjoying the story and pics  ;)
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
We rolled into camp about noon on the first day. Camp was 10 kilometers off the road, so we weren’t for sure we were in the right place until we seen a white peaked roof of a wall tent peeking through the trees.  Getting excited now! It was raining so everyone was in Ryan’s Airstream. We met another guide Manny and Earl who’s an aspiring guide. Brian “Big Sexy” Lance was already in camp and itching to get out to the stand.

Bill, AKA Eye Candy, had told Ryan, AKA Dapper Dan, before we left home that I like to hunt bears off the ground. No problem he said, I know just the spot. And boy did he ever!! The spot he had picked was another 9 kilometers from camp. For those of you who have been at Ryan’s camp you may remember Determination. Well this is about 500-600 yards past that bait and is set up as a Pressure Relief bait. Bill was going to sit with me to video, so we had to take 2 ATVs to the bait. During our adventure ATV ride we encountered some minor problem with one of the ATVs. Leaving us with one ATV, Bill and I had to go in one at a time. Bill went in first to set up the video equipment and then Ryan came back to get me.

When Ryan came back to get me he said, Oh it’s going to be a good night. There is already a bear on bait and it wouldn’t leave when Bill and I went in, I hope it’s still there. How big I said. Young one, not a shooter and NO it’s not BLONDE! Ok! Ok! I’ll try to restrain myself and not shoot the first one, which is hard for me since I am an equal opportunity hunter!

Sure enough this black 120#ish bear is STILL on the bait. Ryan and I go in, I get settled, talk some to Bill and it’s still there. He would look up every now and then to make sure we were still there, but obviously was not concerned. He stayed for probably an hour or so and got up and left.

Less than 30 minutes later another young black bear comes in and flops over like our German Shepherd pup and starts shoveling in the bait. Cool I thought, he has no idea we are 8 yards from him. Rope-a-dope, as we came to call the bear, was nice bear, long and tall, but skinny. He looked like an immature bear. Not what I was after. I looked over my shoulder at Bill who has the googly eyes for this bear and he’s saying that’s a nice bear. Yeah it is, but it’s young I said. Bill’s like you’re crazy, give me that bow! I finally convince Bill that I am NOT going to shoot this bear and we settle to watch him.

He did finally get our wind about 20-30 minutes into his feeding frenzy. He didn’t run off though. He got up and circled around us trying to get a better idea of what we were. He came close to us a couple of times. And when I say close I mean 3-4 yards! At one point he did a side step bluff at us while huffing and puffing up a storm. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous. I made sure Bill had the bear spray handy just in case he thought about coming closer.

He didn’t though. I think he just wanted us to know this was his food and he wasn’t going to take any guff off us. He went back to the bait, checking us over his shoulder every now and then.  He was there for at least 1 ½ hours before his posture changed and he looked off into the woods behind us.

Tracy

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Not Rope-a-Dope or Junior, just another bear I saw.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Rope-a-dope stands up on a fallen tree and is intent on something in the brush. Oh boy, I thought, another bear!

Side bar, I’m used to hunting fall bear in Minnesota. Great hunt, wonderful people, not the population of bear like there is in Manitoba. Me and the other 5 hunters have left a 6 day hunt in Minnesota without anyone seeing a bear. So this is awesome.

I look back to the left and behind me and just see this black mass in the brush. Is that a VW Beetle I ask Bill. I think it must be he says. This thing is big and fat. A mature bear, just what I’m after (even though it’s not blonde). I looked at Bill and said this is my bear, be ready. The black mass starts to move and Rope-a-Dope does not like it. They square off about 10 feet from each other, 25-30 yards from where we are sitting. They do some grumbling and growling and that noise that a human cannot possibly make and the VW Beetle sends the other bear into flight.

At about 15 yards the Beetle winds us and huffs off to about 50 yards. Doesn’t leave, but lays down nose up in the air watching. It would circle us trying to catch our scent, grumbling some along the way, coming close to the bait and then walking back off. You could just tell though this bear WANTS that bait. This all lasted about 1 hour. The bear acts like it is going to come in several times, but just won’t. At least not until Rope-a-Dope shows back up.  

Of course Rope-a-Dope is not worried about us and the VW Beetle won’t come in all the way to the bait. So he just comes back in and flops down. That was just more than the Beetle could take. So it comes into the bait and the 2 make challenging gestures and noises at one another, but decide they can tolerate each other as long as they were on opposite sides of the barrel.  

Meanwhile during all of this I have already drawn on the VW Beetle 4 times!! It would either lay down, turn and walk away or go behind the barrel. OMG right! My nerves are shot!!! My knee was against Bill’s leg and he didn’t think I’d be able to get a clean shot because I was shaking so bad. I had already decided I was not going to take a shot unless everything was perfect. Not with how much my shooting would sometimes vary.

Finally the Beetle gives me the shot I was looking for and stayed still long enough to make it happen. Thoughts of a few days before leaving home played through my mind, missing my mark way low and way left. I thought forget that, I’m going to kill this bear. I picked a spot, drew and had perfect arrow flight. The arrow hit right where I wanted, just behind the shoulder. You could hear the crack of the broadhead (Grizzly single bevel 155 grain) breaking a rib as it hit home. The bear went about 50-60 yards before Bill seen it go down. The death moan followed a few seconds later. Oh what a relief. A clean quick kill using a new to me shooting technique.  

Bill and I waited as long as we could stand it before going to look at my trophy. Beautiful. The VW Beetle turned out to be an old dry sow. I didn’t get a full pass through, but did get 2 holes. I was shooting my souped-up Zipper recurve, 40# at 25” (my actual draw) and arrow weight of 480.

Tracy

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
A great pair of pictures Tracy to show how pictures of bears can be deceiving...in the first pic that bear looks kind of wide across the back and the ears appear kind of over on the sides of its head...in the second pic it is clear it has "dog" ears on the top of its head...even the skinny legs and short claws say it is not a very big bear...intially I typed that it was not a mature bear, but then I remember a Fish and Wildlife Officer telling us about a nuisance bear she shot in Northern Alberta...it was a healthy bear and about a hundred pounds...she pulled a tooth and sent it in for aging to find out what appeared to be a young sow was actually a five year old...genetics and short growing seasons can really affect bear size

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
I'm not much of a story teller, but I hope you all enjoyed it. This was an awesome experience and I even enjoyed the adventure ATV ride. Thanks to everyone involved. Bill for setting it up. Ryan for great guiding and Manny for helping with the recovery. It was great to share a camp with Bryan and Earl as well.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I thought you told a pretty good story,congratulations on a nice bear!

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
A great pair of pictures Tracy to show how pictures of bears can be deceiving...in the first pic that bear looks kind of wide across the back and the ears appear kind of over on the sides of its head...in the second pic it is clear it has "dog" ears on the top of its head...even the skinny legs and short claws say it is not a very big bear...intially I typed that it was not a mature bear, but then I remember a Fish and Wildlife Officer telling us about a nuisance bear she shot in Northern Alberta...it was a healthy bear and about a hundred pounds...she pulled a tooth and sent it in for aging to find out what appeared to be a young sow was actually a five year old...genetics and short growing seasons can really affect bear size

DDave
The bear in those pictures ended up being a very aggressive sow with a 40# cub.Her cub thought he could whip the world and he did ok as long as momma was close by. The 40#er did push his luck with a 125ish pound blonde bear. He narrowly escaped in tact. Tracy and I thought it was pretty entertaining but that cub and momma did not think so. Momma came running in and sent the blonde out with his tail tucked.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Awesome Tracy    :thumbsup:

Beautiful bear and a fine story.  Loved all the nicknmaes...they are VERY fitting    :biglaugh:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Oh by the way. Junior came back to check out the barrel while we were field dressing my bear and heard us talking. He came to see what all the commotion was about.

A bear den we came across

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
A great bear hunting lesson there in the simple words "I have already drawn on the VW Beetle 4 times"...that is what let you make a great double lung shot with a dead bear close by, no fuss no muss...that is the sign of a savvy and ethical hunter...well done

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Well done,congrats! I ain't understud what bow you were shooting!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
Well done,congrats! I ain't understood what bow you were shooting!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
WooooHoooo Tracy, Congrats on a nice bear.  I love it when I shake like that - and I still do.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
I shoot a 56" SXT carbon and foam recurve limbs.

Tracy

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Other camp pictures

Couldn't leave home without Moe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©