3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what tree is this  (Read 583 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what tree is this
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
That is a Black Walnut tree. no doubt about it.  i have one just like it in my front yard.

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
Butternut ( sometimes called White Walnut ) and Black Walnut are of the same family. An easy way to tell the difference between the two is by the leaf configuration. A Butternut has two leaves directly opposed on the stem. Black Walnut they are staggered. The wood of Butternut is very similar in grain and colour ( that would be Canadian)to Ash.

Regards,
Dan
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
It looks like a black walnut (Juglans nigra.

This is one of the easiest of all trees to identify.  The leaves are compound which means many leaflets coming off one leaf stem.

The buds on the end of twigs are quite large and fuzzy.

Wood bark is dark, thick, and deeply contoured.

The best of all i.d. points is to cut a twig laterally (length-wise down the middle. The "pith" will be chambered instead of solid.

If this was an 80' tree with a clear bole of at least 8 feet long and 16" in diameter, it could be worth a lot.

The sapwood by the way, just under the bark, is light on the Black Walnut just like it is on many woods that are known (heartwood) to be much darker.

When in the Ohio squirrel woods in the fall you'll sometimes here a faint, rapid scraping. That's the sound of a squirrel gnawing through the nut hull.  It takes 11 Black Walnuts to get a squirrel through a hard winter day. Lot of meat inside but a lot of energy is burned getting too it. (Burr oak by contrast only takes 3 acorns/day to feed a squirrel.)

Sorry about the length of this but it has been a long time (38 years) since I studied this tree.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
Looks "butternutish" to me...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
A locust has smoother bark than what is in your picture.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words....but they can also be misleading. I'm 99% positive the tree in question is black walnut. I'm a logger. I also had the good fortune to move about 17,000 feet of dandy black walnut this week.

White walnut (butternut) has completely different bark. It is more of a gray color and it has a smoother look to it, and it has a more open bark pattern...it's hard for me to describe trees to anybody. I've been around them my whole life so I never put enough thought into the way they look to make an attempt at making detailed worded descriptions.

Once you get past the dark black outer bark on a black walnut, it does look almost neon green/yellow before you get into the actual wood. The outer most wood is white...they call it the sap ring/sap wood. The more white there is...the less a veneer buyer will pay for it. Then you get into the beautiful black heart wood that walnut is famous for.

In the provided pictures, it's a black walnut.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Listen to Shag.   I've been a timber buyer for over twenty years.  It's a black walnut.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
On a side note....NEVER cut a hole through the bark on a tree to see what the inner wood looks like.

I know you said you plan to harvest the trees for yourself so it doesn't much matter in this case. But if the tree were left standing to continue to grow and mature, that would leave a permanent scar. Anytime the bark is penetrated into the wood It shows. The tree survives but it won't bring top dollar in most cases.

Even if it was Osage...let's say you cut the bark on it now just to see. If it wasn't big enough for your purposes yet but you intend to come back and cut it in, say, ten years. The hole you cut would be a rotten (maybe not in the case of Osage, but most other trees) place that ruined the tree. The bark grows back around the wound and that spot of sap wood that is exposed is damaged (bad wood).

Woodpeckers are HELL on timber for that very reason. If it wasn't illegal, I'd kill every woodpecker I saw!

Just food for thought from a loggers point of view.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Definitely an Walnut.
James Kerr

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Black Walnut
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Looks like a Locust to me. Does it have thorns and a shallow root??
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
I was going to say either black or honey locust. Is it in some what of a marshy area??
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Locust leaves aren't pointed.

Offline M P Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
The trees are growing on a hill side with no marsh or swamp (all dry).  Also no thorns.

After reading these post and searching pictures on the net, pretty confident its black walnut.

In a couple weeks we are going to harvest the cherry and the tree in the pics.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©