3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming elk unit 6 / Vedauwoo  (Read 851 times)

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming elk unit 6 / Vedauwoo
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Although I've been in unit 6 a number of times and did a little bit of scouting last fall, I've never hunted there. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for this unit I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Larry

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming elk unit 6 / Vedauwoo
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Maybe randy will chime in here in a bit. He spends MUCH time in there.

Offline Butchhe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
I never hunted there when I lived in Cheyenne about 14 years ago...just shooting and 4 wheeling.  If I remember correctly, on I-80 by the Lincoln monument at the top of the pass, there is a weather tower/station back there that has a good size heard.  The cows were always getting hit coming up the pass.

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
Thanks Art, I'll check that out.

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
I really thought I'd get a little more response than I've had so far. Isn't there anyone out there that's hunted this area before? I will say the time I've spent there over the years I never saw anyone hunting. I know it's not a large area by any means but if anyone has even hiked or camped in the area I would appreciate any info that you would be willing to share. I'm curious too as to what realistic expectations might be as to antler quality here as well. ANY info would be helpful and appreciated.

Larry

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
I really thought I'd get a little more response than I've had so far. Isn't there anyone out there that's hunted this area before? I will say the time I've spent there over the years I never saw anyone hunting. I know it's not a large area by any means but if anyone has even hiked or camped in the area I would appreciate any info that you would be willing to share. I'm curious too as to what realistic expectations might be as to antler quality here as well. ANY info would be helpful and appreciated.

Larry

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
I did a lot of rock chucking and coyote calling in that area in the late 80s and early 90s, mostly on the north side of the road past Gowdy State Park and closer to Laramie.  The elk sightings were feast or famine.  

D.P.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
I have camped and hiked there a few times, but not recently. Kind of a hangout for UW students, mountain bikers, etc. I'm sure there are some elk there, but I don't remember ever seeing one.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
It is right up the road from me and I have spent some time there.  I have only seen one cow elk there, a few mule deer, and some moose.  None of those were seen during a season.  Honestly there is so much activity in there from hikers, campers, horse riding, and especially ATVs (they are everywhere)that you don't usually see much of anything except people.  You can't walk very far in the woods without running into a giant camper or a road someone is four-wheeling on.  Most of the elk in that area seem to congregate on private land.  If you are coming from out of state, I would not waste my time hunting for elk there when there is a huge section of forest west of Laramie.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Suprised randy hasn't chimed in yet. I'll text him and have him write something. I think this is more of a wintering ground, for elk loaded with mtn. bikers and climbers.

Offline Knox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 11:13:00 PM »
THere is quite  a few elk that live in  pole mountain area.  They have become fairly adapted to all the activity and some of the biggest bulls I have seen were near the mt bike trails.  Pilot hill and the whole northern boundary is a good start as well as the blair wallis area.

Offline Knox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Also you have to have a limited quota 6 type 1 to hunt pole mountain. Folks are right the snowies and  madres have more public access as well as higher elk numbers and can be hunted on a general tag

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
I do in fact have the limited quota unit 6 type 1 tag. I've hunted and know the Snowies pretty well but have wanted to hunt in Vedauwoo for the last few years. I know the area gets a lot of recreational traffic throughout the year but I don't recall ever seeing anyone hunting there. I've hiked this area 2-3 days in each of the last 3 or 4 years and have never even seen another person on or off the trails except for campers along the road, rock climbers and plenty of road traffic. I'm excited to have a limited quota tag for a unit that I believe doesn't get much actual hunting pressure during the bow season. There must be some hotspots somewhere in this unit....

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
I do in fact have the limited quota unit 6 type 1 tag. I've hunted and know the Snowies pretty well but have wanted to hunt in Vedauwoo for the last few years. I know the area gets a lot of recreational traffic throughout the year but I don't recall ever seeing anyone hunting there. I've hiked this area 2-3 days in each of the last 3 or 4 years and have never even seen another person on or off the trails except for campers along the road, rock climbers and plenty of road traffic. I'm excited to have a limited quota tag for a unit that I believe doesn't get much actual hunting pressure during the bow season. There must be some hotspots somewhere in this unit....

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but this area gets plenty of hunting pressure. It is not that you cant get away though as you most certainly can and will need to.  Archery season will see plenty of non hunters about on the roads mostly. As you stated there will be rock climbers too. I would be happy to talk with you a little bit about some places that have good elk numbers if you like. We can go over some maps as well.  I spend a lot of time there and have hunted it a lot. Just never for elk.

Also in exchange for information you have to call me when you find a lion track. ha ha

Hit me up and I will help you all I can. I basically scout that area year round.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Randy is right - I have actually seen a number of people walking in and out of the woods with bows in that area while just driving down Happy Jack.

Offline ak213

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
In 2007 I drew a type 1 tag for this area. There are a lot of people that hunt it and even more recreational users. I was fortunate enough to harvest my largest bull ever that year. I would say that this herd of elk was the most responsive herd that I've called at. The bulls wouldn't talk much but would come running in to a cow call. If Randy can't get you taken care of you can PM me and I'll give you a few of the spots that I hit.
ak

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©