3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tents "Fast Pitch" Option  (Read 526 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Tents "Fast Pitch" Option
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
I'm would like to hear from members who have experience with backpacking dome type tents that offer the "fast pitch" option of pitching the tent with just the fly and footprint. Pros, cons, features that make one make of tent with this option better than others, etc.
Thanks.
Kevin

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tents "Fast Pitch" Option
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I think it's only a viable option in areas of the country or in seasons when bugs are not a problem. For example, in the Sierras in California, you wouldn't want to do that in June or early July.  In the Wind Rivers in Wyoming, in July to mid August, etc.  I'm sure in some parts of the country, you would never want to camp without bug protection.

Personally, if I had a choice between a tent fly and a bivy sack, at about the same weight, I would choose the bivy sack for it's greater overall protection against bugs and weather, although it offers less mobility once you're inside.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
I don't have a dome tent but an MSR Zoid I,that has the fast and light option.I haven't used it yet in that configuration but consider it a great option and it just adds to the tent's versatility.I can't think of a down side.With mine,you shave a little over a pound or app. 1/3 of the total weight.I can think of a lot of times when this would have come in handy.

I can't think of any down side other than as McDave stated,you chose to use it when bugs are bad.Wise choice of when to use the option would cover that.I expect that by elk season,in the mountains,bugs aren't much of a problem.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Might consider a Kifaru tepee, or tarp tent. Very light and fast to set up.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
I've got a Hilleberg that can be run that way but I've never actually done it. It adds versatility if you only have one tent, but they're are probably lighter options if bugs aren't a concern.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the input thus far. Maybe I should explain a bit more why I am considering this option.
I currently have two tipis; an 8 person and a 4 person. They are great, and in the back country they are my shelter of choice.
I also have a 27 year old Eureka Timberline 4. I like the Eureka for its simplicity. Kids can set it up, and there isn't much they can do to hurt it either. I prefer the Eureka when I am vehicle camping and in a designated campground. The floor is nice to shield me from all the stuff on the ground in a campground that nature didn't put there. The Eureka is beginning to show its age and I'm looking at replacing it. I was thinking the fast pitch option might be nice on the off chance I didn't have the tipis with me and needed to get away from the road. Maybe I'm making the decision tougher than it needs to be.
With using the fast pitch option does the fly come all the way to the ground, or is it gapped up a few inches?
More thoughts????
Thanks.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
Not attempting whatsoever to jack the thread...

I have camped a fair bit, not a ton, but more than most and I don't get the "fly option" at all.  Even midrange priced backpacking-grade tents are just not that heavy and setup is 1-3 minutes.  

But most importantly, I don't need a shelter for the nice days, I need it for the crap weather.   You know, those days and nights when camping kinda sucks or worse it is on the verge of dangerous.  Give me a tent for snow, heavy wind, bugs, driving rain, hail etc.  I will carry the extra pound or two gladly to seal out the mess.

FWIW I have backpacked camped for weeks in CO, AK, MT, and the boundary waters in CA.   Like I said, not a ton, but enough to have been out in some real garbage weather with some real ridiculous bugs.

I don't know how you can make the assessment from home before hand or even from the bush that night whether you will need more protection throughout the night.

In rereading this, it may be a little harsh, but I really don't understand the tradeoff or the value of a tarp (or similar unsealed shelter) versus a tent.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Kevin,

I use a Mountain Hardwear Drifter 3... 3 man tent for backcountry elk hunting. They call it the "light  pitch" option... using only the fly and footprint. For less than 3 pounds I can have a shelter with two vestibules, two doors, and lots of room.

I have my tent and gear hauled in and then I make a couple of trips hauling everything out at the end of my hunt. I am retired and the time isn't a factor. At my age the weight is just too much hauling it all in.

If I were to have to haul everything in... I would definitely use the pitch light option. I have a Eureka Solitaire bivy... which is plenty light... but does not offer the room needed for a significant degree of comfort. A tarp in conjunction with the bivy might make it doable though.

Again... the pitch light (or fast pitch) option would be very viable for my elk hunt. No bugs by September where I hunt (`10,000 feet).

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
P.S. There is also more room with the fast pitch option. The fly is actually larger inside than the tent.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Just another tool in the tool box.  Might as well get the option if you ask me.  If you use it/need it one time, its worth it.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I don't think I'd buy based on that option alone, but if it has everything else you want, why not?

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
fnshtr, awbowman, and gringol, thanks for taking the time to comment. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
I use to be a big bivy sack guy. I had several different kinds, until 10-11 years ago when a friend found 2 snakes coiled up and sleeping under his sack. Needless to say all my sacks were sold with in the next month.... Did I mention how much I hate snakes....   :scared:    :scared:    :scared:

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
I had a kifaru tipi but now I went with a hilliberg. Great tents, expensive but will hold up in the worse conditions. They have many options, I would buy a free standing model for the hard ground. I use an Akto so I could go light and fast if needed.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
The only serious drawback to fast pitch options is that you have now created a single wall shelter. In cooler weather condensation becomes an issue if ventilation is less than perfect.

I'm sure you have had vapour build up in your tipis, but with tipis there is more room to keep from touching the fabric and the option of a stove to keep it dry.

It is a great option in a tent (free-standing still best), for that narrow band of perfect bug free/not too cold weather.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
I have a Marmot Limelight 3 that has that option but I have never use it.  I have bugs interrupting a good nights rest.
T ZZZZ

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
I do get Dave's point (not harsh- good insight): A) If it is good weather why even have tent? (bivy, simple tarp, nothing would be fine) B) If it is possibly bad weather you need a good tent.  And you may not know how much of tent you may need!  So- what is the benefit of just the rain fly set-up?
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
I hang a hammock and rain fly all the time.  Just need two trees and it is like sleeping on air, almost any season in Texas.  From when I stop at the tree it is up in under five minutes, usually three.

:thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 02:32:00 AM »
Bugs, snakes, and a place to put your night time stuff.  I know people that swore by the hammock tent, until they found that when they laid on their back at night they had serious back issues.  Also,  if it is raining hard and you need to get up to pee, happens to me every night when camping, if you need to put on a jacket, your boots, a head net or a rain jacket, it is good to have the room to do those things.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Has anyone used a blind for camping?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©