3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bears vs. Vintage Bears?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
New Bears vs. Vintage Bears?
« on: June 01, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
In your opinion, how do the current Bear bows compare with the older Bears?

Been thinking of picking up a new Grizzly to replace a mid 70's Grizzly that finally delaminated.

The 59 has my attention too.

Thanks for your thoughts about Bears current quality.

Skychief.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bears vs. Vintage Bears?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
I bought a new Kodiak 59 er which is the replica of the 1959 Kodiak. I was able to compare it to my old 1959 Kodiaks. In particular I have a mint 1959 Kodiak 60" bow which is identical to the new one-same weight and length.
I shot the old bow, chronoe'd it and put the old string on the new bow and shot the same arrow; it flew the same speed.
So the new bow is a faithful replica of the original. Finish is excellent except for the leather wrap, both are smooth and equally quiet.   :thumbsup:

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I've had several newer Bear bows, a Montana, a Grizzly, a Super Grizzly, and a Kodiak Magnum (all of these have been 2010 or newer). I've also had the same models (except the Montana of course) from the mid-early 70's era. All were fantastic bows and the only thing I can think of being an advantage for the newer Bears is FF compatibility. I've heard of the Bears having issues with quality control, but I have never experienced it with any of the new ones I have had, as they have all been flawless. I want a 2014 two tone takedown next....

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
As great as the old ones are, I believe the new one are somewhat superior!! Definitely the tips are better... I will take either one though..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Find yourself a 40 yr old wheel bow that shoots a well as my 40 yr old grizzly and I'll eat my shorts. Trad bows are awesome old or new.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Norminator - Right on!!   :shaka:

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Norminator:
Find yourself a 40 yr old wheel bow that shoots a well as my 40 yr old grizzly and I'll eat my shorts. Trad bows are awesome old or new.
Yup.   :thumbsup:
Live and let live.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I found a 1964 Bear Grizzly that looks like it was made yesterday and shoots as well any bow I have owned or own today. If I could find any Grizzlies like my 64 I'd buy em, trade for them in a minute.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
I don't think there is much difference, We'll see if they're still holding up forty or fifty years from now. (Well, I won't). It's the history behind the old one's that really makes them famous. Just happy to see Bear doing what they're doing...Paying tribute to there past.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
Trying to decide between a Grizzly or Super Grizzly.  I wonder how much more performance the Super would give if each bow were wearing B-50 strings.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
I had a 2011 Grizzly and a 2012 Super Grizzly, both 50@28. I thought the SG may have been smoother and faster but it was probably my mind telling me it was since I bought it new, lol. If you can find a newer SG used, go for it. I do love the way the SG looks though.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
What's cool about this thread is that if you asked this same question 5 years ago the answers would likely be different.  Bear has done well with its focus on its trad bows.

I have only shot old Super Grizzlies.  I think they are smoother than regular grizzlies, perhaps a tad faster.  The ones I shot had a flatter cast at hunting distances than my standard grizzlies of comparable weight.  I think there are quantifiable reasons they are "super"
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
I have an older Grizzly and a new one, the new one is a nice shooter the tips on it are much smaller than my old one but the grip is a lot chunkier than my older grizzly and the bow being diamond wood is a tad bit heavier. The new Super Grizzly's can except fast flight strings, I have never shot one of the new ones but I have a 70's super and it is sweet.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
I only own vintage Bears, but have messed around with some of the new models. The Super Kodiak sure catches my eye. They seem absolutely worthy of the name.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
I only own vintage Bears, but have messed around with some of the new models. The Super Kodiak sure catches my eye. They seem absolutely worthy of the name.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
I own several old Bears and they all shoot good.  The only New Bear I have is  a never been shot Bear super Kodiak with Fascor.

Been looking at the  New 59er though and would like to try one out.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
The new 59er is what I am saving up for now. I have a late 60's Kodiak Magnum that is an absolute joy to shoot. I love them all, old and new.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Bryan Korte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
You just can't beat the looks and feel of the old Bears. Fabulous wood and great feeling risers with nice gloss limbs. My favs are the Grizzly and the Kodiak Mag about 1975 or older. I have not shot a 59 Kodiak from way back when but I do own the new 2013 59 Reproduction Bear. This is built exactly like the old Bears that I love. Fit and finish is just great, draws very smooth, and shoots exactly like the old Bears. Looking at the new bubinga take down in the future. Hope they are as nice as the new 59 Kodiak.
Any day above ground is a good day!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©