3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Accident  (Read 2998 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Accident
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2014, 02:03:00 AM »
Glad to hear you lived to tell the story.... i got a question for you. Has your wife grounded you over this one? Or have you grounded yourself now?

I personally prefer ground hunting.... good sport, and a lot safer.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery....

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2014, 04:32:00 AM »
Thank you for the post, as I am sure it will help a lot of people. And, like everyone else, I pray for a speedy and full recovery!

I'm a small, frail 330+lbs. so if I had been the one to fall from 24' I'd have probably fallen through to China. Lol. Seriously, I've broken bones falling from my own height, so this fat guy doesn't climb trees, because I'm sure that my injuries would be extensive, should I fall.

Glad it wasn't worse for ya!

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
Dang Kyle....I hate to hear about this!

I fell a few years ago from 16' ladder behind the house here (long story)...was lucky enough to walk home with no injuries. I have at least 6 of the Gorilla hang on stands that are approaching 10 years old. I do take them down every year but it makes me feel better that I went out and bought 6 new Milliniums (M-50's) this spring to replace them. (on another site I read where a new millineum product failed sending the hunter on a airborne trip!) Just goes to show you that anything can fail.

Here's hoping to a speedy recovery and some more memories with the Black Widow! Take care my friend.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, I think about it while hanging stands but a reminder always helps. Good luck on your recovery.

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
get well soon

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Get well soon, we're praying for you here.  I stay on the ground, because for one I don't like heights and for two have you ever tried to drag a wheelchair up a tree?  Seriously, I learned that lesson when my father fell and tore his shoulder out of socket trying to lean out for a better shot.

I wish you clean healing of the breaks and a good physical therapist, cause mine took my coffee and made me walk to get it.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
God speed. Hope your up and running by fall.    :pray:

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stringwacker:
Dang Kyle....I hate to hear about this!

I fell a few years ago from 16' ladder behind the house here (long story)...was lucky enough to walk home with no injuries. I have at least 6 of the Gorilla hang on stands that are approaching 10 years old. I do take them down every year but it makes me feel better that I went out and bought 6 new Milliniums (M-50's) this spring to replace them. (on another site I read where a new millineum product failed sending the hunter on a airborne trip!) Just goes to show you that anything can fail.

Here's hoping to a speedy recovery and some more memories with the Black Widow! Take care my friend.
Thanks Mark! Looks like I'm gonna miss the shoot at Tannehill this weekend. But I should be back on my feet by the first of August at the latest, so plenty of time to get ready for October.

I like the looks of those millenniums alot...a buddy of mine just bought one (the same one whose stand I was in!) but I haven't tried it yet. I know I'm going to replace or reinforce all of my lock ons with cables before fall...I don't think I'll trust those again even with a lifeline.

On another note, there's a possibility that Coach Viverrette and I are going to start an archery team at UHS next spring. There are 50 or so schools in MS with teams already and we know we have a number of students who are interested.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
I use two belts when having to unhook one.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
sad to hear of your accident. I read your post last week and this weekend I went to move a lock on to another tree. As I was 18 foot up and a little winded from trying to secure my stand on the tree. your post flashed through my mind.. I thought to my self I need a harness on!!!!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by David M. Mathis:
I use two belts when having to unhook one.
That's a good idea. If the lifeline concept doesn't suit me I may try that, as well as getting another ground blind. I killed my first out of a blind last fall, and really enjoyed that style of hunting.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by rolltidehunter:
sAs I was 18 foot up and a little winded from trying to secure my stand on the tree. your post flashed through my mind.. I thought to my self I need a harness on!!!!
If stories as these save but ONE person another fall...it's worth re-reading them time-to-time.

Deer & Deer Hunting did a stand safety survey YEARS ago...and 90% of all falls occurred getting IN or OUT of a stand... (not set up or take down or climbing up to or down...but that "first step")

Lifelines can take few tries to settle in and get used to, but now, with permanent locations, they rock!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the reminder and I'm thankful you're still here to tell the story. I use a system called the Fall Guy. It's a plastic box, which attaches to the tree above the tree stand. Then, you tie a string to the rolled up safety strap contained in the plastic housing. When you reach your stand, you pull the string and reel down the safety strap to the ground. You clip your harness into the safety strap, which then keeps you connected from the time you ascend, hunt and descend. Great system!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
How pricey are those Fall Guy systems? Are only issue is we have 10-15 stands permanent stands and can't afford to spend too much in each, so we were thinking of the lifeline. I know HSS had a 3 for $99 deal, and that seemed pretty reasonable.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by jkm97:
How pricey are those Fall Guy systems? Are only issue is we have 10-15 stands permanent stands and can't afford to spend too much in each, so we were thinking of the lifeline. I know HSS had a 3 for $99 deal, and that seemed pretty reasonable.
I think they're about $79-$89 a piece. I have two of them, and I plan to buy more. They're pricy but after tragic stories like yours, I don't mind spending the money. Glad you're on the mend. God bless!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Another system that I've used is this: I use my linemen's belt to climb up to the bottom of the stand, then, while leaving my linemen's belt attached, I connect my back harness above the tree stand seat. Once that is done, I unhook my linemen's belt, kneel on the stand and adjust my back harness higher up the tree. I do the reverse coming down. This system may work better given the number of stands that you have.

Another tip is to run a line from above the tree stand with a prussic knot for each stand. It's cheap and would keep you connected at all times.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
Another system that I've used is this: I use my linemen's belt to climb up to the bottom of the stand, then, while leaving my linemen's belt attached, I connect my back harness above the tree stand seat. Once that is done, I unhook my linemen's belt, kneel on the stand and adjust my back harness higher up the tree. I do the reverse coming down. This system may work better given the number of stands that you have.

Another tip is to run a line from above the tree stand with a prussic knot for each stand. It's cheap and would keep you connected at all times.
Thanks for the tips. I like idea about keeping the linemans built attached until you hook up with the main tether. I could do that pretty easy with no new equipment.

I can also see me using my climber more. If you hook up before you leave the ground they have to be a bit safer. The only problem is I'm still hunting out of a mid 90s Ol Man, so I think it's time to upgrade there as well. Might try a treewalker.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
Kyle,

That's a good thing about the archery teams for the school. I assume it would be AIMS associated? At one time I was told there were nearly 130 schools on the program. I know Todd and yourself would do a great job with this.

Sorry that you are going to miss Tannehill this weekend. It could have been a worse outcome. You don't want any memorial shoots in your honor:)

After falling from a stand and also having the wonderful experience of hunting upside down out of a climber (hung by my boots in the stirrups) I have finally got it through my thick skull to be connected. I use those three packs of HSS lifelines you mentioned....every tree, every time. I use a quick connect system from the line strap to the tree so I'm unhooked about three seconds as I switch the clamp over. Still working on eliminating that small exposure. I never unhook until I slightly bounce on the stand to test it...then remain very still as I swap the connection! It takes a long, long time to erase the memory of falling.

I like the Treewalker. Puts an absolute death grip on the tree. No slippage. Works great with a HSS "Rope Style" tree strap. I know one fellow that uses the full HSS lifeline and just lets it hang behind his stand as he climbs. He pulls it up when he gets all set. I asked why he did that and he replied...if something happens I want to be able to wrap the rope around my legs and slide all the way to the ground. Makes sense I guess.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stringwacker:
Kyle,

That's a good thing about the archery teams for the school. I assume it would be AIMS associated? At one time I was told there were nearly 130 schools on the program. I know Todd and yourself would do a great job with this.

Sorry that you are going to miss Tannehill this weekend. It could have been a worse outcome. You don't want any memorial shoots in your honor:)

After falling from a stand and also having the wonderful experience of hunting upside down out of a climber (hung by my boots in the stirrups) I have finally got it through my thick skull to be connected. I use those three packs of HSS lifelines you mentioned....every tree, every time. I use a quick connect system from the line strap to the tree so I'm unhooked about three seconds as I switch the clamp over. Still working on eliminating that small exposure. I never unhook until I slightly bounce on the stand to test it...then remain very still as I swap the connection! It takes a long, long time to erase the memory of falling.

I like the Treewalker. Puts an absolute death grip on the tree. No slippage. Works great with a HSS "Rope Style" tree strap. I know one fellow that uses the full HSS lifeline and just lets it hang behind his stand as he climbs. He pulls it up when he gets all set. I asked why he did that and he replied...if something happens I want to be able to wrap the rope around my legs and slide all the way to the ground. Makes sense I guess.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Yep it's AIMS. I think there are actually about 50 districts, which means more total schools like the figure you mentioned, if memory serves.

Yep, we may be slow learners, but at least we get another chance to hunt another day!

I may need to get a treewalker, I've heard they hold a tree like no other.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
Ask yourself how much a wheelchair, wheelchair accessible van and retrofitting your house for a wheelchair would cost, then multiply that by medical expenses. My guess is it's far more than some "fall guy" setup's.

Hunt treestands with the assumption that eventually you're going to have some sort of falling/slipping incident and plan accordingly. Guys will practice with bows all year and scout many hours, but then don't give tree safety the respect it deserves and demands. If anything, the priority should be on safety first and everything else is just the gravy of fun. It doesn't matter if you don't get a shot in a season, but it sure matters that you're safe in a tree.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©