3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snake skin prep questions for skinning bow  (Read 386 times)

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
Snake skin prep questions for skinning bow
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
I found the snakeskin how-to and want to do one of my bows, BUT I am not sure how to get from whole snakes in my freezer, to the beginning of the how-to thread. Obviously I skin it out, but is there any other prep or do I just dry the skin out and start at the beginning of the thread? By dry out I mean tack to a board and leave it there a few days. Do I need to put any kind of solution on it or anything? Scale removal? etc etc

All info is appreciated!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snake skin prep questions for skinning bow
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Tack to a board skin side up and let dry. Don't put anything on it. You remove the scales after you apply it to the bow once it is dried before you put finish on it.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
I'll just add,flesh any meat or fat off.A tablespoon works good for this.Scrape from tail toward head or side to side.Don't dry it in direct sun light.If you have some insulation foam board,you can tack it out with a staple gun very easily.I usually do my incisions with a pair of bandage scissors but a sharp knife will work.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
You don't have to dry the skin before applying it. You can put it on green. Scrape the fat and excess meat off first like others said. I like to wash skins in Dawn dish soap and warm water before gluing it down. Once washed, size the back of the bow and the skin and put them together. With sharp scissors trim of the excess skin along the side but leave them proud until after the glue had dried. If the skin is thin enough you may not need to wrap but with most skins you will have to wrap. I use strips of old bed sheets for this. I leave the wrap on for about an hour so the glue begin to set then remove the wrap and work out any air bubbles and excess glue pockets and be sure the skin is lined up straight down the limb.
 Once dry, tomorrow or longer I use a smooth bastard file to trim and dress the edges. Also after it dries you remove the scales and add your favorite finish. I like 5 or 6 coats of Tru-Oil.
 My skinning experience is on wood bows only but I don't think it would be much difference for a glass bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Personally,I wouldn't put a fresh skin on a glass bow.I can put a skin on a board,flesh side up and it will dry in a day.As a taxidermist,when I put one on a manikin with a water based glue underneath,it takes a month to completely dry.The reason is,the epidermis of reptile skin is naturally very well sealed in order top retain moisture.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Well Jim, you would know better than me. I've never skinned a glass bow. Thanks for the heads up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Yeah, I was going to say remove all fat/tissue,  clean real good with dish soap, let dry, then re- soften with warm water, pat dry and its ready to glue
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Ok thanks for all the info everyone. Does anyone know what type of glue I would use to attach to carbon arrows for wraps?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©