3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Fraying?  (Read 288 times)

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
String Fraying?
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
I keep having strings begin to fray at the nock tips. At first I thought it was a rough string groove but it has happened on a few different bows and all of the string grooves seem pretty smooth to me.  :dunno:  The latest casualty is a B-50 Flemish twist string that hasn't got fifty shots on it.

What gives guys?

Live and let live.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Fraying?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
Looks to be fraying where it contacts the string groove.  There can be a rough spot/sharp edge even when it feels smooth to the touch.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
Chad is correct. If this is a new Bow after you figure it out for sure, you may want to contact the bowyer nothing seious just maybe a little sanding and refinish,

If not new you may want to lightly sand with some 320 then put a light touch of super glue on the area.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
If it is happening on all your strings from different bows are you by chance using the same string keeper on all the bows when you travel with them unstrung?
 It's just something else to look into as well cause I use a antler button I made myself and I had to make sure there wasn't any sort of edge that could fray my strings..
Now my second questions is this "Are all the bows" the same make by the same bowyer ?
 Just trying to look into this to help solve this problem for ya...
 Just by looking at that pic it sure looks like it's resting on an edge somewhat..I know many bows will show the string loop with a little offset from a 45 degree angle like yours but I always wondered why most bowyers don't soften that edge to show the string looking like a straight line when strung but just touching the nock grooves if you understand what I'm trying to point out especially on a straight limbed bow...

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
The only string keepers I ever use are elastic cord and leather disks. They don't contact the string where it's fraying.

It could be happening when I string the bow using the push-pull method. I may be pressing too hard on the string as I slide it up the limb.

I'm gonna wax the grooves and be careful not to press too much while sliding the string up the limb. If that doesn't do it, I'll give the sandpaper and super glue a shot.

I'm sure it's user error.
Live and let live.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Check to see if the fray is at the point where the loop contacts the limb when you string the bow.  May be coincidence that it's right on the edge of the string groove (per the picture), but unlikely.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
Check to see if the fray is at the point where the loop contacts the limb when you string the bow.  May be coincidence that it's right on the edge of the string groove (per the picture), but unlikely.
It's right on the edge of the string groove. In fact it is on all three of the bows that it's happened(K-Mag, Hill Bow, and this one). I'm gonna wax the heck out of the next one and if that doesn't fix it i'll do some light sanding. Thanks for the input fellas.   :notworthy:
Live and let live.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
There is some awesome stuff called micro mesh finish sand paper that comes in grits from 1,500 - 8,000 that will smooth out a rough edge with out maring the finish.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©