3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you prefer B-50 over skinny strings?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you prefer B-50 over skinny strings?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
I have never noticed a difference in hand shock with Dacron or FF.......But I'm not real sensitive to hand shock anyway. I have friends that won't shoot my Hill or Hill style longbows because of the handshock.......I feel nothing. And changing the string does nothing to change that for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
B-50

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
B-50 here.....Ive seen no real improvement on my bows with FF and I have 8 different spools/colors of B50 so I have enough to last a lifetime and my daughter can still sell spools at the auction..........YMMV
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
B55....it's cheaper than FF and easy to work with. The arrows or my skills don't know the difference. A good hit is a good hit. A miss is a miss, and sometimes a bad hit.    :(
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
B-50 for me.  I have tried FF strings from a well known vendor on this sight, but I just don't like the feel.
The noise factor isn't a factor for me. I think you can quiet most bows down with a little work regardless of the string material.
To each their own.
Ken Thornhill

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
B55....it's cheaper that FF and easy to work with. The arrows or my skills don't know the difference. A good hit is a good hit. A miss is a miss, and sometimes a bad hit.    :(  
:biglaugh:  That says it all for me also.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Dacron has a lower tone at the shot. Skinnies need string silencers to get there...  Once your b50 has "stretched in" it is pretty stable.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Can't use FF on any of my bows.  One probably still needs its strings made of silk.  Course that's the price you pay for using a horn bow.  Glad to pay it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
swampthing......I agree about the tone or pitch. FF has a higher pitch than Dacron. Which may explain why I think it's louder. It's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
I shoot Dacron on my bows. It has it's shortcomings, mostly stretch, but I prefer it because:
1. Very quiet
2. Softer feel
3. 60#@ 29" it's plenty fast enough
4.  With a 14 strand my wood arrow nocks fit perfect
5.  About one third the price
6. Seems easier to work with
7. Easier on the bow
8. No need to pad the loops
9. Very quiet ( worth mentioning again)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
B50 for me. Easier on the fingers than skinny strings and generally quieter.When I buy a used bow I always order a B50 flemish string, usually before I receive the bow.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I never did get used to the "doink" sound when shooting FF. I prefer the B-50 "thud".
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
I use what works the best on the bow. I own a medium r/d bow that really shines with FF. Other bows I own shoot better and feel better on the shot when stringing them with FF.I find that certain bows like differing string materials AND HELP " TUNE " THE BOW WHERE I LIKE IT. Dacron is one such material for that purpose. Self bows and recurves always get Dacron.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I've tried both and it seems to depnd on the type of bow, but on all my d/r longbows it's FF hands down. I notice a faster and quieter arrow. I use 8 strand strings from SBD currently.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
B-50 for me.  I am going to have some built out of B-55.  Sounds like very little difference.  I have tried lots of different strings and return to B-50 for its feel, forgiveness, and softness of shot.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
i have some bows with B-50. i have changed some of them over to the higher performance stuff. i have yet to see any one type that has opened my eyes enough to  forget the B-50. i like it all
Kevin Day

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
I shoot B-50 on all my older bows. But the newer ones, I prefer D-97. Don't really care if it's faster or not, I just like the "feel" better.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
I am not a fan of B50 or B55,the only bows I have dacron on are a couple of older vintage recurves and I prefer to spin up and endless loop string for them.Everything else I use some form of a low stretch material.Just don't care for the feel of dacron.I have been making my own strings for as long as I've been shooting traditional for around 20 years.First thing I learned to do was to twist up my own strings.I use D97,8125,8190,450+,Angel Majesty and Ultra Cam and have no problem making them quiet.I don't shoot a FF type string for any performance increase.For me the bow just feels more solid and not springy.

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »
FF strings on all my longbows, once I make a string I stretch it out before I put it on a bow and my brace height never changes can't say that about Dacron. I have been using 16 strands of 452x and hope they never quit making that stuff!
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline GoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
B50 for me.  Have tried ff materials over the year.  They've always seem a bit too loud and twangy for my likes.  The few fps gain just isn't worth it to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©