3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Accident  (Read 2999 times)

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Accident
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by countrygirl:
Kyle so sorry you were injured also so thankful that you posted this. Tom say...my Gorilla stand in the park has got to go or get new cables. So we will be shopping for a new lock on. I always wear a safety strap...usually I use the one withe prussic knots with it attached to my safety harness. Sometimes I will have a tree with my Fall Guy. We only leave one stand up all year and that is my "go to" stand. We always check all stands when we hang them and the safety lines. We always buy use new rachet straps each year for the lock on stands especially for the Gorilla in the park. Missouri winters takes it's toll on those straps and so do the squirrels. Wish we could just walk out to the shed and check stands today but they are about 1250 miles away.

I have LOVED that Gorilla stand and have killed a lot of deer from it. Always said it was big enough for me to square dance on it. I could turn and shoot from any angle.  

Stands been up there for ...8 years. The really scary thing is Tom climbing up the ladder stand to it and then testing it by giving it that little JUMP!

Thank you again for your post..praying for a full recovery for you.
I loved that gorilla too, such a nice platform, as good as the API Baby Grand I use as well. I never thought to check the cables to be honest, I've used stands with a similar design for two decades.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
I will use this as another warning about leaving stands in the woods!  Seen them perfect one day. . . chewed on the next.  I would NEVER leave a stand with straps in the woods. The salt on your hands gets on the straps and draws critters.  If you must leave it, use a chain.  AND NEVER leave even a chain year to year- the tree grows and puts tremendous stress on straps, chains, and attaching points. Leaving a stand in the woods has the potential of being a suicide mission.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
I will use this as another warning about leaving stands in the woods!  Seen them perfect one day. . . chewed on the next.  I would NEVER leave a stand with straps in the woods. The salt on your hands gets on the straps and draws critters.  If you must leave it, use a chain.  AND NEVER leave even a chain year to year- the tree grows and puts tremendous stress on straps, chains, and attaching points. Leaving a stand in the woods has the potential of being a suicide mission.  

Dan in KS
Good points, lesson learned.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
I purchased a treestand from the 8th dwarf some years ago held on to the tree by a heavy chain in the ad it was holding up a volkswagon. packing it around was a chore though.i never was scared of hts but I roofed a 4 story church steeple once and my heart was in my throat for awhile that day and I had safety lines always.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your accident. Wishin you a speedy recovery...  :thumbsup:  A few years back I had a close call with my climber. One minute things are goin good and the next moment I was hangin by my hands. Thank god for my HSS Harness. You cant be too careful....
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
We had one lock on in the shed. I think it is a Big River Stand and the airplane cables on it were fine no rust at all. we also need to check the one in out yard over the that ladder stand. We use that for target practice before the hunting season. We will consider...setting that one up yearly. I don't think we will leave any others up anymore.

Went to Gander Mountain in St. Augustine and bought a lock on Millennium Stand. I like the way this millennium attaches to the tree without a chain. I have a first edition Millennnium that is hard to put up because of the chain and the fitting. My husband always looks like a ballerina when he sets it up. But buy is that older Millennium comfortable.

I will test the new lock on out here in the yard if I like it we will go back for a few more. I also like the River's Edge stand with the extra large platform.

Kyle... you have gotta be on pain medication and you type perfectly!!
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
I'm on the good stuff...

I really like the looks of the milleniums, I might have to check those out.

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Bets of luck on your recovery. God's blessings.

Darren
John 3:16

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
WOW! I hope you have a complete recovery and glad it was not worse!

Bisch

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
I had a treestand accident last bow season and now have 3 plates and 18 screws in my leg.  Four months is a long time to sit and recover...and think about how a few hundred dollars could have prevented it.  Now I use the Lifeline and a tree climber so I am connected at all times.  It took a little longer but knowing it would keep me from the accident was worth it.  

Hang in there and know it will get better and you won't have to go through it again with the proper stuff and patience.  Take care.
-Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Bummer....

I fell about in 1975.....  It hurts for a long time..

Best of luck

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Kyle,
         I am really glad that you are going to be ok. I stay out of the trees for the most part. You get to the point where some things are not worth the consequences,tree stands are one of them for me.

Hope you heal up fast buddy and you probably ought to try to kill one on the ground this year.

Good Shooting,
                                                               Craig

Offline Air Cleaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Your lucky you didn't get killed. I hope you have a full and quick recovery. Looks liked you opened a lot of guys eyes, and may have saved a life. I'm a Union Ironworker and work at heights. I've been in the hole a couple of times. Your right there is no time to think about grabbing anything. It happens too quick. Stay tied off and live to hunt another day Brother!
SEMPER FI!        
 Montanna 50# Bear K Hunter 45#
           Bear Super K 45#
           Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#
           Redwing Hunter 49#
           55&58 Bear Polar 49&46#
           Caribow Tuktu EX 50#     
            JT Traditions Storm 45#

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
I steer very clear of nylon belts, poly ropes and cables. I replace all that junk with proof coil chain. It's "rated", impervious to moisture, won't rot, and squirrels really have a problem chewing on it. Best of luck as you heal.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
To the first poster, you're lucky all you did was break your pelvis? 24 feet? Wow, are you lucky.

I stopped hunting from tree stands a while back and I'll never hunt from one again, nor will my kids. The risk/reward ratio isn't worth it, on several levels. The main one being that you can kill as many deer from the ground as you can from a tree.

Having killed a couple 100 deer and been around many 100's more deer shot by others, I'm of the opinion that your best chance at a lethal arrow hit is from the ground, resulting in a double organ passthru, be it lung/lung/, heart/lung or lung/liver. The higher you get, the smaller the vitals become, when trying to maximize damage. One major hit for lost deer is a high, single lung hit due to tree stand angle.

I've mentioned it before, but a close family friend works on a medevac copter and my good hunting buddy is a cop in an area with lots of hunters. There are so many tree stand related injuries that it's really stunning. We typically read about the fatalities, but we don't see nearly as much about all the broken bones, shattered this and that's, wheelchairs, rehabs, etc.

I personally know too many guys that have had "incidents", and they came from all aspects of tree stand hunting, putting stands up, taking stands down, climbing in, climbing out, pivoting to get a shot and having something "give way".

While a tree stand can expand the view, it rarely increases the shot possibility cone. It's like playing with explosives.

According to the National Bowhunter Education Foundation, researchers estimate about 10 percent of hunters who use tree stands are injured while using the platforms. Investigators at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, looked at hunting accidents across the U.S. from 2000 to 2007. During that time, there were about 46,860 (reported) injuries to hunters associated with tree stands (Note: This averages to be 5,875 tree stand related injuries per year) mostly from falls. Male hunters were twice as likely to suffer a tree stand injury as females.

Here's a real eye opener (from a search)...

Richard McQuillen is a Master Volunteer Instructor with the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife.   I attended a seminar on tree stand safety and some of the statistics are eye-opening, plus he has some tips for deer hunters using stands to obey.  

Three to five hundred hunters are killed annually in North America due to an accident involving treestands.  Another 5000-7000 are permanently disabled, while 10,000-15,000 receive some type of lesser injury.
75 to 80% of falls occur going up or down the tree

Some other interesting tibits...

The researchers found injury rates to be highest among hunters 15 to 24 and lowest among those 65 and older. Gerald McGwin, M.S., Ph.D., Injury Epidemiologist, says the reasons for the highest rates of injury among younger hunters aren't clear. However, he believes younger hunters are not aware of, or may not take appropriate safety precautions while using tree stands (like wearing a safety harness). Younger hunters may be more apt to take risks than older, seasoned hunters. Alcohol may also play a role in the risk for tree stand-related injuries. One study found 17 to 18 percent of hunters injured during use of a tree stand had been drinking at some point prior to the accident.

Ohio State University Medical Center published a 10-year study last year showing "tree stands are the leading cause of hunting injuries in Ohio."
The study examined 130 hunting accident cases at two central Ohio hospitals. Half were because of falls and 92 percent of those falls were from tree stands. Only 29 percent were injuries from gunshot wounds.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your accident, but I do appreciate the warning. I'm going to inspect, and probably replace, the cables on my old screaming eagles.

I Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
A co-worker of mine fell and is paralyzed from the neck down. Wheelchair and he is dependant on care givers. He fell from 10 feet and lay in the woods for 12 hrs.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
I pray you will recover quickly and completely.  The same thoughts you shared about being nimble and strong enough to catch myself if I "started" to fall has been in my mind for 45 years.

I can see from your experience that I ain't seen quick until gravity gets hold of me!

I stopped using the Gorilla stands a few  years ago as well. I  use Lone Wolf and Muddy now. However, I'm sure these can fail as well!

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Here's to a quick recovery! man I have a severe dislike for Treestands. Looks like the ol harness will be going to BQ this year!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
I'm glad you came on here to tell your story. Hope you heal fast and back to normal.

I have a Gorilla hang-on in the woods that needs to be moved about 15 yards. Your story made me want to replace the cables with chain.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©